Wire for igniter leads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
Ive been playing around with homemade igniters recently but have run out of lead wire (not bridge wire). For my previous igniters I was using the wire from an old broken estes electron beam. Anyway, that ran out and I'm in need some similar stuff to keep experimenting. Anyone know of a local place that sells wire similar to the stuff I was using before?

Also, ive never really been interested in electronics so I'm lost when it comes to wire terminology (AWG, gauge etc.)

Anywhere local (home depot, radio shack, ace hardware, etc) where I could buy this stuff?

Alex

I've had pretty good luck with Cat5 cable. Strip the outer casing and you've got five pairs of twisted wire (color coded) that make great igniters. Cheap and readily available at most any hardware store.

Another option is 26g or 24g "shooter's wire". This is more similiar to the stuff you got off that old launch controller. I've only been able to find it online, but there are a few sources there. David Bacheldor at Quickburst sells it for $0.18/foot. (Also a great source for pyrogen while you're at it.)

s6

I cut several feet of "shooter" wire off each e-match I use, pm me your address and I'll send you some. I usually give it to mckailasdad for this very purpose, but I don't think he'll be running out anytime soon.

I've used Cat5 cable, too. I have also used 22 gauge wire from Radio Shack, called "Hookup Wire". I made twisted pairs by chucking them in my drill.

I have used both solid and stranded wire for my igniters, and either one of them will work. Mine are also just twisted to the bridge wire, not soldered. I can't find any flux that works on Nichrome. (no luck with the Ruby Flux, either)

In just checking the RShack website, I see they also have 30 gauge. Wow, that's tiny! Wonder if it could work?

IMHO, any wire that you can attach to your bridge wire, and still fit the nozzle, would work. Heck, I've even used telephone wire.

A good source for free wire? Help clean up after the next Club Launch! I've got handfulls...

I prefer to buy local, too.

Oh, Hi Chad! (I previewed) Yes, I do have plenty yet, thanks! You get a chance to try the other ones I made for you?

That works out well, he gives me wire, then I give his wires back, with pyrogen...:dark:! Chad is one of my Beta testers. :wink:

In just checking the RShack website, I see they also have 30 gauge. Wow, that's tiny! Wonder if it could work?

30 AWG wrapping wire from radio shack was used in the thermalite days as leads to it. I've used it recently to make tiny ignitors with a bridgewireless conductive pyrogen. Mainly because of tiny nozzles.

cavecentral said:
...to make tiny ignitors with a bridgewireless conductive pyrogen. Mainly because of tiny nozzles.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do, like AT F12 size (that is the smallest, isn't it? I can't find a nozzle-diameter chart for AeroTech...?)

Can you elaborate on the 'conductive'? You can leave out the pyrogen part, I got that mix down pat.

I mostly use CAT5. It works well and it's free. Almost any business has a wiring closet where they throw away unusable to them, but long for our purposes, pieces every time the do an add, move, or drop of a phone or computer connection. Ask around or have you parents ask an IT tech at work. I am in a small rental office but the trash can in the basement regularly yields 5-20 foot scraps of it. One 6 foot piece is enough for 16 18" long igniters. I can reuse these several times by cutting off 1-2 inches at the end. If you see a commercial remodel or office build out going on there will be hundreds, or possibly thousands of feet of it going to the scrap dealer. If you asked they would likely let you have some. When the remodeled the old real estate office into professional suites where I rent they filled a rollout container with the stuff. Or you or your parents probably know someone in the IT or telecom field including independent contractors who can point you in the right direction. Finally a nearby scrap metal dealer probably could sell you some for next to nothing.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I'm trying to do, like AT F12 size (that is the smallest, isn't it? I can't find a nozzle-diameter chart for AeroTech...?)

Can you elaborate on the 'conductive'? You can leave out the pyrogen part, I got that mix down pat.

I never tried liquid element from firefox. That is one to try.

For my conductive (12V required) - I used 5 parts graphite powder to one part 'normal' powder with 'normal' binder. That was just a first dip, then a second dip in normal. The first dip is the bridge, the 2nd the primer.

I seen other formula that involved conductive lampblack is lesser quantities. This was a more advanced formula. I for the conductive LB from firefox - I don't think all LB is conductive. I haven't tried the formula yet.

