Rulers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Gypsy

Reaction score
I never would have imagined that I could be captivated for 8 minutes by a video about rulers. Has anyone here tried one of these?

[video=youtube;X4P-I8b2rxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4P-I8b2rxs[/video]

Dennis

I'de like to watch the Video, but it will probably leave me wanting something I can't afford right now, so I won't punish myself.
I'm a sucker for stuff like Metal Rules and Compasses, Squares and Protractors.

About a minute in I was saying to myself, stop now, next thing you know they are going to tell me it is flexible and can be wrapped around things.
At 1:50 I had to punch my Chair and loudly proclaim "DOHHH!!"

I knew I should'nt have watched that.:(

Oh, and after each demonstration where they say all the Sizes they are available in and that they are also available in Metric, I'de say to myself "I WANT THEM ALL!!!"

Last edited:
A word of advice to all, DO NOT watch this video.
I just ordered two of them!
Seriously cool product. Why didn't I come up with this?

Tool companies are pretty conservative, but there are a few (Incra and Festool come to mind) that are innovative rather than just reproducing the same old tool designs. Unless you own one, you won't believe how much Festool has improved the cordless drill.

Doooooood.... Why did you wait till now to post?! New item for my Christmas list...

The soft strumming guitar and the mild and pleasing accent of the narrator are so soothing. And the innovative rulers are so easy-to-use. The video just makes you feel that everything is going to be alright.

The soft strumming guitar and the mild and pleasing accent of the narrator are so soothing. And the innovative rulers are so easy-to-use. The video just makes you feel that everything is going to be alright.

Until you realize that the additional accuracy will require better tools to hit the marks. It is a tool death spiral.

Aw Crap! *Spoiler Alert*! I didn't even finish the video. These are seriously cool and I NEED them. not want but absolutely HAVE to have these little gems. I do custom order miniatures from doll house furniture to building mockups, rockets, boats, trains and aeroplanes (RIP John Candy!). These beat any architech tri- cornered scale rulers hands down. Metric option is just icing on the cake. A HUGE thanks to Dennis for posting. OMG!
John gets a big nod for something I have to save for and really justify, but none the less is also 'very cool'!
I did successfully ignore Rockler's Black Friday sale, but it's on the radar for next year. I'm counting on Wildman's great Tax Relief program next year (hint, hint)

Last edited:
This was just too good to keep to myself. Besides, I've been lurking on this forum for about a year without contributing anything at all. A lot has changed since I last flew rockets in the mid '90s and you guys have been a great source of new information. I am just taking it all in like a sponge.

Thanks,
Dennis

I have the Incra protractor rule. Very cool. After watching the video, I need to go get a couple more. In Canada, Lee Valley Tools carries them.

This was just too good to keep to myself. Besides, I've been lurking on this forum for about a year without contributing anything at all. A lot has changed since I last flew rockets in the mid '90s and you guys have been a great source of new information. I am just taking it all in like a sponge.

Thanks,
Dennis

Incra owes you! Thanks for the link. It was well worth the watch. I even saw additional uses for the protractor rule.

Even cheaper on amazon ($18 vs $32 for the 12in centering rule)

As much as I love Rockler and Woodcraft stores and catalogs, you can usually get most stuff they sell much cheaper elsewhere. As for the tool vs. precision death spiral, yep its fun. Bought a new Tablesaw, now its time to build better jigs, etc... Buy a new ruler and the tablesaw's now not accurate enough to hit the mark without lots of work. Woodworking is like Rocketry= cash out the door but its fun and that's why we do it. SHWMBO just doesn't understand.

Under no circumstances should you go to the Incra website. I would conservatively estimate that they make six hundred and fifty-seven jillion dollars worth of ingenious little gizmos you absolutely need.

Very nice!! Would have been impossible to manufacture economically not long ago. A few of these just went on my tool acquisition queue. The only potential gotcha I see is that the fine holes will foul easily - gotta keep 'em away from CA, epoxy, paint etc. I hope the markings will withstand some solvent cleaning.

Update - ordered a 12" set from Amazon...droolz...

Last edited:
I'll definitely be getting a couple of these next month. That's my New Years Resolution.

Just got an email that my order shipped from Amazon.

*SARCASM ON* Thanks a lot My Gypsy!!! *SARCASM OFF*

:wink:

Well now I've gone and done it! They had the 12" Rule on Amazon for $14.05 plus S&H which came up to like $19 and change, so I pushed the Button!
Merry Christmas to me!!!:happydeer:

My Gypsy, I think you just caused a run on these rulers! They should send you a set for free as a finders fee. :)

Back