Who Started the Moronic Moon Landing Hoax Conspiracy Theory?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, it was started for the sake of Neil Armstrong's mom, who was freaking out at the idea of them blasting her son at the moon.

"Relax, Mrs. A. Don't tell anyone, but we're just going to fake it to get bragging rights over the Russians. Neil will be safely hidden away in a movie studio the whole time."

But then she told one person, and that person told one person, and then that person told one person....

There were people who did not believe it was possible, before and DURING the flight. An elderly gentleman, pretty much as man on the street type who insisted it was not possible, was interviewed after Apollo-11 launched (Apparently he was a guest of someone, who wanted him to be there to see it take off). He was unconvinced. He agreed he saw a big rocket launched, but said "but what keeps it up there?" He could not grasp the idea of objects moving SO fast that they could orbit the Earth, and with more velocity leave the Earth and fly to the moon.

This kind of inability to understand were part of the seeds from which this "hoax" B.S. grew from. Then the anti-gubmint types and conspiracy nuts fueled the flames, and so on. And the movie "Capricorn-1" (Faked Mars mission, Apollo type Lunar Module in a movie studio) accelerated the problem.

I will say the way things have gone lately, that I half-expected Bart Sibrel to have been appointed as the current NASA Adminstrator.

“The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents.”
― Salvador Dali

I am sure it originated in a trailer park or WV considering the fact that that is here UFO siting occur. Before you get angry, I am from WV and used to live in a trailer park.

"Please, Please Stop Talking About Moon Landing Conspiracy Theories"

by Jonathan O'Callaghan , Forbes Magazine

"Almost 50 years ago, two humans set foot on the Moon for the first time. They were followed by ten more in one of the greatest – and most expensive – crewed space exploration endeavors in history. It was, arguably, one of humanity’s greatest achievements to boot.

But I am so, so very tired of entertaining conspiracy theories about the Apollo missions. God knows I’ve had to debunk a fair few in my life, but it’s time to stop. We need to let them go. We need to stop talking about Moon landing conspiracy theories. Forever.

If I’ve learned anything from flat Earthers, Obama birthers, steel beamers, and whatnot, it’s that some people will not be swayed even in the face of insurmountable evidence. You can debate them on TV or on the radio, you can show them pictorial proof, or even let them speak to people involved in the event. It doesn’t matter. They won’t believe you."

More at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonath...oon-landing-conspiracy-theories/#6cf587a53049

"Please, Please Stop Talking About Moon Landing Conspiracy Theories"

by Jonathan O'Callaghan , Forbes Magazine

"Almost 50 years ago, two humans set foot on the Moon for the first time. They were followed by ten more in one of the greatest – and most expensive – crewed space exploration endeavors in history. It was, arguably, one of humanity’s greatest achievements to boot.

But I am so, so very tired of entertaining conspiracy theories about the Apollo missions. God knows I’ve had to debunk a fair few in my life, but it’s time to stop. We need to let them go. We need to stop talking about Moon landing conspiracy theories. Forever.

If I’ve learned anything from flat Earthers, Obama birthers, steel beamers, and whatnot, it’s that some people will not be swayed even in the face of insurmountable evidence. You can debate them on TV or on the radio, you can show them pictorial proof, or even let them speak to people involved in the event. It doesn’t matter. They won’t believe you."

More at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonath...oon-landing-conspiracy-theories/#6cf587a53049
But it's fun!

I just watched an episode this evening of The Truth Behind The Moon Landings on the Science channel...the series where a shuttle astronaut and an FBI field investigator do research on the popular conspiracy theories on the "faked" moon landings and interview and debate a moon landing conspiracy guy.

Tonight they took on one of the classic nonsense theories that no one can get past the Van Allen Belts - at least not w/o tons of lead shielding. They did some scaled down tests in a lab and proved to the conspiracy guy that a thin sheet of Plexiglas and a thin sheet of aluminum stopped 90 % of the alpha and beta particles.

First time I've ever seen a conspiracy theory guy admit that the popular Van Allen belt theory that the moon landings didn't happen was just bs, and was not proof the moon landings were faked.
He remained skeptical for other reasons, but this was the big one that went down in flames right in front of him.
That was fun.

Last edited:
Back