When Space Is At A Minimum....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRitchie

Reaction score
I'm going through a divorce at the moment (no, rocketry wasn't involved, although she wasn't fond of the hobby), and as a result, I have had to move from a large, four bedroom/garage/basement house to a small two bedroom apartment. All the space I used for storing, building, painting, etc, is now history.

My rockets are currently being stored in someone's garage until I can get a handle on things.

Do any other forum members live in apartments or other smaller lodgings? And if so, how do you make space for your rocketry related stuff? If I even move in all my built rockets, I'll be buried alive!

Dilemma, dilemma.....I wonder if it's worth going to make nice with the wife?:D

What I wouldn't give for a second bedroom...

I cope by putting things in corners and on top of bookcases, by moving stuff I'm not using down into the storage area, and in general by living around it all. Every once in a while I go through and throw out old stuff, and I'm more ruthless about that than I used to be. I rarely regret it (though I can't for the life of me find the wall-wart for this old router...).

It may be out of your range, however a small trailer might fill the bill. You can find a small clam shell or box that is used for a reasonable amount if you look around.

Now you know why those Self Storage places are on every street corner.

Now you know why those Self Storage places are on every street corner.
To store x-wives in :confused2:
I feel your pain Richie...had to sell my Harley to pay for my escape from bi.. umm witch mountain.But it was well worth it in the long run!!
Hang in there.

I live in a college dorm room, so I feel your pain and then some. Completed rockets are kept either in a bin under my bed or the larger ones are in the closet with my shirts. I also have some newly made chutes hanging there because I haven't put them away yet. Building supplies are in bins under the bed. I make it a point to put stuff away after I get what I need. Tubes are nested together and other supplies are packed in where they fit. 99% of all of my supplies are under my bed at all times. Motors are at home, obviously, because they are "fireworks." (Please don't start a "no they aren't" conversation, the school is my "landlord" and I need to abide by its rules.)

I just throw it all in my room. My mom yells at me, and the stuff eventually disappears, wherever its going, there seems to be plenty of space.

I went through one of those things back in 2003. I just got a two-bedroom apartment, one bedroom for me to sleep in and one for the rockets. When I built my house in 2005, I had a room built for the computer and rockets. The trailer is also a good idea. I have an 8x10-cargo trailer that I keep the big rockets like my Honest John I done my level 3 cert with and stuff in that usually go to launches with me. Best of luck in whatever you decide is best for your mind, body, and soul.

My situation is similar. My family of 4 (2 adults +2 kids) moved from a large house in a community with a very poor school system... to a much smaller 2 bedroom townhouse in a nice suburb with a top notch school system.

It was a very tough decision to make. We gave away/tossed out literally half of our possessions. There was no way short of winning the lottery that we could afford the same size home in the new community. We ruled out storing our "stuff" in favor of simplifying our lifestyle.

We've been in the smaller digs now for four years and (in most cases) we are all very happy making do with less stuff. In fact I've gotten so good at doing more with less, that now I can do almost anything with practically nothing. ;)

My advice is ... When space is at a minimum, make room for what's most important to you. :D

See the pictures below of my old rocket work shop and my new one.

old rocket shop.jpg

new rocket shop.jpg

During a divorce I wouldn't want to make any large investments (trailer). Unless you cleared it with your attorney. Your first concern should be with protecting YOUR assets. Same with storage of your property, she'll probably land up with most of it anyway. Even with the most cordial of seperation/divorces its not the spouse your dealing with its their attorney and they are not your friend! Good luck. Uncrichie.

Did ya hear about the new Barbie doll. Its called "The Divorced Barbie" Yup,and she comes with all of Kens stuff.:roll:

Back