Thanks guys! I'll try the CAT 5 stuff, if that doesnt work out, I'll talk to chardog (thanks for the offer!!!)

Alex

Alex, you want some shooters wire aka seminal wire? I've got a ton I saved from the last firework show I did. Catch is if you want it for free, there needs to be a launch sometime.... Otherwise it has to be mailed. I'll never ever use the quantity I have.

Alex, you want some shooters wire aka seminal wire? I've got a ton I saved from the last firework show I did. Catch is if you want it for free, there needs to be a launch sometime.... Otherwise it has to be mailed. I'll never ever use the quantity I have.

Go you have any finer guage stuff AKA 26 or finer? Been trying to find some. I have 22 shooters and 24 from cat 5. The 30 wrapping wire is a bit of a pain since it is not zip and needs twisted, then stripping is tough without breaking the wire itself. Happy to pay a small fee or shipping.

Oh and if you are so kind, take care of Alex first - didn't mean to butt in.

Last edited:
Go you have any finer guage stuff AKA 26 or finer? Been trying to find some. I have 22 shooters and 24 from cat 5. The 30 wrapping wire is a bit of a pain since it is not zip and needs twisted, then stripping is tough without breaking the wire itself. Happy to pay a small fee or shipping.

Oh and if you are so kind, take care of Alex first - didn't mean to butt in.

My stuff is 24 gauge. Most of the shells were wired with what appeared to be around 26 gauge but it seemed so fragile, and during clean up I forgot dikes and just used some hand tearing action to clear the wires. And to think, we had about two cases of spools of the 24 gauge stuff, but Fireworks West took it all back. Go figure, copper isn't free or cheap for that matter!

My stuff is 24 gauge. Most of the shells were wired with what appeared to be around 26 gauge but it seemed so fragile, and during clean up I forgot dikes and just used some hand tearing action to clear the wires. And to think, we had about two cases of spools of the 24 gauge stuff, but Fireworks West took it all back. Go figure, copper isn't free or cheap for that matter!

It would be fragile, but not as bad as 30. I checked a few places a while back for 26, those that had it were out of stock. Between my spool of 22 and ematch remains, I have plenty of bigger stuff. Thanks for the response.

I have # 30 and I use it for very small igniters. It does work, but you definitely have to be careful.

I'd donate some of my spare wire from my Turntable project, but it's 45 AWG and it's gold with Teflon insulation. Sorry, can't have that. :p

I'd use 22 AWG (or whatever is in the CAT5 cables). It's a good general purpose size and it's pretty durable.

I use 20, 22, 24, and 26 gauge shooter wire most of the time.

I'd donate some of my spare wire from my Turntable project, but it's 45 AWG and it's gold with Teflon insulation. Sorry, can't have that. :p

I'd use 22 AWG (or whatever is in the CAT5 cables). It's a good general purpose size and it's pretty durable.

Cat 5 is 24. At least solid is. not a fan of stranded because it bends too easy. If you can't see inside the motor, that can be bad if it does a 180 on you.

Got some CAT5 today at ACE hardware. It's worked beautifully for the tests I've done so far..
Thanks for the advise everyone!!!

Alex

Alex, are you just hand twisting your bridge wire, or are you soldering? What are you using for bridge wire?

For my bridge wire, I use left over nichrome from burnt up Estes ignitors, and I found busted hairdryers have lots of nichrome in them... I love freebees!

I think every igniter I have made has been from 'recycled' materials. I've probably only made 75 or so, but the ones I have used (and given away) so far are 100%.

Alex, are you just hand twisting your bridge wire, or are you soldering? What are you using for bridge wire?

For my bridge wire, I use left over nichrome from burnt up Estes ignitors, and I found busted hairdryers have lots of nichrome in them... I love freebees!

I think every igniter I have made has been from 'recycled' materials. I've probably only made 75 or so, but the ones I have used (and given away) so far are 100%.
Actually for bridge wire im using a single copper wire from a lamp cord. Seems to work nicely actually (about 95% success rate). Im launching on an 18V system that seems to get these things red hot in milliseconds. Yes, I am hand twisting my bridge wire. I lent my soldering gun to a friend who has yet to return it :(

Alex

The stable half goes through hair dryers at an alarming rate - I'll throw them on the wire pile too.:wink:

Latest posts

Back