6" Airframe Fpr L1, L2 design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I am currently looking at scratch building an Upscale goblin for my L1 and L2 attempts.
I need a 6" dia airframe that i will incorp TTW fin mounting. Doe any one have any tips for Tube sources, in 6"? I also may have the vendor do my slotting if available.

Jon,

Here ya go!

https://secure.consumersinterest.com/pml/

6" Phenolic tube 48" long is $32.95.

They have centering rings...they do custom slotting...everything

Fiberglass would be more...a lot more! LOL

Also...don't forget the motor tube!

sandman

P.S. They are just down the road from me...I'll be going by there Thursday...want me to pick somethin' up? he he!

Carl uses Public Missles all the time!

When it comes to HPR...he would know!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Carl uses Public Missles all the time!

When it comes to HPR...he would know!

sandman

I was about to say the same thing. I know he got all the stuff for his full AMRAAM from PML, and most of his scratch stuff comes from PML. I think the only tubes he didn't get from them are the fiberglass ones...

Loopy

Looks like I am being prodded to chime in here, so I will. Yes, they are correct, I like PML, whether it be Quantum tubes or Phenolic. I used them all and even my L3 tubes are all Pre-Glassed Phenolic from PML...expensive but good stuff. I also have used Fiberglass tube from both Hawk Mountain and Giant Leap.

About the only 6" Phenolic Tube you are going to find is either going to be PML or Giant Leap. Giant Leap makes (or possibly made as I remember reading something about the discontinuing their line) a "flexible" Phenolic tube that is also pretty good. Now you have the rest of the story. ;)

Carl

You may want to look into filiment wound fiberglass tubing from giant leap. It is a good bit more expensive, but it is indestructable, and you will never get it to zipper, which us a plus for a certifiation rocket. I have built with LOC tubing, PML, and other Phenolic tubing. If you are going to use PML phenolic I would give it 2 wraps of 6 oz glass. I will probably not use anything other than fiberglass tubing for any big projects in the future; it is more expensive, but in the long run it gives you a nicer project and a much more rugged rocket.

Dwight

So if it seems no matter which way I go, it seems like having the tube glassed is the preferred method?

Glassing the tubes (or getting glass tubes) is the way to go if you want a tough rocket. As an example I had my PML Eclipse (which was special ordered with their pre-glassed phenolic instead of quantum) come in drogue (8") only when the main failed to deploy. It came in fast enough to dig a nice 6 - 7 inch core sample. The dirt was packed in like concrete and took over an hour to chip out, but when all was said and done, the airframe survived intact.
However since you want to build a single rocket for both L1 and L2, you'll have to be careful with weight. Too light and your L2 attempt will send it out of sight, too heavy and you'll have problems with the L1 flight.
If you decide to do the glassing yourself check out GiantLeaps easyglass sock. OK, its not "real" glass, but its real easy to use and gives good results.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
So if it seems no matter which way I go, it seems like having the tube glassed is the preferred method?

For L1 glassing really isn't necessary. For L2 I've seen plenty of non-glassed rockets flying K550's. It pretty much depends on the design. If you building a large diameter rocket to do the "low & slow" for certification ( a good idea ) then glassing really isn't necessary.

Note: the above said by a guy that has about 80 yard of glass and 2 gallons of epoxy laying about. It a good option ; but not really necessary at this point.

Al

Several of you make great points and gave him many options for the project. IMHO, 6" Fiberglass tube is the choice for killer projects, but way expensive.

The only other choice in 6" size is Phenolic, whether it be from PML or Giant Leap. Paper tubes are not available in 6" as far as I am aware. So, since Phenolic is your only cost effective choice for 6" diameter bodytubes, you can go with the Giant Leap Flexible Phenolic without glass or PML and glass it to prevent cracks.

Pic, we want lots of pics on the project.

Carl

I have snapped off the gian leap phlexable Phenolic on my Acme Fincan 54mm rocket. The flex stuff just has layers without the resin. Mine broke right above the motor. It now has glass tubing. I really want to give it a giant 54mm motor some day.....

Leica

IIF, SL

Back