You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever drove or rode in one of these:View attachment 640131
I remember all of those.
Owned a 72 Pinto sedan. My first car.
Thought the Gremlin was neat. AMC used GM transmissions, I think.
Vega had an aluminum engine IIRC.
Pacer had assymetrical left and right doors, IIRC.
Wide and lots of glass. Handled like a whale on the road.
Heh.

... if you remember turning on & off the high beams by pressing a switch on the floor of your car.

They didn't want to use relays "much" it seems in the older days, the headlights took lots of current so they used the foot switch with the electrical connections in the engine compartment.

There was a relay for the starter they called a solenoid.

The Mustang II was an abomination.

It was "part" Pinto... I later in life friend I found out had a 302 GT version of the Mustang II back the day before I knew him. If I recall correctly the Engine was "offset" a slight bit in the engine bay to get it to fit in.

Some of those had Snakes on the hood like Trans AMs had the Bird.

Funny storie(s). My grandmother bought one of these new in 1974. Brought it home and cut the seat belts out with a butcher knife. Watched her do it. She hated those things.

FF to 2019. I was flowing with traffic on the turnpike. 4 of us were going about the same speed, 78. I got pulled over by the trooper. Pulled me over because I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. She asked why I didn't like seatbelts. Told her the story about my grandmother and the butcher knife. Chuckle, but still got the ticket, ...only for the seatbelt.

1712925678942.png

I remember all of those.
Owned a 72 Pinto sedan. My first car.
Thought the Gremlin was neat. AMC used GM transmissions, I think.
Vega had an aluminum engine IIRC.
Pacer had assymetrical left and right doors, IIRC.
Wide and lots of glass. Handled like a whale on the road.
Heh.
A neighbor had the Levi Edition AMC Pacer - with the blue denim interior

They didn't want to use relays "much" it seems in the older days, the headlights took lots of current so they used the foot switch with the electrical connections in the engine compartment.

There was a relay for the starter they called a solenoid.
My '72 Duster's starter solenoid decided to go south (literally!).

It failed "ON" in the middle of the night in my parents' driveway. Of course, I had left the manual stick in reverse. We lived on a street with lots of morning traffic for the 6am shift at the Birdeye canning factory. My Dad wakes me up a little after 6 to tell me my car is sideways across the street blocking both lanes of traffic! It was stopped by the curb on the other side of the street until the starter died. So, I pushed the old Duster back and forth in neutral until it was facing down the hill. Jumped in quick, put it in 1st, popped the clutch and kick started it. Drove around the block, put her back in the driveway, removed the + battery terminal, and went back to sleep. I replaced the starter and solenoid later that day. 😊

If you ever drove or rode in one of these:
Dad's sister Susan had a Gremlin which turned out to have a posi trac rear end.
How that car came to have that hardware was a bit of a mystery.
At this point on the calendar I don't remember if she bought it new or used.

Back