grouch's RDF tips and techniques

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouch

Reaction score
There seems to be no shortage this day and age in really good GPS transmitters and flight even controllers. I have witnessed several fantastic recoveries with these devices and must admit, the technology looks impressive. Being able to see the X marks the spot on a satellite image of your flying field is pretty cool, no doubt. So why would anyone worth an ounce of AP want to fly with a Radio Direction Finding unit? I have read so many comments like “they are frustrating” or “they take a lot of practice” to “GPS gets me there so much quicker”. Even with all the excellent tomes written about RDF, there seems to be a little more room for additional tips and techniques.

First my background. I have been using RDF in my rockets for a little over a year now. Not long compared to others out there but I do have background knowledge from other fields that is directly transferred. I am a HAM and an instrument rated pilot. The HAM thing taught me about what radio waves do and what’s going on but the instrument rating taught me how to use radio and this is what I want to share. I don’t claim to be an expert and I am sure the techies will pick me apart but I want to try to share with you what I do and how I understand it.

Since I am not able to draw or show diagrams, I will rely on descriptions so hopefully this will translate well enough. To understand how to get the most out of RDF and drastically cut down on the learning curve, you have to understand what the RX is doing out there in Farmer Bill’s crops. Your RX is sending out omni directional signals. This is easily misunderstood and I think it the sticking point for most people that have issues with RDF. The TX is not sending out a pencil fine beam straight to wherever you are, nor is it sending out an infinite number of pencil fine beams radiating from the center in all directions even though you think that is what omnidirectional means. What it is doing is sending out a narrow slice of pies that widens as they get farther away from the source. This means while your transmitter is out in a field of corn or alfalfa, your receiver is not going to point straight at it. It only points roughly in the direction where it is and the farther you are from it, the rougher the general direction. So you are probably thinking, yea dumb dumb, this is why I fly GPS because those RDF’s aren’t exact.

Now here is the way to actually look at what is going on and how to use it to your advantage. Remember pie. Not the numerical pie but a slice of pie. The beam the TX sends out gets wider the farther it travels from it’s source. While a slice of pie is a bit of an exaggeration, it is closer to the truth than a precise narrow beam of myth. Look at any aviation book where they discuss an ILS (instrument landing system). As the pilot is far from the end of the runway, the ILS is wide and sloppy. Your nose can drift a bit left and right and you will still show that you are right in line with the approach. As you get closer, the precision picks up to the point that as soon as your heading drifts even the slightest, you will notice you are out of line with the runway. An ILS is nothing more than a RDF system, same principle.

So what does that mean and how do you get your junk back when it’s out in the center of who knows where? Here is what I do. I rarely turn on my receiver while my rocket is in flight. If I were to be flying super high I might change this practice but I mostly stick to the 3-4,000’ range single deploy. Anyway, once the rack is off and the RSO lets people out, I turn on my receiver and point it way off the direction I think it is. I mean a good 45 degrees out or so. Then I hold my receiver level about face high and slowly make a sweeping arc towards the direction I think and past it. I am doing several things while I am doing this. I am listening for the increase in volume and I am keeping an eye on the S meter on the receiver. The volume will continue to pick up until it levels and begins to drop off. I make note where the drop off begins and mark a distant tree or group of trees in my mind while I slowly scan back to where I started, again noting where the volume begins to drop off. When I get a good idea where the drop offs are, I split the difference and that is the general direction on my rocket. Then I rotate my receiver antenna 90 degrees and do it again. This is because I have no idea in what orientation the transmitter antenna is and the receiver will pick it up better someways that others. If noting else, the second sweep confirms the first. Then I start walking off in the direction I averaged. This is where the slice of pie analogy helps. Imagine yourself standing on the crust and have no idea where the “first bite” portion is. A slow sweep will show you the edges on each side of your slice and if you split the difference, you get the center line.

