Why am I the ONLY one being sensored?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V'ger

Reaction score
I notice that [POLITICAL] posts by certain [PROTECTED] members of this board are allowed. They can critisize the President of the United States (and he does need critisizing), can be pro-Democrat or Liberal, can promote the [MYTH] of manmade global warming, can critisize the Iraq war, ect..

Then when I post things that are opposite of liberal thinking or views, I get warnings or censorship? I wonder if this board is made up of left-wing liberals? Or at the very least people who are primarily left thinking, anti-right , self righteous 'know nothings'!

I am sorry, but time after time after time I see the most 'empty' exchanges of information on this forum. I see attacks upon American Values, the government (conservative/republican), and people; yet these posts/posters are never curtailed. Let me give some examples:

Here is a 'I hate Bush' in disguise post"

https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33056&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

Denverdoc,

I agree with you on this needless and illegitimate war,

I don't support it,

I don't support the leadership who got us into it,

But I support our troops 100% who have to go there
and hopefully come out of that absolute chaos in good health
while trying to clean up the mess made by the politicos up to their best abilities...

Here is a 'fluff' post... while we get drunk and celebrate some over paid jock while our country is falling apart:

https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32643

NFL Playoffs
There's not much football (NFL) talk here on the boards.

Anyone else here excited about the upcoming playoff and the road to the Super Bowl?

As you might be able to tell, I'm a Baltimore Ravens fan, and we are enjoying a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

A really dumb/trolling type of post for a Drivers License:
https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33084

Drivers Permit Age?
In California, what is the current minimum age for a drivers permit?

I recall it being 15 1/2 years old (4 more months!) but just did a quick google search and it showed a minimum of 15... anybody know for sure?

Anyways, about to start my 30 day online course (shouldnt take that long)

Ok, so there are a few examples of the silliness and political postings that [ARE] allowed. Yet my posts, which may be VERY critical and hold NO punches, are germane to rocketry. My postings about the C-SPAN program concerning ASATs and the new militarization of space. My postings about Chinese economics and space and its impact upon the United States.

It seems that I had better get into step with the majority here. Check my personal and political opinions at my start menu, and sing, 'Coom ba ya' when I log into TRF!

Demoncrats can do [NO] wrong, and Republicats are Satan's menions. Global warming and the internet were discovered/invented by Al Gore and I had better not question this else, the liberal stone throwers here will fire off email to the moderators and get my and any postings they dissagree with banned. So much for free thinking and speech.

From now on if I see [ANYTHNG] that even remotely resembles a political protest against the right, or pro-global warmng, or pro Pepsi con Coke, I will file a protest to the moderators and insist upon an explanation why that form of freedom of speech is protected as opossed to my freedom of speech.

V'ger

P.s. Since I can't tell people about Michael Savage, I don't want to see one posting allowed concerning NPR. FAIR? Probably not in this censored environment...

I don't know what posts you've had pulled, or why, but you are wrong that everybody else gets a free pass. In the Iraq thread, it's true there are some posts with a political adgenda. But I was present on the board when there was at least one goofy leftist ranting post that is not there any more.

And as much as I am a conservative, I have to tell you that your railing against football threads and the like does not help you at all. What in the world is wrong with an off-topic discussion? It is clearly stated in the forum description that non-rocketry items within reason are allowed. Unless you think the world is burning and we shouldn't discuss anything but politics. (In which case, 99%of this board would be out anyway) It makes you appear to be slightly out of touch.

And don't be surprised about your political views being moderated. Even rocketry politics like NAR, TRA, and ATF, doesn't usually make it very far.

Originally posted by 10fttall
I don't know what posts you've had pulled, or why, but you are wrong that everybody else gets a free pass. In the Iraq thread, it's true there are some posts with a political adgenda. But I was present on the board when there was at least one goofy leftist ranting post that is not there any more.

And as much as I am a conservative, I have to tell you that your railing against football threads and the like does not help you at all. What in the world is wrong with an off-topic discussion? It is clearly stated in the forum description that non-rocketry items within reason are allowed. Unless you think the world is burning and we shouldn't discuss anything but politics. (In which case, 99%of this board would be out anyway) It makes you appear to be slightly out of touch.

And don't be surprised about your political views being moderated. Even rocketry politics like NAR, TRA, and ATF, doesn't usually make it very far.

Very nice, but this [STILL] doesn't explain my postings about C-SPAN posting being removed. There was a [VERY] slight criticism of Wolf Blitzer and Barbara Boxer... I think that is what did it. And my criticism of Al Gore is [SURE] to get this thread pulled...

V'Ger

P.s. And we both know that pro-football is weak compared to college football where the college player is hungrier and gives more effort to get the multi-million $$$ contract in the Pros :)

When my posts get chopped I know it is bacause I am acting up and the content of my post had no place on a rocketry forum. Rather than gripe about yours or anyone elses political views being stiffled, why not just leave them off of the ROCKETRY forum? If you are talking about the Parade Magazine thing where it started with rocketry and you got into race and religion... That was an easy one to call.

