Why sell FirstFire igniters but leave out the ejection charge, and plug?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Reaction score
I bought a pack of FirstFire igniters from Rocketry Works (great rocket store btw) because I somehow misplaced the little packet of ejection charge and the plug while transitioning in to a knew house. When I received my igniters theres no plug or E-charge and i cant find anyone who sells that.
What do I do?

I bought a pack of FirstFire igniters from Rocketry Works (great rocket store btw) because I somehow misplaced the little packet of ejection charge and the plug while transitioning in to a knew house. When I received my igniters theres no plug or E-charge and i cant find anyone who sells that.
What do I do?
Several vendors sell the Aerotech ejection charge, or you can just use an appropriate qty. of ffffg black powder obtained from a rocket or hunting friend.

I wouldn't worry about the plug very much, just a wrap of tape over the nozzle ( but not completely ) and another around the nozzle ought to hold the starter in place and allow time to pressurize.

I kinda understand but not completely. The black power is not a problem. I can get some off that. Its the plug I’m worried about.
How much space should I leave around the nozzle?
How well do I need to tape it? Strong enough so that the will not come off at all? Does it matter what kind of tape I use.

blue tape straight across. It's not gonna stay around long enough to matter.
I do it all the time.
or if it's a tiny motor (d-e-f) and you want to do something new and exciting use a toothpick to hold it in place.

blue tape straight across. It's not gonna stay around long enough to matter.
I do it all the time.
or if it's a tiny motor (d-e-f) and you want to do something new and exciting use a toothpick to hold it in place.
I65 54mm

Installing starter in I65. Use a First fire. The grain has a shallow slot along 1 side. Angle the starter toward the side of the motor and gently poke it until it goes farther in. This is the slot. It looks like the rear of the grain is chamfered so it should go right in. A very similar reload is the J90 http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/cu..._Instructions/54mm/54_852-1706wl_in_20071.pdf and it shows the grain during assembly. For ejection, use FFFFg or FFFg black powder from your shooting buddies. Do NOT use pyrodex as it burns poorly at the low pressures ejection charges use. Make sure there is a touch hole in the bulkhead, pour in the BP (1.5 grams or 22 grains) fill the rest of the well with wadding and use a couple pieces of masking tape to hold it all in.

Installing starter in I65. Use a First fire. The grain has a shallow slot along 1 side. Angle the starter toward the side of the motor and gently poke it until it goes farther in. This is the slot. It looks like the rear of the grain is chamfered so it should go right in. A very similar reload is the J90 http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/cu..._Instructions/54mm/54_852-1706wl_in_20071.pdf and it shows the grain during assembly. For ejection, use FFFFg or FFFg black powder from your shooting buddies. Do NOT use pyrodex as it burns poorly at the low pressures ejection charges use. Make sure there is a touch hole in the bulkhead, pour in the BP (1.5 grams or 22 grains) fill the rest of the well with wadding and use a couple pieces of masking tape to hold it all in.
I was told by Gary Rosenfield that the J90 was pretty much the I65 in RMS form. (I had asked about the chances of getting a reloadable I65. He said something along the lines of, "We already gave you the J90!")

This little red plug, does it pop out when the ejection charge goes off or does it need to be fit in there so snug to where it wont pop out?????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 20
if you are asking these very basic common knowledge questions,in my opinion you are not ready for an I65. How can you be and still don't know how to secure an ignitor to a motor, and asking what tape to use? Seriously. Please, get some more experience before you hurt yourself or someone else.

if you are asking these very basic common knowledge questions,in my opinion you are not ready for an I65. How can you be and still don't know how to secure an ignitor to a motor, and asking what tape to use? Seriously. Please, get some more experience before you hurt yourself or someone else.

You keep stating "Common knowledge," but seem to forget that you've been in the hobby just as long as some of us have been. Is it safe to assume that you've forgotten what it's like to be one of the newer folks in the hobby? I would reckon so. The guy got his answer, now he knows...

Jim,

I suspect that this may be for a Level 1 Cert flight, likely the first "reload-able" motor for this Rocketeer.

There is no prerequisite to fly smaller composite motors, before doing a Level 1 Cert.

So, it is possible to go straight from Estes BP motors to Level 1.

I agree that it's a good idea to fly some smaller Composite motors before going for Level 1, but everyone is different.

Dave F.

You keep stating "Common knowledge," but seem to forget that you've been in the hobby just as long as some of us have been. Is it safe to assume that you've forgotten what it's like to be one of the newer folks in the hobby? I would reckon so. The guy got his answer, now he knows...
Well said, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My original question was who sells ejection charges and plugs. Then I was asking about what to use in place of the little red plug. I didn’t mention anything about securing an igniter.

Jim,

I suspect that this may be for a Level 1 Cert flight, likely the first "reload-able" motor for this Rocketeer.

There is no prerequisite to fly smaller composite motors, before doing a Level 1 Cert.

So, it is possible to go straight from Estes BP motors to Level 1.

I agree that it's a good idea to fly some smaller Composite motors before going for Level 1, but everyone is different.

Dave F.
I’ll probably go for my lvl 2 at Octoberfest. Plus ill need to reup on motors after buying about $1000 worth of kits, H’s and I’s at springfest

I’ll probably go for my lvl 2 at Octoberfest. Plus ill need to reup on motors after buying about $1000 worth of kits, H’s and I’s at springfest

Post up some pics of your build and Cert flight . . .

Be sure to have an experienced "wing man"with you, during pre-flight activities, assembling the motor, etc. ( an "extra set of eyes" is never a bad thing, especially on a Cert flight ) . . . Make and use a checklist to help keep you on task . . . "Go Fever" can cause a careless mistake ! ( I know from personal experience )

Best of luck for a great flight !

Dave F.

No Delmar for me. I don’t have vehicle for it.

Post up some pics of your build and Cert flight . . .

Be sure to have an experienced "wing man"with you, during pre-flight activities, assembling the motor, etc. ( an "extra set of eyes" is never a bad thing, especially on a Cert flight ) . . . Make and use a checklist to help keep you on task . . . "Go Fever" can cause a careless mistake ! ( I know from personal experience )

Best of luck for a great flight !

Dave F.
Its not flight im worried about, its the written test I might have trouble on.

From what I read, the Terrain is rough. Too rough for a car.

Back