X1.4: A 24mm MD prototype story.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always try to put a round wooden dowel behind where I am Drilling. It prevents some of the fibers from tearing. But yes CA And re-drilling is still required for a clean hole

I don't know if you had any rough edges (loose strands of cf) on the hole when you drilled it, but you can fix that by applying CA glue and redrilling after it sets. That gets rid of the furries if you have them.

Pfffft....it’s just a pressure relief hole in payload

025A0E0E-B921-453F-B4B0-B609FC48C132.jpeg Well I think I’m sleep deprived. You know when you leave a VX-6R somewhere in the home and happen to lose it. Arghhh... and now I can’t sleep well.

Too close to signal source, TeleminiV3, needs more attenuation, and possibly needs to be in actual flight/landing mode for radio beacon to activate. Not certain if the pad pulses are telemetry data and not a beacon. Possible too much ground clutter housings.

You'll never hear the telemetry data over your Yaesu, at least according to Keith and Bdale. From the mailing list.

You can't hear the 38.4 bps digital telemetry packets at all -- they're 20.5kHz FSK, so your receiver should just ignore them. They don't even break squelch on my radios.

You have a 24mm M/D rocket that you want to prove the effectiveness of the air foils on the fins and the "nose cone" ?
The "devil is in the detail " !
Are all of your fillets identical ?
Are all of your fins Square to the air frame ?
I personally ain't no expert in rocketry, but you little "cobber" are confusing a lot of ambition with capability.
Surely a slightly offset fin will negate the value of all the "secret squirrel" tech in this project !
There isn't a lot of data logging apart from an altimeter ,any variations could be wind speed ,air density ,temperature or a butterfly disturbing the air mass.
I am not trying to curb your enthusiasm but fly because you enjoy flying , not because you have to prove a point
"because your mouth wrote a cheque , you can't cash"
"cobber" is an endearing term Australians use that sounds a lot better than ………….

There is absolutely no way this rocket is going to test or prove any effectiveness of the fin design. Even if the construction techniques were flawless. What will your flight data be compared to? Is there an identically constructed rocket without the super secret fin design?

Will each flight have the same environmental conditions? Does this rocket have any electronics that can actually measure the fin performance? How many accelerometers are taking measurements? Your not going to see the rocket spinning after .25 seconds into flight.

Congratulations on building a rocket "because you can" and for spending more money per fin then most complete kits. But do you have any way to prove that your fin " is vastly superior to flat plate in drag coefficient and to many civil use sub or transonic airfoils." ?

It's cool to build a carbon fiber, basic 3 fins and a nose cone rocket. It will go fast and high on your big G motor. But your "test" will not prove or show you anything IF you recover it.

After 14 pages of posts and babbling, when will there be some fire?

After 14 pages of posts and babbling, when will there be some fire?

See post #285 (and this one make #399!!)

>> Realistically Bama Blastoff, Grits, or next year are my flight waiver options. <<

(Andrew is just making sure his thread / build remain on page 1 / in the top 15 until he does actually get to a launch..)

See post #285 (and this one make #399!!)

>> Realistically Bama Blastoff, Grits, or next year are my flight waiver options. <<

(Andrew is just making sure his thread / build remain on page 1 / in the top 15 until he does actually get to a launch..)
I wish I could go to Bama Blastoff. I want to meet those Mach1 guys. And the event advertising is great.

HARA is also an option again and they are an hour forty minute drive one way. That makes this so much more doable. They go to 10.8k ft.

Thats not orange peel. Thats much worse. You are wrinkling the under coat that was not fully cured before recoating.

I would highly suggest you follow the directions on the can. You ignore guidance given on this forum. But the directions on your spray can are written by the people that know exactly how it should be used.

If it says recoat within 2 hours or after 48 hours... They are not kidding. Unless you put it in a dry air heated space to speed the curing proccess.

I would say chemical strip the primer and start over.

Simulations give thousands of feet different altitudes, between average and perfect finishes.

You know a funny thought just occurred to me....imagine the guy in 2 years looking for information on a 24mm minimum diameter rocket coming across this thread. I bet their first thought is "geese...14 pages long, must be some serious good stuff in there".

There's a few pearls in here. The NC-cut/built fins are pretty cool, though I'd like to see them fly before spending on them myself.

6CB15202-69D3-42F1-8B65-5700C9D2B776.jpeg
Hit it hard with P220 then P500.
A37C3570-3D94-42AE-9B18-4E03CD64CC26.jpeg
Put another coat on and leaving it alone. Thankfully it was just primer.

Well why’d you bother with the nose cone?
Everyone was screaming how bad it looked after I originally sanded the nylon and the sandpaper grits embedded themselves into the nylon material with dirt. So yeah.

Long story for another day. Had a flat tire which was a brand new Goodyear touring sidewall randomly fail. The tire place covered it under warranty a weekend later. So it was pesky auto grease and dirt on my rocket.

Heck yeah, leave it as is. Just add a little bit of that red Bondo stuff to the tube and call it good. Be proud of your work son. You silly kids these days!

Everyone was screaming how bad it looked after I originally sanded the nylon and the sandpaper grits embedded themselves into the nylon material with dirt. So yeah.

Not sure why you sanded it in first place and it’ll do no good to offer suggestions. Hopefully it won’t offset the performance of those airfoil fins.

You took your rocket to the tire store with you? What about maybe cleaning it with acetone or alcohol before sanding it? It's usually good to clean any surface before you send it.

Latest posts

Back