Zooch Rockets Titan IIIC SLV5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
This is my second Dr Zooch kit and have been enjoying the build. The Titan is a neat design, and he includes enough details to make it interesting. I have a few more details to add, but it's nearing completion.

The flame fins are a really cool way to solve the problem of no fin rocket designs. They are made from 3/32" balsa and were really easy to make. I stacked the blanks and cut all six of them at once on the jig saw. Next is to seal, fill, and paint.

FlameFins.jpg

Zooch.jpg

Nice work John!
That's one of my favorite Zooch kits.
I'm curious, what silver (or aluminum) did you use on the nose cones?

The only flight mine has on it so far was in a 10 mph wind. Straight up with a B6-4. I went with the B because of the wind that day.
While the flight was great, I think this model is best suited for a C6-5.

The aluminum is Duplicolor. I sprayed it in humid weather because it gives sort of a weathered look to it which is kinda cool.

VERY nice!!! I've got one of these ordered...

I like the Titan IIIC MOL too... NEAT kit! Built one last summer!

Those little SRM "sep" motors are kinda tough, but they look cool!

KUTGW!!!

Later! OL JR :)

VERY nice!!! I've got one of these ordered...

I like the Titan IIIC MOL too... NEAT kit! Built one last summer!

Those little SRM "sep" motors are kinda tough, but they look cool!

KUTGW!!!

Later! OL JR :)

I'm making those now, they look cool.

I'm making those now, they look cool.

Here's a tip that helped me, but it's just advice-- you can use it or not... :)

I papered the jettison motors-- I found it makes handling those tiny bits of balsa SO much easier-- I cut them to shape, gently rounded the leading edge, and then glued them into a bit of printer paper with a big drop of white glue spread very thin with my finger, and folded the paper over the 'leading edge' of the jettison motors. Let dry and then cut them out, and you don't have to worry about the finish of the balsa or about the balsa splitting or doing other unpleasant things while you're gluing them on the model, and of course it makes them a bit tougher... They also will paint nicer...

Good luck! OL JR :)

Back