• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Why do people post "pm sent"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal8472

Reaction score
The person receiving knows it's sent. Do people feel it's rude to make an offer after someone else has made a lower one?

Andrew

It was the custom when I joined. I guess it saves the seller from getting a full message box.

I do it as a courtesy to there who may be interested in an item that I have pm'd about. As a secondary benefit it subscribes me to the thread, since I have an obvious interst in it!

Cheers,
Michael

I use it to let other "competitors" for the item know that it's been claimed already (and might slow them down in trying to beat me to the punch).

it's like saying dibs... if someone has sent a pm I don't send a low ball offer. if I'm willing to pay what they are asking i'll send a pm offering the full amount even if someone has already sent a pm.

If the user has Private Message Notification turned off, it serves as a way of letting them know to look. My pop-up blocker kills PM notifications and I seldom look at my 'home page' to see if I have any PMs.

Interesting. Seems like the dibs thing but it's really not very clear on what's being said. And there is nothing to stop a lowball offer then a pm note to discourage others. Who knows, of someone really wants it, but is not as fast to observe then at least you know to make a better offer.

I do it in part because I want the seller to know I'm interested in case my PM doesn't come through for some reason.

The person receiving knows it's sent. Do people feel it's rude to make an offer after someone else has made a lower one?

Andrew
Actually, they might not know it's been sent.

Their inbox may be full and they may not have enabled email notification of PMs.

When I answer a Yard Sale post, I post PM sent so the seller and all those looking at the for sale post know that I've agreed to buy the item(s). If I'm buying only one item out of several, I'll even specify the particular item in question so that others can know the remainder are still for sale. Just a common courtesy here on TRF.

That being said, if someone beats me to an item I might PM the seller saying "If the deal doesn't go through with the first guy, keep me in mind."

PM'ing the seller to say "Ignore that first guy, I'll give you a higher price" is just wrong. Don't do that.

PM'ing the seller to say "Ignore that first guy, I'll give you a higher price" is just wrong. Don't do that.

I don't see it as that simple. People are putting things up for sale and usually it's the price, that's on their mind.

After all the offers were private not public

this is a normal thing in forums. it serves multi purpouses.
here I'll send you a PM about it... :p

If you think about it, many people send offers... I'm thinking that the idea is to post "PM sent" so that the seller knows "hey, he sent his message first before others..."

If you think about it, many people send offers... I'm thinking that the idea is to post "PM sent" so that the seller knows "hey, he sent his message first before others..."

But....................... If seller gets a bunch of offers quickly, they can pick which one they want to honor and respectfully decline anyone else who replied even if they "replied first". The other respondents won't have a clue.

In reality, a PM sent means the offer was "accepted" by the buyer and ordinarily if the seller gets the asking price, they'd give it to the first one who responds. Would lead to less email in the sellers box but........... I'd might fire a note
saying if the sale doesn't go through, I'd like to get in line.:wink: Kurt

Back