XTF-18

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Something I threw together last night and parts of today.Rain,snow and cold outside.Rocket building weather.Anywhoo- Its BT-60 tube from Patriot and a NC like on a Stormcaster.BT-60 Tube fins,BT-20 and BT-5s make up the rest.Its just under 15" long. As it sits,no chute,ect 43Gs. Went ahead and threw the paint to it. No primer ,filler,nota.Buta-bing..buta boom! So, will it fly...It may need some dorsels on the tube fins .Ill play with it and do what I do."SWING BABY,SWING"

XTF-18.JPG

XTF-18a.JPG

XTF-18b.JPG

XTF-18c.JPG

Last edited:
With enough weight up front, this should fly just fine. Nice design!
Thanks.I took it out yesterday for the SWING before heading out to dinner. I took some clay wth me. I roll the clay into a cone and stick it on end of NC when doing the swing thing.This way I get a good idea of what I need for weight before stuffing it in the NC.Anywhoo- I ended up with 4Gs of clay on end of NC and it flew round and round just fine. Im thinking of (because Ive never done it in a build)putting a baffle in it and cutting end off NC. Put in a block and eye and use part of NC for chute.

I have been doing that quite a bit lately. I would recommend a diversion style baffle.

Cool Looking Scratch build Scotty dog:
But this rocket is not an Odd-Roc. Ya outa get the mod's to post it in the scratch building section where you'd i'm sure get a lot more exposure.
Really Nifty use of leftover parts :)

Cool Looking Scratch build Scotty dog:
But this rocket is not an Odd-Roc. Ya outa get the mod's to post it in the scratch building section where you'd i'm sure get a lot more exposure.
Really Nifty use of leftover parts :)
Fine with me.

Im thinking of (because Ive never done it in a build)putting a baffle in it and cutting end off NC. Put in a block and eye and use part of NC for chute.

Is there enough length on the rocket body for the baffle to be effective?... i'm not sure

Is there enough length on the rocket body for the baffle to be effective?... i'm not sure
Thats a good question. I have ask before about short tubes and the use of baffles. Seems there was no "Rule of Thumb"???????? I guess,if ya look at what a baffle is supposed to do,as long as it fits and you can get a chute in it............I have not seen a min distance recommended from baffle to chute on any of the baffle kits I have.Like I said.."VERY GOOD Guestion." I keep forgetting I have a bunch of baffles from a box of stuff I got on a deal.I built 3-4 rockets and didnt put a baffle in them. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Just my luck ,I remember the baffle and I may not be able fit one in on this build.....:rofl:

Got to get some up today after work. I packed seven and we got 4 off. The farmer was working the field behind us. The wind was coming from that side and I couldnt fire them over the farmers head ,so they were going in the tall grass and if I had a lawndart or something,Ild never found it.And it was getting later than I figured . Anywhoo-The XTF-18 flew SWEET :clap: as you can see for yourselfs. I loaded it with a B4-4. We also flew Estes Patriot,Hornet and Semroc Astron [YOUTUBE]Wfb24uJIV8w[/YOUTUBE]

XTF-18 recovery.JPG

Nice flight, congrats! :clap: BTW, did the baffle work ok, or did you end up using wadding???

Nice flight, congrats! :clap: BTW, did the baffle work ok, or did you end up using wadding???
I went with wadding. I have a thing about actually ,totaly,100% finishing projects. It was ready to try the way it was and I didnt want to play around with more ideas at this point. I most likely will leave it the way it is.Im looking at building one out of BT80s.I really like the look of this rocket and think a bigger one will look even better.:D

I found this one looking at your gallery over at Rocket Reviews, and I'm sorely tempted to try cloning it. Any chance there's a RockSim file or a fin template anywhere?

I found this one looking at your gallery over at Rocket Reviews, and I'm sorely tempted to try cloning it. Any chance there's a RockSim file or a fin template anywhere?
Nope.But,if ya want,I can pull some measurements and get them to you.
I like this bird alot..great flyer and it hauls a$$.
Anywhoo- I need to update the "Temple...". Thanks for looking and glad it inspied you.

Last edited:
Another great looking rocket, Scotty! But BT-80? Naw, go with a 4" upscale!

Ok here goes...this is a builders plan...:lol:
Main body...BT-60 at 6-5/8"=1pc
Tube/fins.....BT-60 at 3-3/8 " to long cut on a 45=2pcs
BT-5 at 3-1/4" to long cut on a 45=2pcs
BT-5 at 2-1/4" to long cut on 45=2pcs
BT-5s are halfs..I think you get it.

MMT is a BT-20 4-5/8" and sticks out 2-1/2" from end of BT-60
NC is 4-3/4" (I think its a 'Stormcaster/Patriot" type) and weights aprox 21gs with clay.
The whole thing is 15"ish long.
CG is 7-1/2" from NC tip (NO MOTOR)
Use the BT-5s as spacers to lay out where the BT-60 tube/fins go.
I threw in a pick to show the angle of fadangle I attached the tube fins.And the fin layout. LL is inside one of the side BT5 halfs
Hope this helps and my info is correct...good luck. Im sure you can make something out of this.
Let me know if ya got any other "Q"s.
Again..its an honor someone wants to clone a "Scotty Dog Scratcher"

xtf-18 003.jpg

xtf-18 002.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! I have a couple of projects in progress right now, but this will be next in line after those. There will be a build thread, of course.

Back