Wildman 5" Jayhawk Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superb build thread as ever, sir. Any thoughts on colour yet? That deep flourescent orange seems to be 'the classic', but I've also seen pics of the AQM-37 in a toned down flat orange, or with a white airframe with black patches, and a grey or (what looks like) natural phenolic NC.

Superb build thread as ever, sir. Any thoughts on colour yet? That deep flourescent orange seems to be 'the classic', but I've also seen pics of the AQM-37 in a toned down flat orange, or with a white airframe with black patches, and a grey or (what looks like) natural phenolic NC.
Thank you!

Gotta go with the Dupli-Color Chevy Orange Engine Enamel (DE1620). That plus the Stickershock decal set should pop... I hope... 😁

Big fiberglass builds are awesome, especially when they have lots of parts and are scale models. Very cool build!

Is the base of the 3D printed wire tunnel nose flat or curved to match the curve of the body tube?

I wish mine were that good… tips?
Plant the corn early. :D

I kid I kid... I hope to have the other side of the wiring tunnel filleted tonight, and I'll ask my wife to help me get a more comprehensive photo set as I go. Some tasks just require more sets of hands to get photos along the way.

My process goes something along these lines:
1. Get a good scuff of the parts/area in question
2. Vacuum up dust from scuffing
3. Tape of area off where you do not want epoxy to run, which is in essence deciding how large of a fillet you want to remain.
4. Measure your epoxy accurately. I always use a digital scale, and I also measure out how much thickening filler I use. For most fiberglass projects, I thicken laminating epoxy with milled fiberglass. https://www.totalboat.com/products/milled-glass-fiber I've gotten into the habit of letting epoxy run off/drip off edges and seems to result in a sleeker shape. That's just my personal preference though, it ain't for everybody.
5. Mix up your epoxy and filler and then wet out the area in question where the fillet will go with an epoxy brush or acid brush (you can get these at Home Depot, Menards, etc.)
6. For a fillet this bloody long, I opted to apply the epoxy with a 20ml syringe (get these off of ebay in bulk for cheap).
7. Pro level move here... use a butane lighter or a cigar lighter and pass the flame over the fillet to pop many a bubble.
8. Pull tape while the epoxy is freshly applied, and then hit it with the butane lighter again to pop more bubbles.
9. Go have a Coke and and a smile... :)

Back