Which Side Is The Flamey Side?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which closures are correct?

• Aft closure to the left of the text

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Aft closure to the right of the text

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

DabCat

Reaction score
Alright TRF, which way should the text face on the casings and why? A while back my friend brought up that I had my closures reversed, and we debated which way is correct. I'm curious what TRF thinks. So, which is correct? Aft closure to the left of the text, or aft closure to the right of the text?
1692256450640.png

*I know this doesn't effect the performance at all. It's purely opinion based.

Attachments

• 1692255954854.png
    1692255954854.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
English is read top to bottom, therefore the text should be presented top to bottom when placed in a vehicle. Flames come out under the text (red casing here is correct). The other way is objectively wrong

English is read top to bottom, therefore the text should be presented top to bottom when placed in a vehicle. Flames come out under the text (red casing here is correct). The other way is objectively wrong
Lmao English is read top to bottom? Uh ok I think it’s read left to right. Where did you learn read lol

No because I want my eyes to go in the direction the rocket zooms and tilt my head to the right

No like you need it to be if you held your head straight, the text would come in order to your eyeballs (like a starwars credits scroll)

Right-minded people with a Left-handed predication would assemble the motor with the top orientation (No. 1).

Two of my motor assemblies offered as evidence; L1090 (blue case), M1297 (black case).

IMG_7393.JPG M1297-L3-Motor-21.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe it is like the blade of a chain saw. You need to flip it, making the printing upside down, to even the wear and extend it's life.

I don't know ...

Most times my rockets fly upwards but sometimes my rockets fly from left to right and sometimes they fly from right to left ...

OTOH, Aerotech shows this orientation ( shamelessly pirated from AEROTECH RMS-38/720 COMPLETE MOTOR HARDWARE SET - 3872M )

View attachment 598583

So maybe #1 I mean #2 is correct ? :) :) :)

-- kjh

I think we need to get Karl at Aerotech to tell us what is the correct assembly orientation.

He has all the answers to our questions.

Thank you for adding something else that will be in my head when building a motor. I never paid attention to the print before, now I will be looking.....

bottom to top (the second one). that is the correct way to wright it, and it is the same on other casings.

And yes now I will probably have to look at the writing on all of my motors so thx for that! ;)

All of AeroTech's marketing photos that I can find show the text oriented from L at the forward closure to R at the nozzle end. So obviously, if you're taking pictures with the intent of selling the hardware, that is the correct orientation.

For flying them, do whatever you want.

I would answer by making the following observation – the vast majority of text decals on rockets start aft and read forward, which would make motor #1 correct, in that it matches the rest of the text on the rocket.

high power model rockets with decals – (link to google image search)

Tony

PS: I think a more illustrative photo would have both aft closures on the left hand side of the image)

Last edited:
I would answer by making the following observation – the vast majority of text decals on rockets start aft and read forward, which would make motor #1 correct, in that it matches the rest of the text on the rocket.

high power model rockets with decals – (link to google image search)

Tony

PS: I think a more illustrative photo would have both aft closures on the left hand side of the image)
AARG !!!

All of my decals are on backwards !

That explains EVERYTHING !!

-- kjh

Mine are all #1. I think even reversing closures once and awhile would not be a bad idea. Seems the forward closure end always "catches a little more hell" than the nozzle end.

That's an easy question to answer: The text on the tube should flow in the same direction as the stickers mounted to the Body Tube that bear the name of the rocket.

The normal convention for engineering drawings is to read in the normal horilizontal mode or from the right fir text at 90degrees. I usually keep this convention with most things I build, unless I am doing something semi-scale where I am guided by the existing layout.

So the blue case would get my vote.

Back