So now I walk a little bit or a lot depending on how loud the signal is, stop and do it all over again. Each time you average the edges, you will find the edges get closer to each other. Walk stop and sweep, repeat. There will come a point where you get so close the sweeping becomes ineffective because the signal strength is so strong when you get close, it overloads the S meter and the volume of the beeping will not drop off no matter where you point your directional antenna. This means you are near ground zero and your rocket is close at hand. If you have a screamer, you probably already hear it, if not then you have to use some sort of attenuator to filter out some of the signal strength. After you attenuated the signal you have to get your edges back. This is where you really need to know your system. My Marshall receiver has a “Far, Medium and Near” setting. Far is far. Medium is generally about 10 yards, so when I can start picking the signal up on the medium bit, I am very close. If I can’t pick it up on the Medium setting yet, I keep walking in the known direction until I can. I keep walking until I can get it on the Near setting which by that time I have usually already found it

Now why take the time to learn all this? First of all, it’s not difficult and not time consuming. If you understand what the radio beam is actually doing, it’s as easy as walking right to it and only adds a little more time to actually just walking straight to it as if you knew exactly where it is. Another reason are the limits of the alternatives. When I bought my tracker, I was reading about the most recent Balls launch where a lot of people where having difficulties with losing GPS locks on the ascent and not being regain locks on the way down. I have to point out the obvious here, without lock, a GPS system is just ballast. GPS units also don’t get you to the exact location, there is some built in variances that allow for some play, say 10 meters or so. I can tell you for a fact, sometimes that is simply not close enough unless you are flying really large rockets with a large foot print and a big old parachute flapping around in the veggies. Little rockets are easily lost inside 10 meters. Also, the GPS units generally require a dedicated installation either as a part of the altimeter in the Alt-bay or a dedicated nosecone set up where as in most cases the RDF transmitter can be simply tapped to a shock cord and moved from rocket to rocket with little thought and difficulty. Lastly and most importantly, the RDF process is extremely enjoyable. Being able to find little rockets in chest high veggies is incredible. I honestly feel like I discovered hidden treasure when I see my rocket for the first time since it left the pad. Words can not explain it. Lastly being able to launch worry free allows you time to actually watch and enjoy the flight and not getting all puckered up when it starts drifting is a fantastic feeling.

If anyone else out there has any good nuggets of wisdom, please add. I just wanted to share with you what is going through my head and how I understand it all. And before any smart allec ask, these ARE the Cliff Notes.

Another thing that RDF has over GPS is how sensitive GPS is to vegetation and having a clear LOS to the satellites. I can't tell you how many times I've had GPS units of various types lose location on me. Automotive units regularly lose signal when driving through forested areas, handhelds do the same while hiking. There's a reason I went back to map and compass planning before doing anything. If you have a unit lose lock while airborne, land in tall vegetation such as high corn, or a wooded area, or in a sharp terrain cut, it may never get its lock back again.

When it works, GPS is a fantastic tool to have, I love it when it's on its game. When it doesn't work, and you don't have a backup, you're often just plain lost.

-Hans

+1 on the RDF use. I've been using the club's Walston system for several year now. I have found several rocket that would have been lost without it. There are quite a few people that have used the system for the first or second time, with minimal instruction and brought their rockets back saying they would have never found them without the Walston.

Turning the antenna 90 deg and resweeping is an absolute must! There has been many times when I got no signal at all in one orientation, but turning the antenna 90 deg. brought in a faint signal.

Another thing I tend to do is triangulate the signal. Sweeping back and forth gets you a direction, or pie slice from your current location, then moving to another location that is not on the line to the rocket can give you a second line or pie slice to the rocket. Where those two lines or pie slices cross gives you an actual area of where the signal is coming from. The closer you are the narrower those pie slices are and the smaller that search area becomes.

I have printed copies of the USGS topo map for our launch area. Not only can you use it to triangulate the location of the rocket, but you can plan the best routes to and from the rocket. If you're in an area without cell service and can't download satellite maps, all GPS will do is tell you where you have to go, not the best way to get there. Many times I've given people with a GPS fix on their rocket a copy of the topo map and marked were the GPS fix is on the map. The topo map is much better then a Google map or a satellite view map for determining terrain, routes, obstructions, etc. when going after their rocket. I know it's pretty old school, but those old Boy Scout skill can come in pretty handy some times.

