Loki Research 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much. I just liberally smear the front end of the delay with grease, and if needed, plug the ejection well with dog barf... But that being said, I primarily use plugged forward closures...

So am I the only one that just measures the drill bit and puts a piece of tape on the bit where I want to drill to?

It's a great way to do it because then it doesn't matter whether or not I grab the AT drill or the CTI drill.

As near as I can figure, that would be:

~.025 = 1 Loki Second
~.031 = 1 AT Second (1/32")
~.038 = 1 CTI Second

On a slightly different topic...On the 76mm forward closure there's a snap ring to hold the smoke grain in place. Anyone know what size that snap ring might be?

Jeroen_at_CTI said:
Tom,

Our spec for the exposed length is 1.675-1.690". The associated drill length that is exposed would be 0.925" to 0.940".

Jeroen

This just in

On a slightly different topic...On the 76mm forward closure there's a snap ring to hold the smoke grain in place. Anyone know what size that snap ring might be?

This snap ring is for a 1.25" bore.

Tom, I got the same message from Jeron when I logged in.

~.025 = 1 Loki Second

I'd have to find a notebook to double check that, but it's real close for the slow delays.

Is that the new unit of measurement in rockets? Saying that a 98 mm motor is 154.33 Loki-Seconds in diameter? :p

Go home Matt you drun...... Wait never mind lol. When you gonna give that 480 I gave you a nice ride? The I 405 is calling your name .

Eric
Not drunk but slap happy (super sick right now so I'm exhausted). I flew the 480 a while ago but haven't had a chance to get out to another launch! I flew an I210 in it. I definitely wanna throw an I405 in there though. :D

I just want to go on record as saying that Scott is a top notch, first rate dude. I placed an order 3 days ago, and was happy to have my mailman say to me today "Please come out to my truck and get your explosives"!

Now that we've got that whole issue with how thick a Loki second is (that applies to the 38mm reloads, right?), and how long our adjustment stick should be, I can't wait to send up my MadCow Cowabunga when the temps come up some!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?131499-Bullet-Bill-the-Cowabunga

I just want to go on record as saying that Scott is a top notch, first rate dude. I placed an order 3 days ago, and was happy to have my mailman say to me today "Please come out to my truck and get your explosives"!

LOL. "flammable Solids" :p

Tom,

I didn't put 2 & 2 together before now. It never even registered to me the guy placing the order was the guy asking questions on TRF. :facepalm:

Yes, make sure you correct your postman on his terminology next time. The label on the box reads "toy propellant device" and the USPS doesn't ship explosives. You don't want the wrong people showing up at your house looking for the wrong things. ;-) Not in this day and age.

I never can figure out the USPS's ground service transit times either.

Another satisfied customer. :)

Lol, he hates me anyway, along with the UPS driver. I get bulk ammunition, bulk scrap lead, and gunpowder (the smokeless kind, in 32lb boxes) shippments all the time, and have a black chopper that circles my house constantly :)

Good thing my security clearance is up to date! LOL

Last edited:
Dave and everyone,

The 54mm hardware is all machined now and is being packaged for shipment to a plater this week. I hope to have the entire lot in hand, inspected and available to ship by the first or second week of March, if not sooner. I do have a pair of 54/1200 cases in hand right now. They were samples done in two different thicknesses of hardcoat. I am pleased to say that all of these 54mm cases will be done in Type 3 Class 2, blue hardcoat.

I've been reluctant to say anything until they were completely done and in hand as I thought I was close a few times before, but for reasons out of my control, it didn't happen. You asked here now Dave and I think I am confident enough to say that the end is finally near, so I felt comfortable enough to give you all this answer.

Thanks for hanging in there with me everyone.

Hey, I appreciate you being upfront and honest about this situation! Stuff happens sometimes.

Dave and everyone,

The 54mm hardware is all machined now and is being packaged for shipment to a plater this week. I hope to have the entire lot in hand, inspected and available to ship by the first or second week of March, if not sooner. I do have a pair of 54/1200 cases in hand right now. They were samples done in two different thicknesses of hardcoat. I am pleased to say that all of these 54mm cases will be done in Type 3 Class 2, blue hardcoat.

I've been reluctant to say anything until they were completely done and in hand as I thought I was close a few times before, but for reasons out of my control, it didn't happen. You asked here now Dave and I think I am confident enough to say that the end is finally near, so I felt comfortable enough to give you all this answer.

Thanks for hanging in there with me everyone.

Does this include 54/4000? If so, will you have some to sell or have they all been pre-ordered?

Yes this includes the 54/4000 cases, as well as 2 grain 9.85" long EX cases. There should be plenty of 54/4000's to last for a while. Until the next load get certified for it that is. Then all bets are off.

Glancing over at mostly built Tomach, dreaming of M power.
yapfMS0.png

Hehe. Gonna hang a couple feet out the back?

Those two grain sound interesting.

Do you guys have any suggested "motor starters" for Loki 38 mm engines? I'm planning to use a H144 for my L1 cert flight next month and these are the last item on the checklist to purchase.

Funny,,,
On the side of the table,,,
I see a name,,,
but no really cool stickers....
No really bad stickers either....

Strange...

Teddy

Funny,,,
On the side of the table,,,
I see a name,,,
but no really cool stickers....
No really bad stickers either....

Strange...

Teddy

Teddy I love ya... but you totally lost me here man :) All my stickaz are on my work bench ;)

Back