Need pivot head design for launcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

..Pat Butler

Reaction score
I'm trying to build a cheapo multi-pad launch system. The only thing I'm not sure of is how to build a simple adjustable head to tilt the launch rods. Any ideas? thanks.

Try a Marine Supply shop or any place they sell boating supplies and get an adjustable flag holder. They come in plastic or metal and they plastic runs around $5 dollars and cant tilt in 2 axis.

Mark

One of the classic designs is the "billiard ball in a clamp" design. Do a search on here; I know I've seen it around.

If you want to build it yourself, you can take two pieces fo 1 x 2, overlap them about 2" and drill a hole. Use a carriage bolt and washer wingnut to tighten everything. The secret is to glue a piece of 100 - 120 grit sand paper to one of the inside faces.

I did something similar but used a round piece and drilled different holes to holed different size rods. With mine, I just spin the pad around, but if you used two pieces of closet coat hanger rod, you could notch them and use that for the tilt and a second carriage bolt and wingnut on a clamp for the rod. That would allow you to rotate it also.

launchpad05.jpg

Lot of work, but little cost. Not sure how it would hold up as club equipment.

ROCK (Section 622) uses a system like this-
https://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/v/rock/2008-02/2008-02-01+107.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Small wood blocks with angle brackets. There's a center bolt/wing-nut
to spin the head around the Saw Horse and another thru the angle
brackets to adjust the launch angle. A thumb screw holds the rod.

If you poke around Roger's site you may find some better close-ups.

Good Luck!

BTW- we also use 4x4 electrical box covers for blast plates. Pick some
up while you're making the trip to Rocket Depot... ;)

I went on the cheap, and used a ground lug, I got 2 per package at Home Depot. I replaced the set screw with an allen head screw, and plastic screw cap from ace hardware. This gives you a way to replace launch rods, and the lug will accept a 1/4 rod. I drilled 1in holes in my 2x4 launch rail, and cut off 8in pieces of 1in dowel that are a snug fit in these holes, so they can be rotated. I then cut a flat notch on the top of these dowels, and drilled a 1/4in hole through from the flat side to the back. I used a 1/4 in bolt with wing nut to attach the lug to this point. I will try to take a picture of it later to show the setup. I mounted it this way in the photo so as to limit the tilt available on the rod. Sorry for the grainy look, these are from a camera phone. I included the launch setup we did for a 4h group about 18 years ago.

ground lug.jpg

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

I use a system similar to the one Sucka, mentioned and it works perfectly.

Back