What's happened to Christine?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
I found an older rocket a few weeks ago, Maxi Alpha 3, and found a part missing from the packing (BT-80 coupler). So I give Estes a call and, low, and behold, Christine isn't working in customer service - it was some other guy (sorry didn't catch the name). A pleasant enough gentlemen.

Anyhow he gets the part number and almost tried to charge me, until I amplified that it was missing from the kit (e.g. not packaged). The part arrives, in good time, and, low, and behold, it's the wrong part.

Oh, where's Christine?!

P.S. The gentlemen stated that she's working in the warehouse.

I was told she was in there temporarily.

I doubt I'll even get the malfunctioned motors replaced, never mind the rockets they destroyed. This guy had no clue as to what he was doing.

~Bob

Christine was still working in Customer Service as of last Tuesday, 11/22/05. She is sending me a replacement wing pivot for my Scissor Wing Transport. I ordered it through their web site and she sent a response the next day. Beats trying to get through to her on the phone.
Question
5. How can I order replacement parts for my Estes rocket?
Answer
To order Estes rocket replacement parts, you can fax or email Estes Customer Service. Our fax number is (719) 372-3419. To email us, please fill out the Contact Form.

Question
6. How do I get missing or defective parts for my Estes rocket?
Answer
If you have missing or defective parts, you can fax or email Estes Customer Service. Our fax number is (719) 372-3419. To email us, please fill out the Contact Form.

Originally posted by BobCox
Christine was still working in Customer Service as of last Tuesday, 11/22/05 . . .

As of late last Tuesday afternoon, and yesterday, she hasn't been on the phone lines anymore:(

This could be serious . . . . what are we to do?!

Originally posted by sunward
Switch companies and use ones that provide good customer service?

This here company has awesome customer service. I needed a replacement nose cone for my SU-47 and Angelo had sent it to me even before he got my money order and he was also very patient with me as that was the first time I had sent any sort of payment outside the US.

Thanks much Angelo.:D

Well, I sent them an email saying I wasn't happy with the runaround I got.

I got one back, unsigned, of course. To do anything, they want receipts of the crashed rockets AND the motors. The way it was written, it sounds like they were accusing me of doing something underhanded. I've been a loyal Estes customer for 30 years. And this just set me off big time. So, here's my response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, unfortunately, I no longer HAVE those, as all of them were purchased approximately 3 months ago. I don't generally keep reciepts for rockets that long, and neither does anyone else for that matter. I do remember that the A10-3T's were purchased at Wal-Mart in Stratford, CT, and was the Gauchito. The D12-5 were purchased at the local Michael's, and the X-Prize Rubicon was purchased online at HobbyLinc.com.

The quality of Estes products has gone down considerably in the past few years, and this just makes me want to cease purchasing Estes products completely. Congratulations, you just lost a 30 year customer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm ticked off. Guess I'm buying from everyone else now.

Sunward and Fliskits, here I come!

~Bob

Did I mention that I really like the Desert Fox, Angelo? It's giving me a nice challenge without being a royal pain.

~Bob

Originally posted by Garnaralf
Well, I sent them an email saying I wasn't happy with the runaround I got.

I got one back, unsigned, of course. To do anything, they want receipts of the crashed rockets AND the motors. The way it was written, it sounds like they were accusing me of doing something underhanded. I've been a loyal Estes customer for 30 years. And this just set me off big time. So, here's my response.

Not to be on he other side here but owning a retail store I just want to point out that after that long and with no receipt it isnt totally forgone that they might think that maybe you just bought this one at a tag sale already opened and now want parts... sure you had good intentions but if they assumed that for everyone with no time limit and no reciepts then Estes would be a fool...

I guess the lesson is to save receipts...

That is one of the downsides with dealing with such a large company, gotta play by the rules and they usally dont bend...

Angelo at Sunward has some nice kits and between him Semroc, Quest and all the rest you could actually boycott Etstes...

Sunward . . . good input.

As for Estes, I'm hoping that this isn't a downward trend and just a couple of isolated incidents.

I've held Estes as an example for how customer service should be, in any industry. I hope this isn't the beginning of a downward trend.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to take Sunward up and test the waters.

Originally posted by Countdown
Not to be on he other side here but owning a retail store I just want to point out that after that long and with no receipt it isnt totally forgone that they might think that maybe you just bought this one at a tag sale already opened and now want parts... sure you had good intentions but if they assumed that for everyone with no time limit and no reciepts then Estes would be a fool...
But from what I've read on TRF over the past year and a half, that is exactly what Estes *has* been doing up to this point. You tell them something is missing or broken, or that one of their motors destroyed your rocket, and they replace it. Free of charge.

