Madcow?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not get back to the Topic of the post. Start your own froggy post

OP has been resolved at least 4 times.

Continue the derailment.

train_derails.jpg.size.custom.crop.842x650.jpg

1200px-Tangent_to_a_curve.svg.png

Just look at this garbage they're showing kids in schools these days!!!!!

40004065964_b4fdf3f2be_b.jpg

I think it should be promptly sent to legal for their opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

This thread has made me buy two Madcow kits this week. Well this thread and the thread about the LDRS special rocket. Damn you, Madcow. Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in.

We spent about $3,500 on rocketry materials, first time for our university doing entry multistage HPR rocketry projects. Madcow only got about $200. They couldn't answer a simple question about a outer diameter of a product they sold for weeks. All he had to do was pick up the phone, get a caliper ,and put it around the outside of the tube or better yet five or six tubes different and average the value. We just couldn't deal with his anemic response time where weeks meant unacceptable deadline shifts. I chipped in an additional thousand out of a VW engineering internship data acquisition off of robots 12 hour shifts. We had money we needed a businessman or woman with respect to answer usually simple questions. What we didn't have was time. I left multiple emails and messages to Madcow. He actually apologized first. I designed supersonic airfoils on an HPR rocket. We had to manufacture those with outsourcing. We weren't farting around. We had money to burn and needed service. I had contractors give more respect for $50 orders than Madcow gave. And I don't mean to bash Madcow. I wanted to like Madcow but the service was subpar for human interaction.

Plus if he does that to other colleges, they play with ESRA and IREC yearly with double to triple what we spent. Maybe that's niche market to him. Usually IREC teams will have a SEDS program too. We weren't one of those major aerospace colleges, in fact we weren't known at all and last year we just started a rocketry group. Tim at Wildman picked up the phone. He's got our business. There's not even SEDS right now and they want that TRA record so newer team is going for it again. What Madcow needs to learn is how to promptly follow up on customers. That's ridiculous someone suggested buy a cheap another item and leave a note. Maybe what we spent is nothing compared to what he makes, fine. We aren't a major player.
Haven't read the whole story, but what would stop you from picking up calipers and taking the measurement yourself?

It's really not a big deal. One thing I've seen is kids today lack adaptation-to-challenge skills. Not everything is gunna be exactly what ya read. Make adjustments and run with it.

Yeah, Wildman is legit, but so is MadCow.... different flavors I guess.

Not worth hurting someone for something so minor.

Nate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Maybe he just didn't want to do bussiness with you. It take a lot more then $200 to overcome your amount of whining and annoyance. Maybe its just me, but you seam to have problems with a lot of people. Or maybe it you and your just rude and unpleasant.

I have had great transactions with Madcow. Michael called me back two days later, and emails are returned fast for a hobby bussiness.
Amen.

I designed supersonic airfoil fins, custom printed nosecones, jigs and cnc fabbed launch tower for a TRA record 20,000ft+. Outsourced manufacturing of parts. It was stable till Mach 1.5 until Custom interstage power series shell imploded. We had sanded tube all by half. Couldn't tilt head fast enough. I should just post pics in multistage thread. Nosecone has patentable features and has drag coefficient with volume we wanted. We only used a store bought tube then you guys get all wank. We imploded it at Utah. Those once or twice a year waivers suck.
We read Jim Jarvis 212 page tutorial on rolling tubes and thought out of our skill level.

We had enough fun figuring out Raven 3, minitimer4, and a TeleGPS. I was a mech student with ham license. Putting those with an I1299N-P was a bad call. We were new like Lpr new. The body tube sheared in half but oddly some fins and nosecone profile lived upon crash. I did the aero and it was stable. This first HPR rocket gave us the design experience to design a second one in under a week and relaunch for third nationally. We blew $2.5k on first rocket which is why we transitioned to modifying kits on second launch with our own custom nosecone. You five fold costs to double altitude predicted. Second rocket we flew two H's nerfing it for a lower FAA waiver.

We started a rocket team. We traveled to three states which was expensive for a new team. Custom components will easily blow a half grand on a small multistage on L-1 size. Nobody likes to manufacture small airfoils. You will piss people off. Most say IMPOSSIBLE. Then you look hard enough and someone will for $175+ a fin. But then material choices suck compared to 6061T6. Our second rocket was modify two of Tim's kits as a last ditch Soviet Era simplify everything approach and try to place decent on like a budget that didn't exist. And we flew second iteration of structurally improved custom nosecone. Strengthen the nosecone shoulder.

Some other crap teams flew entire stock formula 54 even with stock decals. Our team was so noob we designed and built our own launch control HPR box too. We showed up with this scraggy thing and they are like we use Wilson put that up before get zapped. Tower is adjustable and used 1010 rails wasn't bad for $70 in materials.
All this and you couldn't measure yourself?

This is a classic case of entitled temper-tantrum if I've ever seen one.

Wait until you see real life.

We measured it when we got the damn tubes after we had already designed components to fit. We spent a week of sanding because company didn't know the tube diameter they actually sold.

Then we measured each position in tube top, middle, and bottom to ensure even sanding.

This seams like the right place for this....

Launching "Easter EggSpress" tomorrow on an H250G to 550' where it will dump 36 eggs on streamers.

And I had Taco Bell for dinner....0309181100_HDR.jpg0309181703.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

We measured it when we got the damn tubes after we had already designed components to fit. We spent a week of sanding because company didn't know the tube diameter they actually sold.
Wait.... That's the second time you said you sanded for a week to make it fit. If I sanded for a day, there wouldn't be a tube left.

Stop sanding with 2000 grit and delicate hand.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

why not alter your design to fit?
The components were already in que to production. There was four days left. The parts took nine days to re make and you arrogant ****s judge a kid that has never made a rocket before. Try a team build at an engineering program it gets real fun. They tell you up front fail it and you'll waste another year of your life here and owe $10k.

The components were already in que to production. There was four days left. The parts took nine days to re make and you arrogant ****s judge a kid that has never made a rocket before. Try a team build at an engineering program it gets real fun. They tell you up front fail it and you'll waste another year of your life here and owe $10k.
with four days left you spent a week sanding?

Guys, this kid's about to need a therapist and some meds....

Think it's time to lay off. He's using *stars* for words.

Seems legit. It’s probably for the best. The thread was getting more interesting with the frog and toad puns now it’s just going to end up getting locked and or deleted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back