Elon Musk - Stephen Colbert Interview - The Late Show - 9/9/2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
[video=youtube;0vjt29f_6mk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vjt29f_6mk[/video]

This is the second time I've seen someone talk to him about his goal to land a rocket on a barge, and neither time did he explain that the ultimate goal would be to land the rocket back on land near the launch site. I wonder why? I'd think people would enjoy knowing that and it would seem less like SpaceX is wasting their time and money attempting to land on the barge.

I think Elon Musk is good at projecting optimism. This is what good CEO's do in general, however, it is even more necessary in the space business in order to keep public enthusiasm engaged.

I am not a Colbert fan, and this is exactly why. Musk did his best to keep his composure while Colbert insulted Musk personally, his companies, and his vision. Being a visionary certainly is not easy, and Musk was still able to get a few positive words in despite Colbert's constant jabs and talking over him during the entire interview.

I am not a Colbert fan, and this is exactly why. Musk did his best to keep his composure while Colbert insulted Musk personally, his companies, and his vision. Being a visionary certainly is not easy, and Musk was still able to get a few positive words in despite Colbert's constant jabs and talking over him during the entire interview.

Yep, Colbert is an "A"-hole. His job should have gone to Craig Ferguson who is far better in wit, candor, consequence than Colbert ever will be.

craig-ferguson-late-late-show.jpg

Yep, Colbert is an "A"-hole. His job should have gone to Craig Ferguson who is far better in wit, candor, consequence than Colbert ever will be.

View attachment 271760

Also thought his predecessor was the same... Not a Dave Letterman fan at all.

Craig Ferguson was the funniest man on late night TV hands down. Saw him in concert a while back. Awesomely hilarious... Plain old BS that Craig didn't get Dave's job. Must have been because he's too funny and entertaining to replace Dave (who is neither one).

Adrian

Last edited:
Plus he had the coolest sidekick. I wonder where Geoff is these days.

I think Colbert's comedy bits are very good, but he definitely needs to hone his interviewing style. Has not yet succeeded in making the guest feel comfortable or giving them room to breathe. His style worked better in his previous format, he needs to adjust. He is a very smart guy, I assume he will do so in due time.

I agree on his needing to hone his interviewing skills. I think in time he will be very good at the show. Letterman was one of the best ever at interviews. He made people comfortable and uncomfortable at the same time. He was not afraid to ask the hard questions and was not afraid to make idiots look like the idiots they are. Won't mention any names here or actions of those stars, like pissing in buckets.

Hah, actually the toughest question asked on Letterman was when he had Julia Roberts on after a highly public break-up, but David did not dare ask it.

So, it was asked by Paul Shaffer. Since the question was a bit..... risque, I won't post a link. But if one googles for a youtube video with the words "Paul Shaffer asks Julia Roberts a forbidden question!", you'll probably find it.... ;)

BTW - Colbert is a HUGE fan of the space program. On the ISS, there is a treadmill that NASA named this:

Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill (COLBERT)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadmill_with_Vibration_Isolation_Stabilization

- George Gassaway

Back