wood floor install: am I being too picky?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the installer returns bring your concern up to him. That sharp edge could be "cut" by masking the transition and sanding the edge of the new flooring ever so slightly. He should have touch-up stain. With that being done nobody will trip, cut their feet, rip their socks, or notice the differance.

I'd take out the threshold strip and either just slightly bevel the edge against the lower boards (and refinish just that piece), or slope the whole threshold peice 1/16" from one side to the other.

I installed my own prefinished solid hardwood flooring last fall. I'm not a pro, it was my first time, and I don't have any transitions that bad. I think you are right to demand it be fixed.

If I were the installer, the very first thing I would have done is checked the height of the new floor against the old transition piece to make sure they were level. Next, when I started laying boards at that transition I would have checked that transition and if it were that much different I would have STOPPED and shimmed or sanded something until it matched instead of continuing to lay down all the boards! If they have to pull up the floor then it's a "live and learn" loss for them, they need to reinforce to the installer that quality is more important than speed.

Personally I would remove the transition piece and install a new one using the new wood so it matches the level of the new floor, with the back sanded at an angle to meet the old floor. You'll still have a tiny hump but spread over 2 inches will barely be noticable, plus you won't have EXPOSED END GRAIN grrrrr.

Chamfering the edge you'll still have a lot of end grain to splinter and you'd have to finish the ends by hand since the bit isn't going to travel all the way to the door frame...

So today the vinyl guy showed up. I was working from home, so saw all the stages of progress. He worked fast and well.

Having not heard anything on the wood issue, I sent an email just now. Here's a copy, with the names changed to protect the innocent:

Hi Gomer and Ezmerelda,

BillyJoJimBob was here today for the vinyl and he powered through most of the downstairs area! He figured he might even finish the vinyl areas tomorrow, ahead of schedule. I was working from home today so I got to see him work; I give him high marks for friendliness, neatness, and professionalism.

We also love the wood flooring, and are amazed at the perfect color match and how neatly it went in. We can't wait until it's done. The molding is also a great match against the existing surface, and our only concern is the transition to the new wood at the office doorway. As I mentioned in my call on Friday, some of the new boards stick up a bit where they mate with the transition crosspiece. A few of them have 1/16" or more of end grain showing, while others are perfectly flush.

I'm sure this will be resolved, but could you please let me know how this will be addressed? It would set me at ease. A nice smooth transition is important to my satisfaction with the job.

One last thing: Probably nobody will be here Thursday when the carpeting guys get here; please tell them the key is under the door mat.
Sincerely,​

Let's see what they have to say.

Marc

Why is your question directed to me? I didn't give advice or suggest a course of action, I asked Marc a question.
You are correct, sir. It's just that so many people do that to honest hardworking tradesman that are usually decent family men just trying to make ends meet. I know many people don't always bring their "A" game to work yet you don't hear about their bosses withholding payment. Didn't mean to offend if that is what I did.

So today the vinyl guy showed up. I was working from home, so saw all the stages of progress. He worked fast and well.

Having not heard anything on the wood issue, I sent an email just now. Here's a copy, with the names changed to protect the innocent:

Hi Gomer and Ezmerelda,

BillyJoJimBob was here today for the vinyl and he powered through most of the downstairs area! He figured he might even finish the vinyl areas tomorrow, ahead of schedule. I was working from home today so I got to see him work; I give him high marks for friendliness, neatness, and professionalism.

We also love the wood flooring, and are amazed at the perfect color match and how neatly it went in. We can't wait until it's done. The molding is also a great match against the existing surface, and our only concern is the transition to the new wood at the office doorway. As I mentioned in my call on Friday, some of the new boards stick up a bit where they mate with the transition crosspiece. A few of them have 1/16" or more of end grain showing, while others are perfectly flush.

I'm sure this will be resolved, but could you please let me know how this will be addressed? It would set me at ease. A nice smooth transition is important to my satisfaction with the job.

