No response from Mach 1?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringergrey

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have about $100 in airframe tubes sitting in my cart at Mach 1 but I can't pull the trigger until I get an answer on a fit question (might require a custom part). Sent first email via support contact form about 2 weeks ago, sent second email direct to contact a few days ago. Even if I forge ahead and risk the fit question, I've seen the 2020 thread where, at the time, fulfillment could take months. Has anyone had recent contact and/or fulfillment?

Hi All,
I have about $100 in airframe tubes sitting in my cart at Mach 1 but I can't pull the trigger until I get an answer on a fit question (might require a custom part). Sent first email via support contact form about 2 weeks ago, sent second email direct to contact a few days ago. Even if I forge ahead and risk the fit question, I've seen the 2020 thread where, at the time, fulfillment could take months. Has anyone had recent contact and/or fulfillment?
I sent an email about a week ago and haven't heard back either, so I don't think it's just you.

Not sure what's going on, though.

Hi All,
I'd like to hear the same as I purchased a kit with PayPal 4 pay 2 weeks ago and if they are going to take months they don't need my money the whole time!! And yes I've sent many emails. With zeri response. they need a phone number.. maybe BBB conplaint.. might have to add this company to my list of never buy from again! What's wrong with companies and having zero customer support..every other model toxket company I've dealt with in the past month has all responded multiple times with several orders delivered in a week.. I can understand a few weeks but months!!! And why don't they put that on their website... any other fiberglass companies that actually respond that folks can recommend? I've looked over mad cow. Already thanks

Yeah, it's been 1.5 months and no response from Mach 1. Wildman is a good choice and I found a few others although all deal in larger airframes, I ended up going with a double walled cardboard tube with the inner wall provided by Balsa Machining Services.

Yeah, it's been 1.5 months and no response from Mach 1. Wildman is a good choice and I found a few others although all deal in larger airframes, I ended up going with a double walled cardboard tube with the inner wall provided by Balsa Machining Services.
I'm doing a double wall right now myself.. just wanted to do my first fiberglass.. I did finally hear back from Mach 1. They mentioned they would be out of the shop until next week...ish. im hoping that means kits in a few weeks. One for me and others waiting :)..

Thank you. I checked them out.. I had few questions on their 2.1 sport..JART. it didnt say online what the motor mount was..etc.
https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/wildman-sport
Wildman "Sport" series kits are a great way to step in to mid power rocketry. With lightweight filament-wound fiberglass 2.2" airframes, composite nose cones, and G10 fins, these kits can handle anything you stuff in their
29mm motor mounts
From your first steps with F and G motors to toying with your first certification flight on an H or an I, these rockets are perfect companions for your journey.

If you're into scratch building, there is a seller on AliExpress that has carbon fiber tubes in 18, 24, and 29mm ID with 0.5mm wall thickness for pretty affordable prices. "Best Carbon" is their store front name. I have some tubes in 24mm and 40mm IDs, and they are certainly nice enough for rocket airframes. Plan to buy 29mm ID in the future for my G80 projects.

If you're into scratch building, there is a seller on AliExpress that has carbon fiber tubes in 18, 24, and 29mm ID with 0.5mm wall thickness for pretty affordable prices. "Best Carbon" is their store front name. I have some tubes in 24mm and 40mm IDs, and they are certainly nice enough for rocket airframes. Plan to buy 29mm ID in the future for my G80 projects.
Never really spent any time on aliExpress but it looks like there's all sorts of carbon fiber tubes..

Mach1 died with the previous owners. The current ones don't care at all about the business. Notice how there are no advertisements or anything. Stick with Wildman for glass.

Do you have a direct link? The AliExpress website is kind of confusing.

Thank you.. I was seeing specs under other kits and assumed that one was just missing.. didn't see the "for all sport series" description
A note that Tim did a run of 2.1" diameter "Sport" series Jarts with a 38mm mount. I have 3 of them. :dancingelephant: He could probably be convinced to custom make more if there's a desire.

A note that Tim did a run of 2.1" diameter "Sport" series Jarts with a 38mm mount. I have 3 of them. :dancingelephant: He could probably be convinced to custom make more if there's a desire.

I’m sure the files are still in the computer. It would just be a matter of cutting out the parts if he has a sheet of glass that has the area left.

