New scratch build, Hanna & Nicole

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Two of the girls at work have asked me when I was going to name rockets after them. Meet Hanna and Nicole. It's a simple design, BT-60, elliptical fins and nose cone, zipperless, 24mm motor mount, and about 30" long. Hanna will be black and white, and Nicole will be pink and white. The colors match their personalities. LOL

elliptical_long_blk_wht.jpg

elliptical_long_pink_wht2.jpg

screenshot.jpg

View attachment Hanna_Nicole_elliptical_long.ork

The fins are 1/8" birch plywood. I pinned them with 3/16" dowels, and cut them with the bandsaw. I match sanded them with the stationary sander.

01_fins.jpg

03_fins.jpg

04_fins.jpg

05_fins.jpg

08_fins.jpg

The body tubes are Estes BT-60, which I cut to length with the bandsaw. I flooded the cut ends with thin CA so I could sand them smooth. I cut the centering rings out of light ply with hole saws as usual, and trimmed them to final size with the wood lathe and Dremel. The small discs will be the half moon baffles. I epoxied the forward rings to the motor tubes.

13_body_tubes.jpg

14_ca.jpg

16_centering_rings.jpg

18_discs.jpg

19_motor_mounts.jpg

I ordered Estes couplers, but they're only 1-1/2" long and way too short. I had one Surefire coupler from Hobbylinc, but it's only 2" long. I need longer couplers for the zipperless baffle, so I ordered some 4" long ones from BMS. I drilled the baffle plates with a 3/16" drill bit, and plugged the pilot holes.

20_couplers.jpg

22_baffle.jpg

23_baffles.jpg

26_baffles.jpg

28_plugs.jpg

I cut the half moon baffles, and drilled the 5/32" holes in the baffle plates for the small eyebolts. I epoxied the half moons in the motor tubes, coating the backs with epoxy to protect them from the heat of the ejection charges.

29_discs.jpg

31_baffles.jpg

32_baffles.jpg

33_baffles.jpg

34_baffles.jpg

I ordered pink and black 24" nylon parachutes, but they may be too big. I might need to go with 18". Motor blocks were epoxied into the motor tubes, the motor hooks were installed, and the eyebolt nuts coated with epoxy.

36_chutes.jpg

37_motor_block.jpg

38_motor_mounts.jpg

40__motor_hooks.jpg

41_baffle_plate.jpg

I cut the fin slots with an X-Acto knife. I had to sand a corner off each fin to allow clearance for the epoxy fillets on the aft centering rings. The fins were epoxied on with my homemade fin alignment guide as usual.

42_fins.jpg

44_slots.jpg

45_fins.jpg

46_fins.jpg

47_fins.jpg

I used Titebond molding glue for the fin fillets, and attached the 3/16" launch lugs with epoxy. I think the rockets are gonna look cute!

48_fillets.jpg

49_fillets.jpg

50_launch_lugs.jpg

51_launch_lug.jpg

53_rockets.jpg

qquake2k said:
I used Titebond molding glue for the fin fillets, and attached the 3/16" launch lugs with epoxy. I think the rockets are gonna look cute!

Wow nice looking rockets so far, could you post a launch vid sometime?

Wow nice looking rockets so far, could you post a launch vid sometime?

Sure, as soon as I launch them. I take vids of almost all of my launches. Since these will fly on D's or E's, I might launch them in the park instead of waiting for the next club launch in October or November.

You can just cut big vent holes in the chutes using a soldering iron if you are concerned about excessively slow descent.

I can only find one MAJOR flaw in these rockets. There is something wrong with a girly rocket made zipperless......:rofl::wink: Aside from that, great build!

Nice looking rockets, Jim.

Ideally, you get both of them to press the button when launch season rolls around. I'm sure Hanna would be up for it as she's attended more launches than the average person. Dunno about Nicole thos as I've never made her acquaintance.

Drag race them perhaps?

You can just cut big vent holes in the chutes using a soldering iron if you are concerned about excessively slow descent.

No, I was more concerned about the parachutes' bulk and weight.

Nice looking rockets, Jim.

Ideally, you get both of them to press the button when launch season rolls around. I'm sure Hanna would be up for it as she's attended more launches than the average person. Dunno about Nicole thos as I've never made her acquaintance.

Drag race them perhaps?

Yeah, Hanna will be up for it. Nicole, I don't know yet. She has talked about going to a launch, but I can't really see her going, for some reason. Wind and dirt don't seem to be her thing. But she is full of surprises, so who knows? And like I said, we may launch them at the park. They'll go under 300 feet on C11's. I thought about drag racing them, but if both girls are there, they may each want to press the button for their rocket.

I ordered the decals today. Originally, I was planning on having them write their names with a Sharpie and scanning them. But frankly, their handwriting is kind of boring. So I ordered decals from the scans and decals in Brushscript. I'll decide which look better when I get them. Either way, the decals will be white on the colored upper body tubes.

hanna.jpg

hanna_scan_hires4.jpg

nicole.jpg

nicole_scan_hires2.jpg

Got the fins sealed and sanded, and the rockets primered. Looks like I still have some sanding to do.

55_primer.jpg

56_primer.jpg

57_primer.jpg

58_epoxy.jpg

59_epoxy.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how these are turning out. I think they're going to look good with their two-tone paint jobs.

60_rockets.jpg

Two rockets with two tone paint jobs.
You are a glutting for paint punishment.:bangbang:
They look cool up to this point....:p

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment. I don't think it's going to be too bad, though. I don't need to mask anything on the upper body tubes. I will need to mask the fins, but I'm going to cut along the tape with an X-Acto knife before I pull it off this time. Hopefully that'll keep the paint from peeling.

I got the 4" long couplers from BMS. They were a little tight, so I sanded them a bit on the lathe. Normally I would flood one end with thin CA, but the bottle of CA I have got thick. Not sure if it thickened in the heat of the garage (although that's never happened before), or if maybe it's actually medium CA with the wrong label on it. Regardless, I was afraid it would be too thick.

I've always wondered if you could use something besides CA for this. I decided to try sanding sealer. I sprayed a couple of coats on it, and sanded and polished it on the lathe once it had dried. Smooth as glass!

61_coupler.jpg

62_coupler.jpg

63_coupler.jpg

64_coupler.jpg

65_coupler.jpg

I epoxied the baffle plates into the couplers, and painted one of the body tubes pink. O1d_dude's favorite paint!

67_couplers.jpg

68_pink.jpg

69_pink.jpg

70_pink.jpg

66_couplers.jpg

Painted the nose cones gloss white. It didn't dry as quickly as I thought it would. Oops! Also painted the other body tube gloss black.

71_nose_cones.jpg

72_fingerprint.jpg

73_black.jpg

74_black.jpg

Back