What's your build area, shop, room look like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have some work to do to get my work shop completed and moved into. Working on getting the exterior primed and painted before the weather gets too cold/wet and need to get the electrical in so the interior can start to be completed. By the way, it's not just rattle can paint that is in short supply. Went to Sherwin Williams store to get some bright white for the trim and was told there is none locally to be found. Also the price has gone up on what you can get--$50 for a gallon of primer!! But I've tried the cheap primer in the past, and it's worthless.
View attachment 482366
View attachment 482370

View attachment 482363
Any progress on finishing it?

Any progress on finishing it?
Yes, but it's been a long haul. Between work, wife going into the hospital for a few days before coming home to recover for about 3 weeks (Covid related), and only being able to work on it during the weekends (I work nights) when I had the time, it has taken longer than I thought. However, over the last 3 or 4 weekends I've been able to make good progress. The exterior painting was completed in October and the outdoor equipment storage side of the shed was pretty much finished the beginning of November, along with the wiring and lighting. Since then, I've installed the insulation (have almost stopped itching) and have started putting up the interior paneling. I already have the flooring setting in the garage ready to install as soon as I'm done with the wall paneling. I really want to get this completed as I haven't done any actual rocket building since starting this project. Plus, building rockets doesn't cause me to have to use a heating pad on my back.
Painted shed.jpg Shed 12-19 (1).jpg Shed 12-19 (3).jpg Shed 12-19 (4).jpg

A few weeks ago, my enthusiasm for this project was waning, so I needed to order some (more) rockets for the build pile to get my motivation recharged--it worked!! Rockets 1.jpg

A friend of mine came over and tore off the loft section of the garage which the owner of the garage built or I should say half ass built it, and he had to put a vertical support to go up to the ceiling as he built it too flimsy and didn't use 2x6s that went all the way across the garage wall. Then he had to put a vertical support under it to help hold it up so my buddy tore all of that out and we put a 2x6 all the way across the front and some actual OSB board and now it will hold quite a bit of weight so the first picture is of everything tore out with just the wood structure painted.
uIeVesA.jpg

This is with everything up on top organized by my wife since I can barely stand up:
aySI5JR.jpg

The Tanker desk was then put on 4 small dollies and moved under the loftnstead of on the side wall
U2pQ6Jh.jpg

I'm not done yet with it,

Finally got the ceiling paneling completed (still deciding on what style ceiling light I want). Cutting the panels in 9 degree weather in an unheated garage was not fun, but it felt good to complete that part of the job. Laid out some of the floor planking to see what it is going to look like (nice), but weather still fairly cold and tested positive for Covid couple days ago, so just resting at home for now. It's like an old carpenter neighbor told me years ago--"Mike, you do good work. You wouldn't make a living doing it, but you do good work."

Ceiling.jpg

Flooring.jpg

Finally ready to start moving into my new hobby room next weekend. Still got a few small details to finish, but I'm gonna be building rockets in here soon, and man I'm ready. I've been bribing the young guy that lives across the street from me with beer for the last few weeks to help me move some of the heavier items when the shed was ready (driving truck for a beer distributor has its advantages).

Shed door.jpgShed floor.jpgShed shelf.jpg

Finally ready to start moving into my new hobby room next weekend. Still got a few small details to finish, but I'm gonna be building rockets in here soon, and man I'm ready.
All right, going to be a great rocketry room. Thanks for the pictures.

A construction / destruction zone.
A good description of this project. This is what it looked like when I started (This is almost the same camera angle as the third picture). The blue tape on the floor is where I was seeing where I wanted to place my workbench).

Beginning.jpg

Are you going to build your own workbench?
No. I've got a new computer desk and am going to use the old one as my workbench. It has about 3 times more work area than the little desk I've been using plus more storage nooks. I do plan on building a paint booth, but want to get the workbench in so I can see how everything I would like to do fits together with the floor/wall space I have available.