With the RDF tracker, there are many flights where I can watch it land and see it on the ground. No need to track it at all. Other times I see it coming down and know the general area it lands in. It's in these cases where the tracker isn't needed, I would find the rocket eventually. It's the time saving the RDF provides that is really helpful. The tracker gets me right to the rocket in minutes instead of spending a lot of time searching. In those situations, I don't know if there is much difference between using the RDF or the GPS. If one saves you 40 minutes instead of 45 minutes, both are worth the time savings to get you back and launching the next rocket.

I'm a big fan of RDF also, I actually got sucked into Ham radio because I like RDF for its own sake. I'd like to add that having attenuation in your setup is important. For those using a dedicated RDF receiver, they will likely have attenuators built in, as grouch described. For those using an HT for receiving, one can build or buy a device called an offset attenuator, which shifts the frequency of the received signal before attenuation, as the signal near the transmitter will be so strong that it's being picked up by circuitry inside the HT's case, rendering a simpler passive attenuator useless. A simpler approach is to just tune away from the transmitter's frequency as you approach. When you are very close to the transmitter, the HT will desense, causing it to pick up the signal on more and more adjacent frequencies the closer you get to the transmitter. I've used this latter approach for 2 meter foxhunts with great success.

What I've found with the Walston is that it has the attenuator switch with is really helpful when the antenna is attached, if you don't attach the antenna and leave the attenuator switch turned off, you can tune the receiver to the transmitter with the signal picked up by just the antenna connector. It pretty much does the same thing as using the attenuator switch when the antenna is attached.

You MUST track the rocket during flight! Not wait till after to turn on base. Even if out of site, you will get some signal and direction in the air.
What if you have no idea which direction it lands?

When it's down in a gully or over a hill, [no signal on ground....signal is LINE OF SIGHT]you will have NO idea what direction to head to find. At least if you know the general heading, you may pick up signal again after:

getting closer
being on higher ground
coming in from different direction to go around obstacle, such as trees, buildings, river etc.

Don't forget large silo's, metal buildings & barns,groups of trees, can make you signal go wonkers due to reflection & interference. Water from ponds, creeks, swamps etc. can cause ground plane interference.

You MUST track the rocket during flight!
Yes, absolutely. I recovered a flight that went to 20,000 feet and landed 3.5 miles away, if I hadn't been tracking in flight I'd have had no idea which way to go, and I didn't pick up any signal at all until I was about 0.5 miles from the rocket.

+1 to everything Jim says, to which I would add holding the receiver as high as you can, go to any rise you can find while searching, and making sure you try it at antenna elements horizontal and vertical; whip antennas are polarized and you get better signal if the receiver antenna is oriented appropriately (grouch covered that last one.)

At Airfest I had a GPS stop transmitting at apogee. Still investigating the cause, but was extremely glad I had a ComSpec in the nosecone. The rocket landed more than a mile away from the apogee point. Just caught a faint signal the next morning as I drove north on Dixon road. Triangulated on 70th, then headed back to original (strongest) point to make the trek into the bean field. Half a mile walk in and finally found it. Had max attenuation on and was pointing right at it from 10 feet away before I caught a glimpse of the neon pink chute.

From what I understand, a radio beacon handles acceleration better than a GPS will. I’m planning on using a Telemini in a 24mm MD project with a G-145 that will pull 94G’s that predicts only 7,500 ft and Mach 1.4. I selected Telemini because it’s small for a radio beacon.

So I plan to hook up a Arrow Antenna 440-5 to a Yaseu VX-6R handheld tomorrow in order to detect Telemini’s RDF output radio signals. I don’t know how well this will happen as I’ve never really done RDF before with rocketry/HAM gear. I can configure Telemini V3 with the Teledongle and a laptop. I can not receive any radio beacon data useful to find it from the laptop so far.

