X-Ray Upscale Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a hacksaw to part off the tip. Once it was unsupported, there were no problems.

216_tip.jpg

217_tip.jpg

218_tip.jpg

219_tip.jpg

220_tip.jpg

I wrapped the clear tube with green bar computer paper, to protect it from scratches when I cut it.

228_clear_tube.jpg

229_clear_tube.jpg

230_clear_tube.jpg

231_clear_tube.jpg

232_clear_tube.jpg

The Dust Collection Police approve of your gear. LOL'd when I saw the picture and then the following videos.

The dust mask is a step in the right direction but you could easily attach an inexpensive cyclone to your shop vac like I've done, albeit too late. All those years of sanding balsa in pursuit of my AMA Free Flight obsession have sensitized me pretty badly. Do most sanding out of doors these days with dust collection attached and and a fan to blow the remainder downwind.

That's an impressive bit of turning you did on this upscale. It looks like you were able to get most of the work done using only two stationary tools: Lathe and band saw. I know you'll be using the drill press soon to make centering rings so I'm okay with that.

You have achieved Rocketry Nirvana where you are no longer limited by available nose cones and tube diameters.

Good on ya, Sensei.

Started on the fins. As usual I drilled and pinned the tabs so I could cut and sand them all at once. I'm using 1/4" birch plywood.

239_fins.jpg

240_fins.jpg

241_fins.jpg

242_fins.jpg

243_fins.jpg

I match sanded the fins and rounded the leading edges with the stationary belt sander.

244_fins.jpg

245_fins.jpg

246_fins.jpg

247_fins.jpg

I cut out the centering rings with a 2-1/2" hole saw, and sized them on the lathe. I cut a 12" length of 29mm motor tube, and cut the center holes in the rings with a 1-3/16" hole saw.

248_centering_ring.jpg

249_centering_ring.jpg

250_motor_tube.jpg

251_motor_tube.jpg

252_centering_rings.jpg

I sanded the center holes to size with the Dremel. I realized I have a problem. There's not enough room on the centering ring for a 1/4" eyebolt. A u-bolt won't fit either. I'm not sure a 3/16" eyebolt would be strong enough, but I may have to chance it.

253_centering_rings.jpg

254_motor_tube.jpg

Good lord do I need a fence for my band saw.

Went looking for one from Sears (it's an older Craftsman 12") but it's no longer sold.

You really put that thing to good use!

I sanded the center holes to size with the Dremel. I realized I have a problem. There's not enough room on the centering ring for a 1/4" eyebolt. A u-bolt won't fit either. I'm not sure a 3/16" eyebolt would be strong enough, but I may have to chance it.

Go Wildman style! It works great. Maybe get a shock cord protector if your worried about the shock cord getting frayed.

Agree with the others, this is another fine mess...um...I mean, fine job you are doing. Beautiful work as always Cap'n!

Good lord do I need a fence for my band saw.

Went looking for one from Sears (it's an older Craftsman 12") but it's no longer sold.

You really put that thing to good use!

Mine came with the fence. I believe the saw was actually made by Rikon. But I've been looking at the Kreg fence, it has more capacity than mine. And I use the fence a LOT.

Where are your safety glasses, sir? Norm would be so angry, and I don't think you would like him when he is angry....
Seriously, they are important, and you can get them with 'cheaters' now... I scratched my eyes with sawdust years ago, it was not a fun time.

I foolishly rely on my reading glasses to protect my eyes. I know they're inadequate. I have some "cheater" safety glasses, but the magnifier portion is too narrow. What I need are some huge 70's style reading glasses.

Very very nice work Jim! That's a top notch transition you've turned! I tell you this rocket is going to look sweet roaring off the pad. Since the payload bay is clear, it would be an excellent opportunity to get some HD inflight videos.... Maybe a strobe light or two for some night flying... Just food for thought.:wink:

Thank you kind sir! When I was a kid, I put live cock roaches in my X-Ray. I launched it at dusk at the school, and lost it. Some time later I found out a kid from school found it in the street, he saw the bugs in it, and ran it over with his bicycle. LOL

Now that you have gained a sence of confidence in your ability to turn nose cones, transistions and boat tails, should we expect an increase in your scratch building? Just think, all those childhood favorites are now possible!!!

