3D Printing Which One to Start?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on my first 3D printer. I plan to use it for nosecones, transitions, fins on MMX kits and perhaps av bay sleds or nosecones for high power. I know I need to be able to print ABS for MMX and PTEG for high power. Seems like most people are going for the Prusa Mk.4 or the Bambu X1C. I’ll put it in my heated workshop which is a converted garage bay. Interested in hearing your pros/cons on the different units. Would you choose what you have now if you were buying again?

P1S and never look back.

I dithered for over a year between the P1S and X1C. For $500 less, haven't yet found anything I've given up, and I love the AMS unit (not for multi color prints, but it's the best dry box ever, and when stacked with multiple spools of the same material will do an auto changeover)

It just works every.single.time. Even when sometimes I click on the wrong boxes in the slicer. The only non standard thing I've had to do is lube the lower pulleys for the Z belt because I was getting the squeak, which is apparently rather common. Other than that, it's worked flawlessly. Finally was able to print PETG as easily as PETG and actually have gotten ABS somewhat figured out.

In over a dozen spools, only 1 failed print, and that was right at the start and because it was old filament and brittle from having absorbed moisture.

My hobby has gone from tinkering with and maintaining an Ender 3 to actually printing things. I've used more spools of filament in the last 3 months than in the previous 2 years.

Last edited:
MMX might be difficult on a FDM, I’d recommend a resin printer for that but they are generally to small for HPR parts.

We have probably a half dozen Bambu printers where I work, and people LOVE them. Fast, and the print quality is extremely good. While I have not used the Bambu printers at work, comparing the print quality between the Ultimaker S5 and the Bambu... the Bambu wins, hands down.

Prusa Mk.4 or the Bambu X1C.
You will not regret either of these—fantastic designs and engineering. I own a Prusa Mini and MK4. I also own a Bambu Labs X1C and P1S.

I prefer Prusa's support. Their Chat and Forum are unmatched in terms of support. It is also easier to replace the nozzle. Prusa's printers are well-documented for their longevity. You can monitor printers and upgrade without connecting to the internet. Prusalink and Prusa Connect are still beta but quite stable.

The P1S is by far the cheapest. The X1C has lidar and physical auto-leveling sensors. The X1C and P1S have an enclosure and can monitor your prints (camera) as shipped. They may be on par with Prusa, but only time will tell.

I prefer buying my printers as a kit and building them, so I learn to fix them. Prusa gets the nod from me for that. That being said, I do not think you can go wrong with either.

If you are doing only MMX, I would do with an Anycubic Resin printer and not FDM.

Good choice on location. PLA and PETG do not off gas anything harmful. ABS, ASA, and others do off-gas things that should stay away from family! :)

+1 on what Chuck said! :)

Good choice on location. PLA and PETG do not off gas anything harmful. ABS, ASA, and others do off-gas things that should stay away from family! :)

+1 on what Chuck said! :)
I am definitely not huffing the fumes.

Back