One thing one might consider as an adjunct is getting one of those handheld mapping GPS's (example: Garmin Vista HCX) that has a "Sight 'n Go" feature. Ostensibly, one sight points it at a landmark in the distance they want to navigate to and
"lock" in the bearing. This is great for rockets one sees at a long distance to lock in a bearing just before it touches down. No guess work in maintaining the bearing to walk to the recovery site. Also I had a downed rocket I could sight over a drainage ditch way out over a field. I shot a bearing and I had to go way the heck out of my way to get around the ditch and cross over. I followed the bearing and it took me right to the rocket even though I had to do a dogleg around.

Now, conceivably one could hold the GPS parallel to their beam while doing a sweep while maintaining the maximum on the signal strength meter. When the signal is lost (meaning the rocket is likely down or out of range) lock in the bearing
of the beam with sight 'n go. It can give you a start on walking a reasonably straight course to the presumed recovery site or at least get you close enough to pick up the signal again. Instead of "sighting" the rocket by your eyes you lock the GPS bearing based on the maximum of your signal strength.

The biggest problem I've seen with RDF is for very high powered totally sight unseen flights. If the person can't get a reasonable bearing lock on descent and follow a course that's close to the rocket the risk of loss is very high.
I'm told it's worse on the playa as the salts absorb the Rf and the ground footprint of a beacon tracker is ridiculously small. A large ground footprint is a plus with an RDF beacon. Also mind what Jim says in #7. All that is total
wisdom. I've seen a guy put an antenna up on a 30 foot pole to gain a signal advantage!

One possible advantage of 70cm or 2 meter Ham GPS trackers is even if it's transmitting a crap position, as long as it's transmitting Rf and one can receive it, they can RDF to it with just the addition of an attenuator in their kit.
This is the cheapest one I know of: https://www.west.net/~marvin/k0ov.htm Also Jim is a big fan of a GPS tracker flying along with an RDF tracker and a screamer on the harness. Certainly if one has the room toss 'em all in as
it certainly is good insurance for a recovery of a sight unseen rocket. Sometimes you can't fit all three so make darned sure what you use works! I've gotten away many times with GPS only in small fliers but I consider myself lucky.
With bigger rockets it's better to have more insurance which I planned to do with 4' and larger diameter high fliers. Kurt

Yes, absolutely. I recovered a flight that went to 20,000 feet and landed 3.5 miles away, if I hadn't been tracking in flight I'd have had no idea which way to go, and I didn't pick up any signal at all until I was about 0.5 miles from the rocket.

+1 to everything Jim says, to which I would add holding the receiver as high as you can, go to any rise you can find while searching, and making sure you try it at antenna elements horizontal and vertical; whip antennas are polarized and you get better signal if the receiver antenna is oriented appropriately (grouch covered that last one.)

Seeing a few recoveries like this at AIRFEST made me a believer. Also, being able to stand on the top rail of a truck bed to sweep is extremely handy in the Rocket Pasture.

So I plan to hook up a Arrow Antenna 440-5 to a Yaseu VX-6R handheld tomorrow in order to detect Telemini’s RDF output radio signals.

I hope you also ordered cables to connect the antenna to the radio.

I can not receive any radio beacon data useful to find it from the laptop so far.

And you never will. The Radio beacon feature is separate from the telemetry stream. The TeleDongle only receives telemetry.

I have BNC to SMA female cable which I hope is adequate.

On those really high flights i try my best to follow the flight with my receiver. Doing so i can often detect the moment of landing as the signal drops dramatically- rotating 90 degrees is needed to try and pick it up as its usually faint or nonexistent requiring a move. Rdf has a bug if you dont know direction- opposite direction is also strong. To try and tell the valid direction i hold the receiver close to my body and do scans in each of the possible directions. My body serves to attenuate the false signal. Worst thing is not finding the signal as when the rocket lands in between two hills or in a ditch- driving time... try to get as high up as i can. So far so good. Rdf has been very successful for me- it travels on each rocket along with a gps. The gps is great when everything works!

Back