Originally posted by V'ger
I am sorry, but time after time after time I see the most 'empty' exchanges of information on this forum.

So, no threads on this forum unless they're about rockets, Star Trek, computers or some sort of advanced maths then?

Originally posted by V'ger
A really dumb/trolling type of post for a Drivers License:
https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33084

So, explain to me how that's trolling? And just so we're clear, the definition of Trolling from 4umi.com/web/glossary.htm is:

"Deliberately provoking arguments on newsgroups or bulletin boards, with no other intent than to gain attention for the sake of attention."

Maybe you'd like to keep your more politically-centered posts for Newton's 3rd Forums, where you're guaranteed not to have posts pulled by a mod.

Phil

My question is why do people keep thinking that the right to free speech applies here? It does not as this is a private place and if the owners want to change every word in someone's post they can. If someone does not like it too bad.
It's their sandbox.

If you want to go to a rough and tumble place with no punches pulled go play at N3. Yup, the "mean forum" there you can post any philosophical, political, or technical viewpoint you want. Then you have two choices. Either defend your position or duck.

Otherwise post here and accept the moderation (sometimes a bit overzealous) that comes along with the privilege of doing so.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
My question is why do people keep thinking that the right to free speech applies here? It does not as this is a private place and if the owners want to change every word in someone's post they can. If someone does not like it too bad.
It's their sandbox.

If you want to go to a rough and tumble place with no punches pulled go play at N3. Yup, the "mean forum" there you can post any philosophical, political, or technical viewpoint you want. Then you have two choices. Either defend your position or duck.

Otherwise post here and accept the moderation (sometimes a bit overzealous) that comes along with the privilege of doing so.

Not that I am trying to bring religion into this discussion but:

Ahhhhhhhhh-meeeeeen!;)

This is a GREAT forum for rocketry questions, answers and camaraderie. The moderators ask that we avoid political discusions. I think that is a pretty easy rule to follow, especially if that's what it takes to continue using this forum. There are plenty of forums out there where you can have all the political discussions you want, including newtons 3rd if you need to do politics and rockets together.

play by the rules :)

chuck

(edit to correct spelling typos)

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
It's their sandbox.

Wow!

If this were true, meaning that if the owners/moderators were of the opinion that they can "change every word in someone's post", I'd be more than willing to take my voice elsewhere, not to N3, but elsewhere none the less...

Now I don't for a minute believe that to be true, but if it were I'd bail in a hearbeat. I do think the owners/moderators want to keep the forum largely focused on rocketry however and that is a good thing.

I do see Vger's point about certain speach being more tolerated. However I attribute that to group think more than ideology. Right now it's "in" to bash Bush and the war, and quick drive by's are allowed as with denverdocs attack. However it certainly doesn't represent the views of everone here. It doesn't represent my views.

Where Vger gets in trouble in my humble opinion is that he tries to put forward thought out positional arguments, and those posts are taken down because they are just too in depth. I may be wrong, but that's what I think...

Geez I hope this post doesn't get taken down. I think that would be my first real infraction...:rolleyes:

V'Ger - I'm sorry you feel you are being singled out. It's quite possible you generated the most noise therefore drawing the most attention to yourself. While we try our best to "feel" people out and see where they are coming from, I personally have no idea what posts have been pulled nor do I know the intent of posts or anything related to your participation on this forum. I have no idea what kind of community member you are.

Why? Because I spend about 90% less time reading through posts than I used to and I am sure most of the other moderators are in the same boat.

What we do appreciate is the self policing type that inform us of issues on the forums. This is a "community" forum - and sometimes - a "moderators" forum. More often than not, when threads go ugly and people start to claim unfairness, violations of their freedom of speech, their right to indecency, their claim of "Bobby did it so why can't I?" complaints, then we have to claim the latter - a moderators forum. That's the unfortunate part of this particular forum.

We don't catch them all and when we do, don't take it personally.

I believe enough feedback has been provided by some of the members of this forum. I am certain the many responses that would have followed would be similar in kind. If there is any confusion please Email or PM any of the moderators rather than posting an open question. I'm sure the color and variety of responses will vary as opposed to that of a moderator.

You are correct. I will be going back and pulling many of the posts you brought up. If you saw the Pulled posts section, you would find that some of the members you've quoted have their share of pulled posts as well. I'm not going to touch the NFL ones because you're just nit-picking there, but the other ones honestly just got missed.

Why do yours get pulled quicker? For the most part, it's because your last 15 posts are all in the Pulled Posts section for political content. While, in my scanning, I may miss a post or two from people who don't normally post political content, I can look over your posting history over the last half year and know that any post I see outside of a construction thread has about a 75% chance of being political.

Are you being censored for content that is allowed by others? No. [BUT] your political posts are more [EASILY] identified due to the quantity. and thus they [DO] get noticed.

P.S. For what it's worth, I pulled many of those posts and I [AGREE] with most of your views, if not your [PRESENTATION] of same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back