Phoeni-XXX my 3 stage Phoenix missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sed6

Reaction score
Phonixxx.png
I already have a 1.6" AIM-54 Phoenix Missile by The Launch Pad, a mid-power 2.6" scratch built with DD and a 4" by Madcow I did my L1/L2 certs on. I was looking to try something different and fill the gaps in size.

20231012_152111.jpg

I settled on the 2.2" BT-70 for my next iteration and decided to make it multi-stage just for fun. The idea actually struck when I considered making the bottom fins, or their fin can, removable in case they needed repair. I designed a removable lower fin can in Open Rocket first. Then I thought I'd make an extra, just in case. Then I started stacking them and decided to make it a multi-stager!

phoenixxx rocket with logo.png

Here's a concept pic and a teaser pic. I am about to apply paint and thought I'd start a thread to show my work if there is any interest.

20231012_151923.jpg

View attachment 609168
I already have a 1.6" AIM-54 Phoenix Missile by The Launch Pad, a mid-power 2.6" scratch built with DD and a 4" by Madcow I did my L1/L2 certs on. I was looking to try something different and fill the gaps in size.

View attachment 609173

I settled on the 2.2" BT-70 for my next iteration and decided to make it multi-stage just for fun. The idea actually struck when I considered making the bottom fins, or their fin can, removable in case they needed repair. I designed a removable lower fin can in Open Rocket first. Then I thought I'd make an extra, just in case. Then I started stacking them and decided to make it a multi-stager!

View attachment 609170

Here's a concept pic and a teaser pic. I am about to apply paint and thought I'd start a thread to show my work if there is any interest.

View attachment 609172
With the additional weight of all the motors in the stages, how much weight will you have to add to the nose? Will the total weight get lifted with the initial booster motor? What's that motor?

With the additional weight of all the motors in the stages, how much weight will you have to add to the nose? Will the total weight get lifted with the initial booster motor? What's that motor?
She's under 6oz. No weight needed for a one or two-stage rocket. A D12 gets it up to 500 ft. If I add an ounce to the nose, three D12's get it up to 1,300 ft. This picture tells all...

3 stage Phoeni-XXX design and sims and plot.jpg

lots of fins. :bravo: :goodjob:
You love Fillets
I love Fillets
We ALL love Fillets
I forgot all about fillets until the time came. Took me a minute to remember my paintbrush dipped in a small cup technique. A popsicle stick or a wet finger does a great job at keeping them even and consistent.

20231012_182257.jpg

No, not ordinary at all.

(I was being facetious, but it doesn't seem to translate well.)
I got it, and started laughing. It was very funny.

Yeah, nobody wants to see another rocket. Especially not a multi-stage Phoenix, somebody just whipped up cause they thought it was cool. I mean get out of here with that. Ahahahhahahahahah

Very cool work! I like it.

Hmm. There is nothing ordinary about a Phoenix. Great missile from times gone.
Agreed…nice looking rocket. Unfortunately the Estes 2.6” version was prone to “cruise missile” sideways flying due to shifting cg by internal weight of an added optional heavier (nylon) parachute, too much wadding, not building bottom fins properly ( wrong grain/root direction), and not enough nose weight (Estes clay) added. Fun to watch for sure…

Thanks for the positive comments! Here's my AV bay. I 3D printed a threaded coupler and have room to mount my egg finder with its battery plus an altimeter. There's also 1 oz of removable weight at the tip. I don't need both, either 1 oz of weight or the tracker but not both.

20231013_012913.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments! Here's my AV bay. I 3D printed a threaded coupler and have room to mount my egg finder with its battery plus an altimeter. There's also 1 oz of removable weight at the tip. I don't need both, either 1 oz of weight or the tracker but not both.

View attachment 609245
Nice tracker bay design. Is the weight magnetic?

Cool screw-on system. Is that the Rocketarium BT-70 cone?

Latest posts

Back