Where to buy tubular nylon & what kind

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starz

Reaction score
I'm getting into high power rocketry and am wondering where to buy tubular nylon for my shock cords. I assume just like kevlar, it is cheaper from outside sources (not from rocketrey stores.) What kind should I get? What diameter/strength rating?

Thanks!

One Bad Hawk
Loc/Precision
Chris' Rocket Supplies
Wildman Rocketry
Apogee
Top Flight Recovery
Rocketman

Just to name a few...There are oodles of vendors out there that have tubular nylon. Almost all of them have size recommendations based on rocket diameter and weight.

Also check strapworks.com. They aren't specific to rockets so they don't make recommendations, but, they have a wide variety of options in size and color, their prices are usually decent and they ship fairly quickly.

The various vendors above have several choices including sown loops. You can make your own loops with monofilament fishing line wrapped many times around and then epoxy it. That's worked for me in customizing what I want. While I have gotten looped cords from several of the above, I've also gotten some nylon line at REI and made my own loops.

The various vendors above have several choices including sown loops. You can make your own loops with monofilament fishing line wrapped many times around and then epoxy it. That's worked for me in customizing what I want. While I have gotten looped cords from several of the above, I've also gotten some nylon line at REI and made my own loops.

Waaaaaaiiiiit a minute here...I've never heard of this method before. You have pictures of this fishing line mothod?

Waaaaaaiiiiit a minute here...I've never heard of this method before. You have pictures of this fishing line mothod?
Yes, make a small loop in the cord for your D-links or use a swivel , then start tightly winding monofilament around many times. Tape to hold in place and then smother in epoxy. Awhile back a friend gave me many feet of "bull" line (what they use to pull lines thru long runs), and did the same. Pic also included. You have to remove the wire line first from the bull line. Also, you must use a Nomex cord protector with the bull line since it can easily be damaged with the hot ejection gases. So I really only use the bull line with my piston ejection systems since it stays better protected.

Attachments

• CSC_2596.JPG
    CSC_2596.JPG
    457.6 KB · Views: 57
  • CSC_2597.JPG
    CSC_2597.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 57
I'm still trying to decide between tubular nylon and kevlar

I buy Kevlar off of Amazon from Emma Kites. It works great and I've used it in a few high power rockets. I usually use the 550 for mid power and 700-2000 for high-power. The only downside is how easy it zippers the body tube. I've never had Kevlar snap.

What are the benefits of that?

The kevlar doesn't need to be protected from the ejection charge, so, it is good to have that close to the motor. In general, nylon stretches a bit so it is more forgiving of anomalies or poor ejection charge timing while kevlar handles the heat better but doesn't really stretch. I've launched rockets with both and either works fine when everything goes well. Often I do as RocketScott suggested and use kevlar near the motor and then nylon for the rest.

I've used Seattle Fabrics nylon for smaller rockets, Bluewater Rope nylon for larger airframes. And Paragear has a 9/16" nylon for the in-betweens. All of those are in the 1/2 to 3/4" range. Also, I second Emma Kites for your kevlar needs.

I use Kevlar almost exclusively. When I do use tubular nylon I use GM Climbing. I get it from Amazon. The downside of nylon is its bulk. It takes up much more space than Kevlar.

I use Kevlar almost exclusively. When I do use tubular nylon I use GM Climbing. I get it from Amazon. The downside of nylon is its bulk. It takes up much more space than Kevlar.
Ah okay, then I will probably just use emmakites kevlar

I would also keep an eye on military surplus. I bought a while roll a few years ago for about $45 with 300 years.

Back