Which SatV kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heada

Reaction score
I have both the Estes EST1969 and the EST2157 kits. I'm trying to decide which of the 2 I should build for a flyer and which should be more for display. What are your opinions and why?

Only major difference I see is the plastic LEM shroud on the 1969 versus the cardstock one on the 2157.
The plastic one has molded in details, while the cardstock does not.
So you might say it would be better for display.
But it also is more durable than the cardstock shroud.
So you might say it's better for flight.
:questions:
Your call.
Also the tower on the 1969 is supposed to be easier to assemble.
The fins are the same on both. Molded styrene, an improvement over the earlier models with the vacuform plastic.
Fairings are still vacuform though.
For flight I worry about landing damage to the tower and fairings.

That's the kind of reasoning I was looking for. 2157 for flight. The molding in details in the 1969 would be better for display and I can repair the 2157 easier after flights.

Depending on how scale you want your display to be (and which mission you want to display), one is more accurate than the other. 1969 has four ullage motors on the interstage wrap, while 2157 has eight. Only Apollos 4 and 6 had eight ullage motors. Well, Apollo 6 had eight ullage motor fairings, but only four motors -- but it still looked like it had eight. Apollos 8 through 14 had four ullage motors. Apollo 15 onward had no ullage motors. 1969 would more accurately reflect the more well-known missions (11 and 13).

Note that the 1969 interstage wrap had an error in it when it was first produced, discussed on Chris Michiellssen's blog and on TRF. It has an easy fix (if it matters to you at all - no one's gonna notice, much like the ullage motors 🤣). I think they fixed it in later production runs and for the 1973 Skylab model. Anyway, here are the links to the issue and the fix:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-1969-saturn-v-status.149279/post-1862828http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2019/02/mistake-in-estes-1969-saturn-v-inter.htmlhttp://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2019/02/mistake-in-estes-1969-saturn-v-inter_22.html

Keep the older kit intact, build the newer one (it's easier to build), then buy another of the newer for your collection.

The 1969 is the better kit, with molded LM shroud and fins, but IIRC, it is a little heavier. The vacuform fins of the 2157 are fragile, but can be replaced:
I think the earlier production runs of the 2157 may have vacuform fins. Mine have the molded styrene fins.

Buy 'em all, fly 'em all. The Sirius, Cox, Dr. Zooch and Polecat may be the only ones I don't have.

Last edited:
Buy 'em all, fly 'em all. The Sirius, Cox and Polecat may be the only ones I don't have.
Wow, that must be a lot! Estes has released about 5 versions now, starting with the K-36? Then there's Quest MMX, FlisKits MMX, Dr. Zooch, Peter Alway, Centuri, Apogee, LOC - what am I missing?

Wow, that must be a lot! Estes has released about 5 versions now, starting with the K-36? Then there's Quest MMX, FlisKits MMX, Dr. Zooch, Peter Alway, Centuri, Apogee, LOC - what am I missing?
Oops. Add Quest, Peter Alway and Fliskits to that list. I knew I'd forget some. Now I may do some shopping.

My 2157 had the vacuum formed fins, I made Lite Ply replacements when the fins deformed from the solvent adhesive I tried to use on the first one. Much more resistant to damage than the original.
For the Dr. Zooch I recommend spraying the wraps with clear before attaching to the body to protect the printing.

Back