You don't see this everyday!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure all aviation fans hate to see this, but of course, it is minimal compared to the human crisis. Having said that, I think it is possible that it could be further damaged due to any number of issues (fighting, weather etc. etc. etc.). The 5 year time frame for a rebuild wouldn't be very bad, but a $3bil price tag for repairs seems hard to stomach from a business perspective. As an Icon for Ukraine's engineering and aerospace prowess, it could be worth it, but if a business case needs to be made, that could be very hard. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yup it's ultimately just a plane, the loss of life is much worse. That business case is interesting, I've heard Antanov has had a lot of financial issues. I heard that the 225 or maybe a 124 was grounded in Minneapolis years ago for failure to pay airport fees. But the 225 is unique in it's capabilities so time will tell.

I just found on CNN that Ukraine does plan to rebuild Mriya and has begun purchasing and funding for the project.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/antonov-an225-mriya-rebuild-2022/index.htmlPart of the funding is by producing and selling a "Metal Time" model of the aircraft.
The link is in the above article for the start up "Metal Time." I can't attach the link for some reason.

(also posting in the Metal Earth Models for those that may be interested)

Back