Thank you, Todd! While turning the nose cones and transitions is rewarding (at least when I succeed), it is a lot of work. Still, it's nice to know I can do it should I ever need a non-standard cone or transition.

Thank you kind sir! When I was a kid, I put live cock roaches in my X-Ray. I launched it at dusk at the school, and lost it. Some time later I found out a kid from school found it in the street, he saw the bugs in it, and ran it over with his bicycle. LOL

You will need a lot of roaches to fill this one.

You might find it useful to use a center on the tailstock when roughing out the shape,
it will put less stress on the screws in the faceplate. Remove the tailstock center when
you are close to final shape.
TimE

Yeah, that's what I do on longer turnings. But I didn't think it would be necessary for the transition, since it's so short.

Nice rocket to upscale. I'm eager to see the results.

You and me both!

The Dust Collection Police approve of your gear. LOL'd when I saw the picture and then the following videos.

The dust mask is a step in the right direction but you could easily attach an inexpensive cyclone to your shop vac like I've done, albeit too late. All those years of sanding balsa in pursuit of my AMA Free Flight obsession have sensitized me pretty badly. Do most sanding out of doors these days with dust collection attached and and a fan to blow the remainder downwind.

That's an impressive bit of turning you did on this upscale. It looks like you were able to get most of the work done using only two stationary tools: Lathe and band saw. I know you'll be using the drill press soon to make centering rings so I'm okay with that.

You have achieved Rocketry Nirvana where you are no longer limited by available nose cones and tube diameters.

Good on ya, Sensei.

Thank you, Grasshopper! Actually, I used three stationary tools. Bandsaw, lathe, and miter saw to cut the basswood to length. So this is Rocketry Nirvana, huh? No wonder the colors look so bright...

Go Wildman style! It works great. Maybe get a shock cord protector if your worried about the shock cord getting frayed.

If you mean epoxying the Kevlar to the motor mount, I've never liked doing that. I always want to be able to replace the shock cord should the need arise.

Nicely done. I love the X-ray and you sure are doing it proud!

Why thank you! I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. I love the X-Ray design, and I've never seen an upscale. But I'm sure someone has done it, somewhere.

Edit: Spoke too soon! 7X X-Ray upscale!

Agree with the others, this is another fine mess...um...I mean, fine job you are doing. Beautiful work as always Cap'n!

10-4 on the mess! I never realized making nose cones and transitions would be quite this messy. Sure is fun, though!

Last edited:
qquake2k, you could always use (2) 3/16 eyebolts and make a Y-Harness for the shock cord. One on either side of the motor tube.

Last edited:
I had an LOL moment today.

Had the drill press all set up with dust cloths draped to protect nearby things, wide nozzle from my Rigid 27hp fuel injected turbo boosted ShopVac with micron bag clamped to drill press table to catch chips and dust, safety glasses on, bright lights illuminating the work, boring away like a madman with a 7/8" Forstner bit into some pine boards and doug fir 2x4's and wouldn't you know it: NO DUST MASK ON!

D'oh!

The project I was working on is a nose cone painting "rotisserie" for those hollowed-out 4" Madcow types.

Jim another very nice build.But I think you need a bigger stove!LOL

I had an LOL moment today.

Had the drill press all set up with dust cloths draped to protect nearby things, wide nozzle from my Rigid 27hp fuel injected turbo boosted ShopVac with micron bag clamped to drill press table to catch chips and dust, safety glasses on, bright lights illuminating the work, boring away like a madman with a 7/8" Forstner bit into some pine boards and doug fir 2x4's and wouldn't you know it: NO DUST MASK ON!

D'oh!

The project I was working on is a nose cone painting "rotisserie" for those hollowed-out 4" Madcow types.

Let's see pictures of this rotisserie. Don't tease us like that!

Back