Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
    Today, it's my first rocket. The Estes Spin Fin (1355):

My science teacher, Mr. Deller, had an assortment of rockets, and we drew straws for our place to pick. I was one of the last to get to pick, I can't remember what else was available for me to choose, but this was the best of what was left. I don't have any photos of it (it was downright FUGLY). I didn't fill the balsa (nor paper it), and out of frustration, I finally just glued the alignment guide to the body tube, and the fins to that. As I said, it wasn't pretty. The rocket flew once or twice before it was destroyed in an accident that crushed the body tube and broke the fins.

To add the logos to the fin, I had to add an "Air Fin" and a PBT. So, the flight characteristics are suspect (if run w/o deleting the PBT with the "Air fin"). The image above shows what it sims at w/o them (I suspect it'll go much much higher still). I'll point out that I don't have the exact specs on the nosecone, but it is based on specs found in the 1974 Estes Custom Parts Catalog because I don't have an original anymore.

I've also simmed this with the straight flight alignment of the fins.

This also has the PBT and "Air Fin" and the image shows altitude projections w/o them included.

Thanks to caveduck and everybody who helped me identify the specs on the streamer (1.125" x 30").

Instructions and decals were found on JimZ's site:
    http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1355.pdf

Last edited by K'Tesh; 27th January 2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post

...I finally just glued the alignment guide to the body tube, and the fins to that. As I said, it wasn't pretty.
    You sound like some of my Rocket Camp kids. Man, did they make some... interesting rockets!

Daniel J. Petrie - The Rocket N00b - NAR # 100015
    rocketn00b.blogspot.com
    facebook.com/rocketn00b
    YouTube: youtube.com/TheRocketN00b Twitter: @rocketn00b
    The Rocketry Show Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by lcorinth View Post
    You sound like some of my Rocket Camp kids. Man, did they make some... interesting rockets!
    I got better.

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Today, I've got the Estes Army Hawk (2031):

The measurements, decals, and documentation was found over on YORF
    . Nothing really special was needed to do this sim, so it should be fairly accurate for flight simulation purposes.

Simming this kit can be blamed on Kruegon. Thanks to everyone who provided info for the sim. Especially Bill Eichelberger for his scans of the decals and instructions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok... I'm tired of not posting things due to the near future update of OpenRocket. I'm going to post this anyway. This is a speculation on a version of the Estes Scorpion (1333):

It uses a PNC-50Y nosecone, which I haven't been able to prove was used in this kit or not. However, I do know the EXACT shape of the earliest PRP-1H nosecone (PN 32492), and there is a strong chance that with the update to OR, I will be able to recreate its shape perfectly. The dimensional drawings I have of the nosecone (and the fincan) unfortunately cannot be shared due to an agreement with the person who supplied it to me. When OR can recreate the shape accurately, I'll post an updated .ork file using its info. Another guess is that the PRP-1G Plastic Fin Unit (PN 32493) shipped with the PNC-50Y, and not the later Plastic Fin Unit (PN 73405) found on today's Mongoose.

I am always looking for variations on kits designs. So, if you happen to find the instructions showing this to be accurate, please PM me, and I'll arrange to get the info shared.

Thanks to JumpJet for his assistance on this kit.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 19th February 2017 at 05:22 AM.

how near in the future? haven't heard of much coming up about OR.

fm
    "What'd I learn after 20 years in the Navy? Hmmm... I shoulda' joined the Army!!"
    L1 - Madcow 2.6 Arcas / First Flight / AT100W-14 / May 7th, 2016
    L2 - Madcow 4.0 AGM-58 / Assembly to begin May 2017
    L3 - Scratch Upscale ASM (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Metal View Post
    how near in the future? haven't heard of much coming up about OR.

fm
    Unclear. There are many bugs still to be squashed, and some features to iron out as well. I think it's fair to say that it's close to the end of the dev cycle for this release, but whether that means weeks or months or whatever is very hard to guess.