Where can I buy ammonium perchlorate for a good price?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrej

Reaction score
Hi guys

I would like to know if any of you know, where can you buy ammonium perchlorate (spherical, 200 micron) for a good price. Are there any clubs or groups of people doing group buys straight from the manufacturer (American Pacific). If so does anyone have a contact of someone who can supply AP?
Why am I asking this? Last year my friend Denis and I went to the BALLS to fly a two-stage project. Since we are from Europe, we shipped everything we needed beforehand (disassembled rocket, launch rail and vacuum mixer) to Reno, NV. We also had HTPB premixed with plasticizer, aluminium, defoamer, etc. We only needed to add the AP, that we bought from RCS rocket motor components. I can buy AP here in Europe, but importing it to the US would be a major headache. We came to Reno a few days before BALLS, where we rented a small barn. There we mixed and casted both motors. Both motors worked as planned, but we had a structural anomaly during sustainer flight. That is why we are planning to try again at BALLS in 2021. Last september we paid $150 for one 20lbs pail of 200micron AP. Shortly after BALLS I noticed that the price of AP at RCS store skyrocketed and now the same 20lbs pail costs $490. That's more than 300% increase. I don't know what is the reason for this, or is this a RCS thing or something happened with regard to manufacturer. Whatever the case, now I have to find a different supplier. I already checked Firefox, but it seems their website is down. Skylighter and Pyro Chem Source have it, but it's expensive. I know that in the past sometimes people would buy a few drums straight from the manufacturer. Is this still happening? To who would I have to talk too?
Anyway I would really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.
If anyone is interested, I attached a few photos of our BALLS project and a portable vacuum mixer that I built for this project.

Andrej

BALLS28-2.jpg

BALLS28-1.jpg

Vacuum mixer-1.jpg

Vacuum mixer-3.jpg

Hi guys

I would like to know if any of you know, where can you buy ammonium perchlorate (spherical, 200 micron) for a good price. Are there any clubs or groups of people doing group buys straight from the manufacturer (American Pacific). If so does anyone have a contact of someone who can supply AP?
Why am I asking this? Last year my friend Denis and I went to the BALLS to fly a two-stage project. Since we are from Europe, we shipped everything we needed beforehand (disassembled rocket, launch rail and vacuum mixer) to Reno, NV. We also had HTPB premixed with plasticizer, aluminium, defoamer, etc. We only needed to add the AP, that we bought from RCS rocket motor components. I can buy AP here in Europe, but importing it to the US would be a major headache. We came to Reno a few days before BALLS, where we rented a small barn. There we mixed and casted both motors. Both motors worked as planned, but we had a structural anomaly during sustainer flight. That is why we are planning to try again at BALLS in 2021. Last september we paid $150 for one 20lbs pail of 200micron AP. Shortly after BALLS I noticed that the price of AP at RCS store skyrocketed and now the same 20lbs pail costs $490. That's more than 300% increase. I don't know what is the reason for this, or is this a RCS thing or something happened with regard to manufacturer. Whatever the case, now I have to find a different supplier. I already checked Firefox, but it seems their website is down. Skylighter and Pyro Chem Source have it, but it's expensive. I know that in the past sometimes people would buy a few drums straight from the manufacturer. Is this still happening? To who would I have to talk too?
Anyway I would really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.
If anyone is interested, I attached a few photos of our BALLS project and a portable vacuum mixer that I built for this project.

Andrej

View attachment 411900

View attachment 411901

View attachment 411923

View attachment 411922

Nice mixer set up!

It seems the surplus supply is now basically gone. When SRBs were being made, lots was being manufactured. Those were hogs! But now...

Gerald

Indeed. Orbital-ATK, now Northrop Grumman (Space Systems sector), had a huge contract to purchase AP from AMPAC for their solid-prop.

However, they will once again need large quantities when SLS starta cooking off, as well as for their giant solid motor Orion vehicle

Indeed. Orbital-ATK, now Northrop Grumman (Space Systems sector), had a huge contract to purchase AP from AMPAC for their solid-prop.

However, they will once again need large quantities when SLS starta cooking off, as well as for their giant solid motor Orion vehicle

Credible rumors suggest that Northrop has decided to make their own AP rather than buy from anyone else. An acquaintance heard that straight from a Northrop rep at an industry expo, and there are many news articles that make it very clear that Northrop is sick of buying from Ampac.

I will neither confirm or deny those rumours. However, combining the legacy expertise of Orb-ATK and the resources of NGC certainly makes such an endeavor feasible

Back