One last thing: Probably nobody will be here Thursday when the carpeting guys get here; please tell them the key is under the door mat.
Sincerely,​

Let's see what they have to say.

Marc

I think that is a very nice and polite way to approach this small issue. I applaud you for treating your workers with respect and kindness. Not many do in this world of ours. I sincerely hope you are satisfied with the result.

I have installed wood floors twice and I did not have that much gap.

The vinyl work in two areas is complete. Excellent job, flawless to my eye. Surprisingly, no response to my email. The company is usually very responsive. Supposedly (from Friday conversation) the wood guy is coming back tomorrow to finish the wood install; let's see what tomorrow brings.

Marc

The vinyl work in two areas is complete. Excellent job, flawless to my eye. Surprisingly, no response to my email. The company is usually very responsive. Supposedly (from Friday conversation) the wood guy is coming back tomorrow to finish the wood install; let's see what tomorrow brings.

Marc

Come on guys don't let the trades down. I got bets there gonna come through.

On a side note... in the industry that type of elevation problem in flooring is referred to as "lippage". Very common in tile jobs, unfortunately.

Marc

Just bring it up to him and offer some suggestions. Express your concerns and I'm sure he will go the extra mile for you. I would mention this before he is finish to prevent him from tearing up more boards than he has too.

Marc

Just bring it up to him and offer some suggestions. Express your concerns and I'm sure he will go the extra mile for you. I would mention this before he is finish to prevent him from tearing up more boards than he has too.

Right. I've left an email (yesterday) and was pretty clear on the phone with the office on Friday. I'll also lay a strip of tape showing the areas where the edge isn't OK. I won't actually be here when the worker is here; I'm leaving the key under the doormat and heading off to work. Things are busy at work now and I can't be late the next few days.

I'm a little grumpy because apparently the vinyl guy took the excess material that he had previously said I could keep for repairs; I left a note with the office that I'd like it returned (and, at the same time, he can have back some tape and hand-wash soap he accidentally left here). I'm sure this was a simple misunderstanding easily corrected. No biggy, just I'm sensitized due to the wood floor issue.

I have good expectations that they will make it right.

Marc

Last edited:
Wish me luck everybody. Supposedly they are finishing work on my wood floor today. Plus some areas of carpeting. Haven't gotten any calls on my cell phone about problems and I know the guy was there at 8 am when my wife left for work.

Support from you guys has been much appreciated and helped me keep perspective. You folks rock.

Marc

Ps: the lost vinyl was actually neatly rolled and stored in my garage on a hanging storage rack... so neat and clean no wonder I didn't notice it. :wink:

So the results are in, and they did a nice job.

They pulled out the crosspiece and presumably shimmed it or whatever and nailed it back down, and used a properly colored putty for the nail holes. The transition is now smooth and looks fine.

I will be giving them a nice writeup on Angie's list. The floors all look great now.

Marc

I'm glad I brought it to their attention because it would have totally bugged me.

That said they were very professional about it (if not particularly communicative) and got it done. It's so nice not having these carpets in public areas of the house with horrible stains.

I'm glad I brought it to their attention because it would have totally bugged me.

That said they were very professional about it (if not particularly communicative) and got it done. It's so nice not having these carpets in public areas of the house with horrible stains.

While the tradesmen were professional about the problem, they probly did not want you to pick up on these communications... :wink:

1.jpg

Last edited:
I knew they would come through in the end. +1 for treating tradesman with a professional attitude. Glad to hear it worked out. A nice little letter to go along with it would help them show potential clients that they have what it takes to go that extra step to take care of the customer.

All flooring has certain specifications as to how level the underneath surface needs to be. Your installer should have intially used a laser to check for low or high spots before he started. I've done new flooring on lots of houses and usually end up customizing the transition pieces on my table saw so that they fit on top of the flooring on both sides. A lot easier to do it that way that to just 'tilt' the transition to span the distance between the two. There almost always has to be a gap between the transition piece and adjacent flooring pieces.

Back