Usually "proof of purchase" is good enough, but for the one year warranty they are within their rights to request a receipt showing date of purchase. I do find that annoying since most of us treat modrocs and motors as consumable "traffic items" like a candy bar. Do you save receipts for every candy bar you buy? When bought from a vending machine, there is no receipt, yet the manufacturer will honor quality problems with a replacment candy bar (or coupon for free iten at a store).

Maybe you need to get Lazlo Toth to write a letter to Barry?

Or you can call and ask for someone else. Do a web search for famous names at Estes from the past who provided helpful answers or service.

Their newsletter was published recently so there are others there working away.

Christine was still working in Customer Service as of last Tuesday, 11/22/05. She is sending me a replacement wing pivot for my Scissor Wing Transport. I ordered it through their web site and she sent a response the next day. Beats trying to get through to her on the phone.

I sent an email through the website a couple of months ago about missing pages from a Cosmos Mariner instruction set. Waited a few weeks... nothing except for the automated "we received your email" response.

finally called, spoke to Christine, got the instructions within a week.

I think their email system is hit-or-miss.

Last week was Thanksgiving, some people take more than the standard two or three days off.

The reciept problem, not too much of a big deal.

The big problem was, who was I talking to?

The email was unsigned. Do I send them to Christine? Do I send them to the main address?

For all I know, this was some screwball janitor there who decided to screw around.

~Bob

Never called them before.
Sent an e-mail a couple of days ago requesting info on an OOP.
Hadn't heard back so called them and got Christine.
She answered all my questions, knew of the e-mail and had the info on her desk to send out.
I'm happy.

Greg

Originally posted by pkinzer
Does Christine know how popular she is on TRF?

She does now.

I just had a nice 15 minute conversation with her. Its one of those "make your day' calls.

We talked about the problem I had and how it happened, and she's sending out replacements today.

She was in shipping the past few days becuase of the huge Wal-Mart orders they had to fill. They're getting absolutely crushed by it.

She is quite humbled by what everyone has said about her here, and attributes it to the person who trained her, Mary.

~Bob

Originally posted by Garnaralf
She does now.
She is quite humbled by what everyone has said about her here, and attributes it to the person who trained her, Mary.
Yeah, Mary was quite good, too.

I got an e-mail from her today in response to an issue I had with an early (i.e. immediate) ejection charge in an E9-4 that killed my Mean Machine-based Thunder Roc clone. She definitely has a good grasp of the hobby and responds to customers quickly.

:eek: Ouch, that looks painful. You should really post some kind of warning on pictures like that, so that sensitive viewers can avert their gaze.

:eek: Ouch, that looks painful. You should really post some kind of warning on pictures like that, so that sensitive viewers can avert their gaze.

I would, but I felt that this was important enough that the shock value be kept intact. Incidents like this MUST be stopped! :D ;)
Sorry. I thought the caption would be enough. ;)

Originally posted by Fishhead
I got an e-mail from her today in response to an issue I had with an early (i.e. immediate) ejection charge in an E9-4 that killed my Mean Machine-based Thunder Roc clone....snip

That's not a zipper.
That's a zzzzzziiiiiippppppppppppeeeeeerrrrrr.

:)

Greg

You're not going to believe this!!!

Remember a few days ago, I started this thread after having some problems with Estes' customer service (due to Christine being gone)?

If you remember right, my Maxi Alpha 3 kit was missing a BT-80 coupler. So I've called them twice now, to the gentlemen, giving him the part number and narrative description. Well today I received my "replacement" part . . . it came as a complete E2X Alpha III kit. Arrrrggghhh!

So I swallowed my pride and went out and bought a coupler . . . Estes will still get a phone call and e-mail, just to let them know how wrong this whole experience has been . . .

SO PLEASE RETURN CHRISTINE BACK TO CUSTOMER SERVICE - SOON!!!

Speaking of which . . . does anyone have Christine's e-mail address? It'd be nice to, personally, pass on the gratitude for her day-to-day assistance.

Christine is back in Customer Service now. And she told me phone calls are much easier.

~Bob

When a B motor cato'd my Deuces wild, I sent them an email with pics , along with my address and ph number.. the next day Christene called ME ! she said replacement motors were on the way and to pick out a reasonable replacement kit from the Estes catalog. So I asked her for a Big Daddy
they sent that along with some D motors to fly it two weeks later!

Many thanks to Estes and Christene !

Back