Yellowjacket on VMax

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpummil

Reaction score
Just finished a cool little rocket this afternoon that I designed with OpenRocket.

It's a BT70 body tube with thru the wall reverse raked fins prepped for up to an 11" 29mm motor:
picture.php

While I am a fan of long burn motors, this thing just screamed VMax!!!
picture.php

And a shot of the finished product (unless I add stripes to the fins to further mimic the feisty little insect it is named after):
picture.php

Hoping for at least one launch on June 12th at the Tulsa launch site :D

View attachment BT70-Yellowjacket-29mm.ork

Last edited:
Not to be stupid or anything, but aren't those 29mm motors?

I built a similar rocket I call the Switch Blade BT70 24 mm engine mount, I flew it for the first time yesterday on an E28, and It flew out of site. Mine has a full 28 inch body tube.

Anything more than an E you may loose it! But I just love forward swept fins, not as much as tube fins, but almost!

Andrew

I cracked open your OR file, and I was curious (excuse the ignorance) but what is the 45g mass component in the nose cone? Love the Yellow Jacket!

Thanks Andrew! I'll consider myself forewarned :D

Justin, it's a #206 x 1-5/8 screw eye. However, I neglected to look up a weight for it before I sent out that .ork file :(. Anyone have a general weight chart located on the 'net for components of that nature? 2oz may be WAY off....

Ah ok, that was my theory (that or a swivel). I can't find any weight information, but I'll check my toolbox for one and pop it on my scale if I get a chance today.

Yeesh! This thing MOVED OUT on the F120 VMAX!

Just a perfect day at the range....all rockets recovered.No land sharks, CATO's, core samples, lawn darts, etc, etc :D

That was a great flight, Jeff! Wish I had talked to you before you lit it; I would have been watching closer! John Carlson.:y:

That was a great flight, Jeff! Wish I had talked to you before you lit it; I would have been watching closer! John Carlson.:y:

Haha! Thanks, John! I'm really glad I DIDN'T substitute the G250 VMax for the F120 at the last minute. That'd have really been out of control ;)

I have designed a 3 inch size version of your Yellow Jacket. 29mm maybe 38mm motor mount. If you want a copy or the open rocket file let me know.

Andrew

Hey Andrew!

Is this a new build?

Yeah, I'd love to look it over!

And, as always, anything I post has an Open Rocket file available to anyone that wants it ;)

Improvements not only appreciated, but ENCOURAGED :D

It will be in the near future. I can't build anything till my son goes back to college in August. No room.

Besides, here in Texas we are under a state wide burn ban so the guys who I can fly with that could handle a small H, their field is closed due to the burn ban. The Alamo Rocketeers field is exempt due to the fact it is owned by Alamo Fireworks but it is too small for anything other than a small G.

Andrew

Last edited:
Andrew,

You realize that on a CTI H410 VMax, you can hit Mach 1 :jaw:

I realize that, but I like to get my rockets back. Also won't the fins fly off?

Andrew

What I think I will do is build a 4 inch version with a 38mm motor mount. My wife says for my birthday she will pay for me to join NAR. That way I can get my level one. If she doesn't kill me first. I say you can never have enough rockets. She disagrees.

Andrew

Last edited:
Back