X1.4: A 24mm MD prototype story.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stupid as it sounds... I wanted to learn to RDF a rocket. The old school method. TeleGPS doesn’t fit into my rocket. So I went with Telemini.

You sure seem to have a lot of budget for a college kid.

Had... I thank VW engineering internship last summer. All I really want is that diploma now. Rather than blow money on cigarettes, beer, movies, and eat out. I decided I wanted a custom 24mm MD rocket. Heck I partially funded a rocket team with personal funds last year. I really ended up liking these high power rockets. Expensive hobby though. Thrill for me is seeing the paper idea become real objects. This’ll be my last project until I graduate. Could’ve paid for an L-2 but went a different route with L-1 rockets. I did underestimate the costs of HAM electronics. It makes airframe costs seem cheap in comparison. Don’t see a lot of 24mm threads for a reason of electronics costs.

I think electronics wise I’m going to be good to go once I want an L-2 in the future and won’t be afraid of flights to high altitudes.

Last edited:
A lot of people around here use 900 MHz instead of 70cm ham band. I think it’s cheaper equipment. Do you have an attenuator to go with that yagi?

A lot of people around here use 900 MHz instead of 70cm ham band. I think it’s cheaper equipment.

They also don’t need to take an exam. Once you pass an FCC tech exam it’s good for ten years. Taking that exam scares a lot of people. About half got up and walked out before finishing. And some questions weren’t in the study guides. Spacecraft antenna bandwidth questions. Yeah I guessed on some.

Had... I thank VW engineering internship last summer. All I really want is that diploma now. Rather than blow money on cigarettes, beer, movies, and eat out. I decided I wanted a custom 24mm MD rocket. Heck I partially funded a rocket team with personal funds last year. I really ended up liking these high power rockets. Expensive hobby though. Thrill for me is seeing the paper idea become real objects. This’ll be my last project until I graduate. Could’ve paid for an L-2 but went a different route with L-1 rockets. I did underestimate the costs of HAM electronics. It makes airframe costs seem cheap in comparison. Don’t see a lot of 24mm threads for a reason of electronics costs.

I think electronics wise I’m going to be good to go once I want an L-2 in the future and won’t be afraid of flights to high altitudes.

... what’s wrong with cigarettes and beer?

They also don’t need to take an exam. Once you pass an FCC tech exam it’s good for ten years. Taking that exam scares a lot of people. About half got up and walked out before finishing. And some questions weren’t in the study guides. Spacecraft antenna bandwidth questions. Yeah I guessed on some.

Half of the people testing with you walked out on a 35 question, multiple choice test? I find that hard to believe.

No idea what you were using to study, but hamexam.org was a good resource when I took my technician test. I need to test for my general one of these days...

Nothing is wrong with cigarettes and beer. I don’t judge people that use those products. However it saves me a lot of money by not using those products.

It is about getting you thinking and applying knowledge, rather than just sprouting what-equates-to-what when you see the phrase, and what precedents have been in the past. The instructor in the class I attended for my license (I only turned up for the first lesson and then the test at the end) told me about a lady who was a lawyer and getting her ham license. She started by asking which section/subsection things were in in the documentation, based on habit. In the end she actually got the knowledge and passed the test. Mind-set shift.

308A5657-F732-4E1D-86F8-957B23769D25.jpeg F428023A-1EBE-460B-A23F-DB368100BD3B.jpeg It wasn’t fully charged. I just wanted to play with it. I found out unplugging Telemini battery then plugging it back in sets it ready to flight mode which then beeps periodically. The signal meter then spikes when Telemini transmits a beep. I wish it was constant maybe it has to be flown to do that!? But now I can click on monitor flight and get data.

Last edited:
Thanks. The VX-6R offers an attenuators in F/W ,Set, dial to 5, ATT, dial to on, then PTT to save. However these external attenuators look nicer for rocketry.

VX-6R did not have enough attenuation even with onboard attenuator turned on for directional finding sub 150 ft.

Dunno currently enjoying the beeping noise from rocket. So tranquil. I’m just staring at it beeping in amazement.

So another question - how do you plan to secure Telemini? Is there an AV Bay in the N.C. you haven’t shown us or did I miss it somehow?

The inside of the nose cone is top secret. If he shows it we'll all be speaking Russian/Korean/Chinese in a matter of months because it'll tip the balance of power so much in the world.

Back