You must live someplace warm
No, I live in Eastern Washington. But the shed is insulated decently (including some insulation matting under the floor) and I have a good space heater. The space heater will warm it to a comfortable temp in about an hour, so in cold weather I will need to plan ahead. Besides, I will deal with the cold as long as I don't have to hear about paint smells and dust in the house from my wife. :rolleyes:

Finally got the ceiling paneling completed (still deciding on what style ceiling light I want). Cutting the panels in 9 degree weather in an unheated garage was not fun, but it felt good to complete that part of the job. Laid out some of the floor planking to see what it is going to look like (nice), but weather still fairly cold and tested positive for Covid couple days ago, so just resting at home for now. It's like an old carpenter neighbor told me years ago--"Mike, you do good work. You wouldn't make a living doing it, but you do good work."

View attachment 502538

View attachment 502539
So your shed… is split. How big is it totally vs rocket hobby room? How are you running power? Do you have a separate fuse box? How are you heating (and cooling?) the hobby area? I’m in a similar predicament, I can buy a shed and finish off the interior OR buy a shed - move a bunch of stuff out of the garage and use the garage as my work space. Both have advantages and disadvantages…

So your shed… is split. How big is it totally vs rocket hobby room? How are you running power? Do you have a separate fuse box? How are you heating (and cooling?) the hobby area?
The shed is 20' L x 10'W with the yard side being 8' L x 10' W, leaving the hobby room to be approximately 12' L x 10' W. This worked out good because any out building over 201 sq ft needs a permit from the city. Two 20 amp circuits were ran from the main CB panel in my garage to the shed (approximately 50'). There it goes into a 20 amp duel pole toggle switch, due to code stating you have to be able to disconnect the power into the building (but the CB in the main box are fine for circuit protection). For heat I am using a good quality 1500w space heater (I knew where I wanted the heater, so it will be on one of the circuits by itself, with the other circuit for lighting, radio and future paint booth exhaust fan). As far as cooling, at this point I'm thinking shorts, tee shirt, box fan and a cooler with cold refreshment in it. But seriously, I'm just gonna wait and see how miserable it is before I invest in a window unit. Oh, I had to have this built on site due to not being able to get the trailer into my backyard.

The shed is 20' L x 10'W with the yard side being 8' L x 10' W, leaving the hobby room to be approximately 12' L x 10' W. This worked out good because any out building over 201 sq ft needs a permit from the city. Two 20 amp circuits were ran from the main CB panel in my garage to the shed (approximately 50'). There it goes into a 20 amp duel pole toggle switch, due to code stating you have to be able to disconnect the power into the building (but the CB in the main box are fine for circuit protection). For heat I am using a good quality 1500w space heater (I knew where I wanted the heater, so it will be on one of the circuits by itself, with the other circuit for lighting, radio and future paint booth exhaust fan). As far as cooling, at this point I'm thinking shorts, tee shirt, box fan and a cooler with cold refreshment in it. But seriously, I'm just gonna wait and see how miserable it is before I invest in a window unit. Oh, I had to have this built on site due to not being able to get the trailer into my backyard.
Great info, I have similar size limitations. I’m trying to decide on if I want to run power or just take a section of my garage and wall it off for rocketry and put all the stuff from the garage in a shed.

I took the TV down then moved the French cleat bracket on the horizontal 2x4 That was already pre existing on the back wall and was able to raise the TV 2 in which allowed for the Mirage center channel speaker. Next on the list is cable management.
HWFV6kL.jpg

Got the workbench moved into my hobby room, along with mounting the shelving and pegboard. Also have my stereo system wired in with a Bluetooth adaptor so I connect my phone to the receiver. I am planning at a future time to build a vented paint booth in the corner to the left of the workbench.

