XQ-58 Valkyrie - A Scratch Build / Scratch Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
The first flight of a Marine XQ-58 took place on October 3 2023. The XQ-58 is a completely runway-independent design that uses a rocket-assisted takeoff method via a static ground-based launcher. With its 30-foot overall length and 27-foot wingspan, has a maximum range of around 3,000 miles and a maximum launch weight of 6,500 pounds (including up to 600 pounds in its internal payload bay and/or another 600 pounds under the wings). It has a subsonic cruising speed of Mach 0.72 and can hit an absolute top speed of around Mach 0.85.

XQ-58 Valkerie 001.jpgXQ-58 Valkerie 025.jpg

The plan is to build a semi-scale version of the XQ-58. It features 29 mm power and front eject parachute.

The body on this drone is anything but round. I plan to make a center core using standard body tube sizes, attach fins to that core, and then build the outer fuselage around that core.

I created an Open Rocket simulation, which of course is only a start. You can see the core, and how the fins attach to it. I added a pair of dorsal fins which I may not use.

2023-10-13 Open Rocket Simulation - 3D Figure.jpg2023-10-13 Open Rocket Simulation - Side View.jpg

The simulation is rather crude, but shows that the drone should be stable.

2023-10-13 Open Rocket Simulation - 3D Finished View.jpg

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does it look like the Marines have re-invented the V-1 Buzz Bomb???
It looks so similar, although I admit it may be the launch configuration that makes it look that way.

I am always so amazed at the talent here when it comes to creating these design files! All of you Open Rocket / Rocksim guru are just rediculous! A bit intimidating when I am just starting out. After a break since Feb, I am back to Tutorial 1 on Rocksim. :-(
For what it's worth: putting aside all other differences between the programs, it's easier to make good-looking 3D renders in OpenRocket.

Interesting that the real thing recovers by parachute (also currently some air bags).

It takes off from a rail, with a rocket assist. So it doesn’t need runways for take off or landing. Although a recent chute recovery apparently had an “anomaly” and caused some damage.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-drone-suffers-damage-after-third-flight-test
Problem is, it is supposed to be a “loyal wingman” sidekick to a manned fighter aircraft) most of which (except for the Navy/Marine version of F-35, which is VTOL/STOL) DO need runways.

Curious the trade offs between chute recovery and standard runway recovery.

Per video, to launch from a rail, needs some Jet-Assisted-Take-Off (JATO) device, not sure those are cheap or reusable.

That forward scoop thingie is gonna be a piece of work (presumably a LOT of nose weight) to accommodate the CP effect.

Any chance you can use it to recess the motor a bit? Sort of like the sustainer motor in the Lil’ Augie countered the Krushnic effect?

Better hurry up, or @burkefj will beat you to it (if he hasn’t already!)

Build Day 01 - Tubes and Centering Rings

Used my fly cutter to knock out the centering rings, and cut the tubes on my chop saw.

001.JPG

Last edited:
Lower to Intermediate Tube

Gluing the lower to intermediate tube sub-ass'ys.

The 1/4" holes are for gluing the inner centering rings to the tubes, and the straw is the Kevlar conduit. Kevlar will snake down this tube and wrap around the motor tube and act as the shock cord.

001.JPG

Side View - Lower Subassy to Intermediate Subassy.jpg

Last edited:
Nose Cone

I turned the nose cone out of pine today.... also bought a sheet of 1/4" plywood and cut it up into 24" x 24" pieces.
I need to get me a lathe…
Edit I just looked at how much a lathe is and it was EXPENSIVE are you made of money!!

Last edited:
Gluing The Wings

I used 2 x 6's as alignment fixtures. This raises the wings about 3/8" up off the centerline. The cast weights hold everything flat, the nose cone keeps the tube round.

001.JPG002.JPG2023-10-21 Side View - As Built.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back