42 years... man....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for man kind...

Seems like it was yesterday....

Being so young at the time, I have a very vague memory of that wondrous day.
:wink:
One thing I do miss is the sense of excitement the space program aroused in us, those were heady days.....

Last edited:
I actually remember that day very well .I was 8 years old and was watching the TV and making a command module out of toilette paper tubes and cardboard at the same time.

Great memories

Paul T

I was 10. It was a hot Summer day in Rochester NY. The door in the living room was open to let some air in. I was watching TV and playing with Hot Wheels(tm). Landing was in late afternoon... giant leap was nearer to midnight.

And I would launch rockets at Longridge Middle School on Mt Read Blvd with my friend Mike...

<sigh>:(:(:(:(:(

I never thought I would see the first and the last men to walk on the moon in my lifetime. :(

I remember that day so well. I was at a friend's house, getting his car ready for a big driving vacation, and we were at his house. We kept going inside for updates throughout the day. Tha evening we sat in his living room with his parents, and watched the TV coverage of the Moon Walk. I felt sorry for the guys I worked with (at a burger joint) ... they missed the whole thing while at work that night. But it was their fault for not planning to have the time off!

I pursued Aerospace Engineering in college due to model rocketry, the space program in general, and the Apollo program in particular. When it was obvious that the program was geting defunded, and then later missions cancelled, I switched to Electrical Engineering. My first job was at the Naval Weapons Center, working on Sidewinder, Shrike, and other missile-related projects. Not as exciting as Apollo, but still pretty fun for a first job after graduating. My new bride was not that enamored with moving from Colorado to the Mojave Desert ... :rolleyes: It lasted about 18 months, and then on to the private sector.

Sorry, got a little sidetracked, but growing up in the 60s and 70s with model rockets and Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo space programs made for a pretty exciting time to experience.

It must have been so exciting back then. My earliest memory of the space program was the Challenger disaster when I was 6. :(

Also we weren't allowed to have rockets when I was a kid because my mom worked in the emergency room and my parents wanted us to have all our fingers... But that's okay, it's just as fun at 31!

I was running around the kitchen and my dad was watching it on a 13" B+W, He said Sit down and watch this it is something you are gonna remember. He was right.

I was a week away from turning 13 and very jealous of my friend, Dee Dee, because this happened on his birthday and not mine. We were visiting a neighbor and watched it at their house. I don't remember if it was a moon-landing party or just a party. If the viewing wasn't planned, I'm sure I would have "insisted" we tune it in.

Wow. What a PITA kid I was (am?). ;)

I was seven, Dad in Nam, Mom called me in to watch! I'll never forget it, It was Amazing. To think of what was accomplished with slide rules and simple transistors! We as a nation can do so many things but we have turned into a nation of I's. Damn Shame IMHO.

Peace Love and Happiness

Eric Foster

Back