Windows & self diagnostics.. Grrr!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also running Ubuntu-Gutsy with Firefox, Thunderbird, and Open Office. I still have it set to dual boot because of a couple of proprietary programs that only do WinDoze, but if I can get them to work with Wine I'll likely never use WinDoze at home again.

The biggest advantage of ubuntu gutsy / feisty is that you can re-install it and return all programs with their settings for an hour almost without touching the PC. The biggest disadvantage is that I can't put rocksim. I tryed it on the emulator, but it doesn't work. :(

I got the Rocksim demo working in Wine (I didn't do anything special. I just installed it and it worked). It had some bugs, and it crashed frequently, but it was usable for the most part.

I tried the RockSim demo under Wine and had poor results; I'm planning to try it under QEMU+KWM and see if it does better.

I'm another Ubuntu fan. I run it on my laptop and I'm very happy. The only thing I haven't been able to switch or run through Wine is ITunes. Just recently I switched from running ITunes with my IPOD to using GTKpod and Amazon for true MP3 downloads.
Have any of you Linux users tried Lawndart for rocket simulation yet?

Thanks all to have offered advice & solutions. Very much appreciated.

And yes, I need the Canon software, so the wife can do the photo stuff.. She likes the ‘Canon easy print’ and shares with the nieces & nephews… They have fun goofing around & she want’s a certain amount of independence.. She leaves the “techie” stuff to me..

No, the main gripe was a general one. That windows allows itself to get bogged down with crap: open files, duplicate entries, registry entries that conflict, etc..

But I believe we all agree, that Windows is [mostly] a necessity, and one that needs to bend to everyone’s wants & wishes. And we know that isn’t always possible.

No, there was a conflict with the camera. It worked fine on my WinXP system here at work; loaded with CAD & other assorted engineering & graphics apps.. But a bare machine at home has issues. Weird.

I did call & talk to a Canon rep, and after about a ½ hour, we did get it to work. I now know something new: MSCONFIG.

We went through the list, turning everything off, and one by one, turning it all back on until I found the culprit. The expected thing (I can’t say ‘weird’ as this is expected, right!!) is that it now works, with everything turned on. So, somethi8n cured it, or so it seams.. And I have about 2 dozen photos of random things about our den / computer room! (most of which are blurred due to a slow shutter speed!!)

So, basically, something that’s supposed to be easy to do, turned into a nightmare.. Me spending a few hours with various people & online to solve a silly issue..

So, there are several linux users in this forum. I am asking all of you: What else windows emulators but Wine have you seen? Lots of programs don't work under wine... They could on another emulator...

Wine achieves emulation by making Windows apps run as Linux processes. Whole-system emulators like QEMU are another option; QEMU+KWM uses a kernel module to enhance the performance of QEMU, and I'm looking forward to trying it out on a new computer.

So, there are several linux users in this forum. I am asking all of you: What else windows emulators but Wine have you seen? Lots of programs don't work under wine... They could on another emulator...

Dual-booting bugs me because it wastes disk space (my laptop HD is only 60GB). Emulators bug me because they're flaky and slow at best. The idea I had for hanging onto my beloved Adobe apps and Rocksim is to run Ubuntu on my laptop and when I need Adobe or Rocksim, I can just RDP to an XP machine at home or at my office. In fact, next time the laptop is due for a reload, I may just try that. Did Ubuntu ever fix that deal with the hard drive resetting itself 100's of times per hour?

It works great if it's your only computer. Try integrating Vista and XP on the same network... if that works for you, just try to get network printing to work all the time. Sometimes even just getting it to work once is a trick.

Have this problem too. Got wife a laptop for her birthday....has Vista installed. Constantly having problems trying to print over the network using that machine.

Also, it has done something screwy with the entire wireless portion of my network. Every couple days I have to reboot the router in order for our laptops to connect. Didn't ever have to do that when it was just the XP machines on the network, and just started since getting the Vista machine. I've told her several times I want to wipe that drive and start with a fresh XP slate(or Ubuntu). She and I wanted to give Vista a fair shot, but at this point she's got a bunch a stuff loaded and is reluctant to let me wipe it.

my next computer is a mac

Heck yeah! Leopard pwns Vista! Seriously, I just converted last fall and my MacBook Pro has to be the best comp I have ever owned. No bloatware, no viri, no degrading performance. Easy to use once you get used to not doing things the hard way ;) Plus, I can still use Windows via BootCamp or VMware Fusion if I need to. Xcode and Quartz are a developers dream and they are free too.

- Another drooling Apple fanboy :D

Thx for the help!!!
Actually, under ubuntu I haven't seen the HD to reset... (I am running under ubuntu gutsy 7.10 with 286-14 linux kernel)

Back