Mach1 died with the previous owners. The current ones don't care at all about the business. Notice how there are no advertisements or anything. Stick with Wildman for glass.
Unfortunately nobody else has the small fiberglass kits that are BT sized and fly on 18mm motors.

Business opportunity.... ?

Unfortunately nobody else has the small fiberglass kits that are BT sized and fly on 18mm motors.

Business opportunity.... ?
Perhaps, but probably not the biggest one.

Fiberglass at the "LPR" size-level of rockets is more of a novelty for the majority of model rocketeers. Don't get me wrong, I can see how some people would prefer working with that material compared to cardboard and plastic. But there's no performance benefit in terms of altitude and any performance benefit in terms of durability is comparably matched (I would assume) by simply using heavy-walled cardboard body tubes, basswood/plywood fins, etc.

any performance benefit in terms of durability is comparably matched (I would assume) by simply using heavy-walled cardboard body tubes, basswood/plywood fins, etc.

I agree with the first part of your post, but there's not really much comparison in terms of durability. Durability as in the stresses of flight? Yeah, unless it's an exceptional flight.

But hard hits, lawn darts, etc? No comparison. I laid my first 2" fiberglass airframe on the floor and stood on it to test it. Later, it augered into hard clay all the way to the fins from a 3k' ballistic flight and flew again with no repair.

Perhaps, but probably not the biggest one.

Fiberglass at the "LPR" size-level of rockets is more of a novelty for the majority of model rocketeers. Don't get me wrong, I can see how some people would prefer working with that material compared to cardboard and plastic. But there's no performance benefit in terms of altitude and any performance benefit in terms of durability is comparably matched (I would assume) by simply using heavy-walled cardboard body tubes, basswood/plywood fins, etc.
As a small field, east coast flyer...I can tell you 2 huge benefits.

1) The relatively heavy per size relationship intentionally allows us to use bigger motors on the small fields and keep altitude down. I have been flying a lot of the Quest Q-Jets, when I can actually get to a launch.

2) Related to the above... when a "rocket eating tree" does grab a rocket; I can guarantee the small fiberglass one holds up to hanging in the weather untill the shock cord breaks MUCH BETTER than ANY cardboard rocket ever will.

@Tractionengines and @tsmith1315 you both make good points and I don't disagree with them (although they don't always apply to me). But I still stand by my main point that for LPR-sized rockets, the benefits that come from fiberglass aren't enough to make fiberglass rockets a huge seller.

For me, the biggest drawback with fiberglass has to do with the increased safety considerations when working with the material (cutting, sanding, epoxy, etc.).

@Tractionengines and @tsmith1315 you both make good points and I don't disagree with them (although they don't always apply to me). But I still stand by my main point that for LPR-sized rockets, the benefits that come from fiberglass aren't enough to make fiberglass rockets a huge seller.

For me, the biggest drawback with fiberglass has to do with the increased safety considerations when working with the material (cutting, sanding, epoxy, etc.).
Ok. I'll make one more benefit.... NO SPIRALS

Have to say my experience of Mach1Rocketry has been entirely positive-prompt replies to emails, quick dispatching of product and great freight pricing

Nobody found an AliExpress dealer for Fibreglass airframes?
Shipping from the States is a killer price wise

They have disappointed me with their lack of prompt reply to emails. I won't be using them again.

They have disappointed me with their lack of prompt reply to emails. I won't be using them again.
Their products are good.. I did finally get my order.. but it does seem like they have a lack of interest in their own business. I'm assuming it's a secondary job and something else gets most of their attention.. again just an assumption based on recent experience with them.

any performance benefit in terms of durability is comparably matched (I would assume) by simply using heavy-walled cardboard body tubes, basswood/plywood fins, etc.
The two parks where I can fly locally both have water hazards, which is an incentive to build some composite park fliers. I haven't gotten around to those projects yet though.
Very good point.
Ok. I'll make one more benefit.... NO SPIRALS
Amen.
That doesn't really apply to me either, as I find getting rid of spirals mildly satisfying.
I wish I could be like you. :D
Nobody found an AliExpress dealer for Fibreglass airframes?
Shipping from the States is a killer price wise
The vendor @SolarYellow links above has carbon tubes at good prices, but the IDs are even metric sizes so aren't always a good match for off-the-shelf nose cones or for motors. Plus there are a lot of gaps in their selection of mandrels. They will do custom ODs if you need. They also have carbon plates to use as fin stock.

Back