Aiptek camcorder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj94

Reaction score
I was looking at some of Aiptek's camera todays on their website. To be specific, their higher end digital camcorders and lower to mid range HD camcorders. Now, I want to try to fit this package into a rocket using a LOC 2.6" tube, but I realize that the camcorders I was looking at are too big to fit. Does anyone know if I can take the case off of the camera and try to squeeze it into a smaller space? I don't know yet if I will do this or not, it's just an idea I have. It's an idea that I would really like to do though.

I was looking at some of Aiptek's camera todays on their website. To be specific, their higher end digital camcorders and lower to mid range HD camcorders. Now, I want to try to fit this package into a rocket using a LOC 2.6" tube, but I realize that the camcorders I was looking at are too big to fit. Does anyone know if I can take the case off of the camera and try to squeeze it into a smaller space? I don't know yet if I will do this or not, it's just an idea I have. It's an idea that I would really like to do though.

I doubt the camera will get much smaller or lighter without the case. I haven't tried mounting one in a 2.6" tube, but in my 4" rockets I've just had the camera stick out the side of the rocket. That way you you have the option of positioning the camera so that it looks down the side of the rocket or straight out.

For the latest camera carrier, I scrapped the fancy way I used to mount the camera and basically just cut a hole in the side of the rocket. I made a platform in the rocket that the camera sits on then, after starting the camera right before launch, I use a wrap of electrical tape around the camera and platform to secure it. Then I put on the nose cone that's held on with a couple of small screws.

The eletrical tape works well because, if the camera tries to escape, it holds on tighter. If you don't want the sticky residue left on the camera after the flight, wrap the camera in a little plastic wrap first.

2009_03_21_13_22-001.jpg

The above isn't a great photo of the setup, but it's the only one I can find right now. The camera in this case is actually a Panasonic SDR-S10, but it is about the same size as the AIPTek camera.

I had to mount the platform about half-way inside the 4" tube. So, I think mounting the camera against the other side of the tube with no platform might work for the 2.6" tube. You might cut slots or create something inside the tube to use to anchor the electrical tape (or whatever other mounting method you use). You might line that section of tube with a couple to beef it up since it'll have a big section cut out.

-- Roger

Just tried fitting my Aiptek Action HD into a BT80 (2.6"). Part of it fits, but not all of it.

The lens area (and area below it with leds for light) won't fit.

Marc

I doubt the camera will get much smaller or lighter without the case. I haven't tried mounting one in a 2.6" tube, but in my 4" rockets I've just had the camera stick out the side of the rocket. That way you you have the option of positioning the camera so that it looks down the side of the rocket or straight out.

For the latest camera carrier, I scrapped the fancy way I used to mount the camera and basically just cut a hole in the side of the rocket. I made a platform in the rocket that the camera sits on then, after starting the camera right before launch, I use a wrap of electrical tape around the camera and platform to secure it. Then I put on the nose cone that's held on with a couple of small screws.

The eletrical tape works well because, if the camera tries to escape, it holds on tighter. If you don't want the sticky residue left on the camera after the flight, wrap the camera in a little plastic wrap first.

2009_03_21_13_22-001.jpg

The above isn't a great photo of the setup, but it's the only one I can find right now. The camera in this case is actually a Panasonic SDR-S10, but it is about the same size as the AIPTek camera.

I had to mount the platform about half-way inside the 4" tube. So, I think mounting the camera against the other side of the tube with no platform might work for the 2.6" tube. You might cut slots or create something inside the tube to use to anchor the electrical tape (or whatever other mounting method you use). You might line that section of tube with a couple to beef it up since it'll have a big section cut out.

-- Roger

Thanks, sounds like an interesting method. The picture doesn't seem to work though.
Just tried fitting my Aiptek Action HD into a BT80 (2.6"). Part of it fits, but not all of it.

The lens area (and area below it with leds for light) won't fit.

Marc

Oh really? I thought the HD camcorders would be too big to fit in the tube. I think I have an idea to make that fit then.
It's not an Aiptek but I put a FLIP mino HD in a 2.6 inch LOC body tube. The camera is probably $50 more than an Aiptek HD but definitely smaller and lighter, and easy to mount. Though, it also requires an external mirror to get the downwad looking video.

Link below:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3663

I just took a look at the video, and wow, the image is crystal clear! The camcorder itself looks very cool. How do you think a normal FLIP mino's (not HD) video will compare?

I don't know. The regular Mino is 640x480 resolution, so it'd be ok, but I figured if I was going to spend over $150 on a standard def camera, I might as well go the extra $50 for HD, so I did. You can get them for probably $20 less than what's listed on the Flip website if you check Amazon, or Best Buy.

The only thing I don't like about the mino HD is that it has only a standard def output (no HDMI) for connecting to your TV. To get it to play in HD on your TV you have to burn to a DVD using some other software to format the files for a DVD player. The new Flip Ultra HD has an HDMI output but it is not as small as the Mino.

Back