3D Printing Estes Little Joe ii 0892

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissonance

Reaction score
Hello!

I obtained a vintage Estes Little Joe ii 0892 from eBay. I 3D printed the fins, which are far superior to the balsa wood ones the kit has you make. The STL file is attached. I found that old decals tend to crumble, so I drew up new ones and printed them on decal paper. Mine are more accurate, have sharper edges, and the US flag curves around the capsule surface better. I also drew up the wraps. I found a blog where someone tried to reproduce the relief ribs on the lower wrap. There is some potential there, but I ended up using the original wrap. All the files I made up are attached if anyone needs them.

My model turned out B+. I am a little disappointed because I got CA glue marks on the lower wrap in small spots. I'm still learning. I think if every model came with twice the pieces, one could learn from a first attempt and nail it on the second.

Best,
D

20240321_203941.jpg

Attachments

• 20240224_203441.jpg
    20240224_203441.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Estes Little Joe ii 0892 PN 37392.pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Estes Little Joe ii 0892 PN 37392.svg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Estes Little Joe ii 0892 PN 83777.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Estes Little Joe ii 0892 PN 83777.svg
    14 KB · Views: 0
  • Estes Little Joe ii 0892 PN 83779.pdf
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Estes Little Joe ii 0892 PN 83779.svg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Estes Little Joe ii 0892.zip
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Estes Little Joe ii 892 fin.stl
    884 bytes · Views: 0
Modelling perfection is hard. For those of us with modelling OCD, it is 4x the struggle (see link in my signature to Viper build...I painted it, then stripped it and repainted!!! :eek:)

Your models look GREAT! (I zoomed your pics). Just enjoy the process.

Great job on the parts! Are you going to fly it?

Modelling perfection is hard. For those of us with modelling OCD, it is 4x the struggle (see link in my signature to Viper build...I painted it, then stripped it and repainted!!! :eek:)

Your models look GREAT! (I zoomed your pics). Just enjoy the process.

Great job on the parts! Are you going to fly it?
Thank you!

I'm not going to fly it. My vintage models I use for display only. I have others for flying. If my son is home long enough this summer, we might try to get our L2 certification.

I like the way you got the fins on your Viper straight.

Man talk about good timing. I was just searching for a 3d print of this capsule as I also got a kit off ebay and just about done. Same issue with decals etc. Thanks for saving me a bunch of time. Well done sir.

Back