Shed WB.jpgShed shelving.jpgShed Paint shelf.jpgShed overhead shelf.jpgPegboard.jpg

And of course, when I am working at the workbench, I can't be troubled to get up to readjust the space heater or dim the lights, so both are controlled with remotes. 😁
Remotes.jpg Shed lighting.jpg

Attachments

• Remotes.jpg
    Remotes.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 2
I replaced the indoor/outdoor speakers that were on either side of the garage door with some PSB Towers, Stratus Bronze models, and it's a big increase in sound quality. I still have six or seven items on my list of improvements to make.

Got the workbench moved into my hobby room, along with mounting the shelving and pegboard. Also have my stereo system wired in with a Bluetooth adaptor so I connect my phone to the receiver. I am planning at a future time to build a vented paint booth in the corner to the left of the workbench.

View attachment 514027View attachment 514020View attachment 514021View attachment 514029View attachment 514040

And of course, when I am working at the workbench, I can't be troubled to get up to readjust the space heater or dim the lights, so both are controlled with remotes. 😁
View attachment 514043 View attachment 514022
I see you mention a space heater. Is this a shed? Looks like the window in front of the computer would be a great place for a window unit AC if you're in the parts of the country where AC is necessary.

Also, love the use of the vaulted ceiling for the tall to short rockets. Does seem to me you may need to add some more short and fat ones to make sure the shelf is balanced and is less likely to fall. Yeah, that's it. That's why I need to buy some more rockets. That's the ticket. . . :)

Sandy.

View attachment 514027View attachment 514020View attachment 514021View attachment 514029View attachment 514040

View attachment 514043 View attachment 514022
Nice! How do you like the 3 panel LED ceiling lamp? I’m considering getting one for my shop.

Nice! How do you like the 3 panel LED ceiling lamp? I’m considering getting one for my shop.
I have one of those (a similar model) in my garage. It's impressively bright. My main complaint is that I couldn't find one with a warmer color temperature; it's very much on the blue side. If I could find one in the 3000-4000K range I'd replace it.

I searched but could not find a thread where you could show what your build area looks like. Is it in a basement, garage, bedroom? How much room do you have allocated? OverTheTop posted up pics of his fantastic shop in another thread, but other pics of build stations were far and few between. I am getting ready to move once again:( and have been looking at houses daily, so I am scoping out each home to see where I can have a possible build area

So please post up pics and give a brief explanation on what works for you.
All I have is a small apartment and a lousy coffee table.Help.

Nice! How do you like the 3 panel LED ceiling lamp? I’m considering getting one for my shop
I have one of those (a similar model) in my garage. It's impressively bright. My main complaint is that I couldn't find one with a warmer color temperature; it's very much on the blue side. If I could find one in the 3000-4000K range I'd replace it.
Don't all LED ceiling lamps only come in one color? I thought you got whatever they decided was their right color.

I looked around for quite awhile for a LED light I liked, because I wanted it dimmable. When I found this one on Amazon I was really excited because in addition to being dimmable, the light color has 3 different settings. The reviews were mixed, but so far I've been pleased with the light. Plus, it was only $25, so I felt it was worth a shot. This is the 60 watt version (which is more than adequate for my room), but it also comes in an 80 watt version. My only complaint so far is when dimming the light or changing the light color, there is a slight delay. Also, I haven't tried the phone app that can be downloaded to control the light (several comments in the reviews said the app was junk).

https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contr...1650471605&sprefix=Neporal+LED,aps,144&sr=8-7

This is the 60 watt version (which is more than adequate for my room), but it also comes in an 80 watt version.
I was sceptical of these thinking it would not be enough light. Might be ok in my 1 car garage but it can never be too much light for me. Years ago a friend and I were walking back from his apartment to my house and he said, " Wow, look at all that light over by your house". Turned out my garage doors were up and my (8) 8 ft double tube lights were on.
I noticed on your ink that they make a 100 watt version too:
https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Int.../B08HH1YRZV/ref=psdc_5538121011_t2_B087WKZDQV

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back