Will a aerotech d24-4t be able to life a 3fnc safely?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it kinda looks like the oOP D3 or maybe a suped up MMX engine

Nah. The D3 was an endburning blue thunder motor (similar to the E6 or F10), so it had very little smoke. The one in the image has thick dark smoke, characteristic of the F12 (black jack) reload. It's a nice motor, but it certainly isn't a heavy lifter.

Some rockets actually are designed with break-away fins. Water rockets (the hobby type, not the toys) frequently use foam board fins that are designed to snap off when the rocket contacts the ground. That is especially true of lower-end models that have somewhat crude recovery systems. (Water rocketry also has produced some sophisticated designs with electronics, phased recovery system deployment, aerial photography, etc.)

In our branch of rocketry, break-away fins have been used on occasion, too. I can't recall the specifics right now, but I do remember viewing a website a couple of years ago that documented a large Level 3-type rocket project. One of the things that the author (and his partners) did was to design the fins so that they fit into brackets and were attached via a pivot at the upper end of the fin root. The rest of the root length was held in the bracket by bolts that were designed to shear off if the fin struck the ground with a certain amount of force. The fin could then pivot up on the hinge at the top so that it would not get jammed into the ground and act as a lever to produce damage to the rest of the rocket. The bolt-shearing also absorbed a bit of the impact when the rocket contacted the ground. I don't recall too much else from the site, including whether the fin attachment method worked as intended when the rocket was flown.

Mark K.

I don't think this is what you're looking for, but it works as well... well almost as well. Basically, if you snap a fin, it can be changed out. Not ideal, but it at least saves the work of a new airframe. Also makes transportation nice.

https://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/construction/removable/fins.aspx

Back