Why Is NO ONE Designing BOOST GLIDERS & ROCKET GLIDERS For Maximum Performance ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody consider that “Lost Hills” might not be the best name for the location of a model rocket duration competition?
The area is aptly named. I don't think there has ever been a model rocket competition duration competition there. It is one of the top Free Flight duration fields in the world. Not as great as in the past due to several orchards planted next to the field. Still great though.

but this is 50 years later and we have better ways to do things. If an F1C can deploy a 2.5m span swing wing at over 100 mph, I think we can get a little bitty balsa thing to deploy at lower speeds. ;)

If an F1C is deploying the wings at over 100mph methinks something has gone mighty wrong.

Every Flat Cat I have flown or seen flown has always turned in good performance, sometimes "too good" - LOL !

Personally, I think the Estes B4 motors are the best BG motor ever . . . Sometimes, RG's need a little more "oomph", so the B6 is the best choice.

Dave F.

Anybody consider that “Lost Hills” might not be the best name for the location of a model rocket duration competition?
Well it beats the field we used in Taft. And it’s miles closer to me.

It laid in the shadow of the Kitty Litter factory.

Now there’s a prison there...excuse me, a “correctional facility”.

Would this be an appropriate thread to discuss the pros and cons of a delta wing planform vs traditional or swept wing planforms, or should that be in a separate thread?

Would this be an appropriate thread to discuss the pros and cons of a delta wing planform vs traditional or swept wing planforms, or should that be in a separate thread?
I’d say start a new thread, it will get more focused attention.

Maybe it's too hard to compete against RC gliders? (More expensive, takes learning an experience to fly). Seems like all the new design ideas have been tapped out over the years so the only other way to win is go lighter? That makes for more shreds and DQs. Or use more complicated to fab "exotic" materials like carbon fiber and vacuum bagged fiberglass over foam that the average flier doesn't have $ for or experience with?

Maybe it's too hard to compete against RC gliders? (More expensive, takes learning an experience to fly).

Point well taken . . . Spot on !

I have long said ( for decades ) that free-flight gliders should not have to compete against RC gliders, whether Boost-Gliders or Rocket-Gliders. There should be a separate event for RC gliders.

There is a precedent for this. Back in the day, Flexwing Gliders were allowed to compete against traditional gliders. The performance difference was so great that Flexwings were given their own separate event, Flexwing Duration.

Dave F.

Also it's sad that gliders are not as popular as they were in the "old days". I notice from all the old magazines and newsletters that a lot of new designs and improvements happened in the time from about the late 60s to the early 90s. Lots of experimenting so there was a lot more excitement.

Estes came out with a lot more glider kits than now. A lot of them were very cool experimental type designs too, like the scissor wings. And the Soaring Eagle, kinda a combo flex wing and rear engine glider. Hardly any rocket vendors carry glider kits anymore. Looks like the excitement over gliders is way down. So I guess most folks aren't -- I guess the right word is
motivated -- to spend time concentrating on performance for competition. Like I said, very sad.

Point well taken . . . Spot on !

I have long said ( for decades ) that free-flight gliders should not have to compete against RC gliders, whether Boost-Gliders or Rocket-Gliders. There should be a separate event for RC gliders.

There is a precedent for this. Back in the day, Flexwing Gliders were allowed to compete against traditional gliders. The performance difference was so great that Flexwings were given their own separate event, Flexwing Duration.

Dave F.
Yeah that would be great to separate RC into it's own event. That would level the playing field and be more fair for free flight glider contestants to compete just against each other. Then it's about craftsmanship. And strategy like what motor to use. Or when to launch (skill identifying thermals). RC just has too much advantage.

More fair competition might bring the ecxitement back. Might even kick start more clever creative designs.

Usually on the fuselage bottom at the CG location.

Here is the FF Electronics unit_

48M6Gyil.jpg
You have a link for that?

Back