What to bring to a launch...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewomack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for all of the newbie questions recently, but someone recently told me that "the only stupid question is the one never asked," so I figured that I had better keep asking.

I'm planning on attending a launch next week and for the first time I'm a member of the organization and I'm bringing a rocket to (hopefully) fly. Apart from the rocket, engines and recovery wadding, I'm assuming that I'll also need to bring my own igniters and plugs? Am I forgetting anything else? I'm hoping to keep from finding out before it's too late, but the event also has a vendor on site, possible for this very reason. :D

Thanks for everyone's help so far! This has been a very responsive and helpful forum!

Sorry for all of the newbie questions recently, but someone recently told me that "the only stupid question is the one never asked," so I figured that I had better keep asking.

I'm planning on attending a launch next week and for the first time I'm a member of the organization and I'm bringing a rocket to (hopefully) fly. Apart from the rocket, engines and recovery wadding, I'm assuming that I'll also need to bring my own igniters and plugs? Am I forgetting anything else? I'm hoping to keep from finding out before it's too late, but the event also has a vendor on site, possible for this very reason. :D

Thanks for everyone's help so far! This has been a very responsive and helpful forum!
Hi
Bring what ever you think you will need. One thing about this hobby is if you forget something many flyers will help you out. Rocketry people are very nice and helpful people.

There are many older threads about what folks carry in their range boxes, although that's only a subset of what you bring.

By my count, there are four general categories of stuff:
1) Supplies for flying rockets, e.g.: rockets (!), motors, igniters, wadding, etc.
2) Tools and helpful items for assisting in said activity, e.g.: pliers, a wire hanger, waxed paper (for slicking up launch rods), paper towels, garbage bags, etc.
3) Materials for some basic repairs, e.g.: medium CA, replacement shock cord and/or parachutes, maybe 5 minute epoxy, that sort of thing.
4) Personal care and comfort items: chairs, canopy, food, drink, suntan lotion, etc.

Attend a few launches and you'll figure out what you need for sure.

I would add a rubbish bin to the load. Great for putting the rubbish in without it blowing around the paddock like a bag would.

Disposable gloves save having to wash hands in the field when there is usually a shortage of water and/or soap.

A roll of toilet paper has many uses.

If you have any grass allergies take some antihistamines along for the ride.

Decent shoes for recovery, especially when snakes are around also.

Tube stuffer

Especially if you fly the same rocket twice makes loading shock cord and wadding easy in the field.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/your-favorite-rocketry-tool.44759/

Zip lock bag. Tip: for black powder engines, take them out of the rocket right after the flight (careful, they may be hot) and put them in a ziplock bag. If you leave them in the rocket they stink up your car on the way home.

Bring everything you would need if you were launching by yourself, minus the launch pad, launch controller, and launch rods/rails.

Car windshield shade if it is a hot day.

Park facing West if you are leaving late afternoon, or south (if you are in Northern Hemisphere) if leaving early afternoon.

A can do attitude; such as "I am new, what can I do to help?" Most of the work is done by the same people every time, so an offer to help set up, tear down, or anything in between will be greatly appreciated.

You'll find that the longer you stay in rocketry, the more stuff you end up bringing. Once upon a time many years ago I'd bring a small tool box with everything I needed, and a couple of Estes rockets. Now that I primarily fly HPR, I fill up a pickup truck, including the extended cab... and an ATV for recovery. Plus camping gear, and all the stuff that goes along with it. Haven't got an RV yet... but you'll see plenty of them at an HPR launch.

One of these days, I'll fill up the truck, head out to a launch site... and realize that I left the rockets at home. :)

I’d also reach out to the club and ask if cars can drive up to the launch site or if you have to park in a lot and haul all of your gear to the site. I launch regularly with two different clubs in NJ and each is different. One launches on a farm and we can drive up and park on the grass field. Everyone sort of “tailgates.” The other club we use a high school sports facility, so we park in the lot and typically have to lug the gear across the field. Once in a while we get lucky and can launch from right beside the parking lot if the winds are ok.

Anyway, if the club your going to is similar to the second one I discussed, having a wagon to help schlep gear across the field is a good idea!

Bug repellent, especially one that works well on ticks, which you may encounter if you go into tall grass. Lyme disease is no joke, or one of the other diseases you can catch from a tick can be pretty bad as well (been there, done that, totally life-changing experience). :(

I bring some chairs with sunshades, a cooler with ice and cold drinks, sunscreen, and some munchies for snacks. Wet-wipes are REALLY handy, especially after working on a smoky/sooty rocket.

I have a small fishing tackle box that does the job so far.

Masking Tape 1/2", 3/4", 1" For all kinds of stuff,
1. Thrust rings - in case you have motors of different lengths.
2. To wrap around Estes motor hooks (Yes they don't always hold the motor in at ejection)
3. To hold your igniter. ooooops Initiator...stupid BATF
4. To hold your igniter to the side of the rocket until you get to the pad since you are not supposed to install it until the rocket is on the pad for High Power...
5. To attach your nifty little key-fob Camera.
6. To adjust the fit of your nose cone/payload section for proper friction.
.....and theeeeeeennnnn, the list goes on!

I'm planning on attending a launch next week and for the first time I'm a member of the organization and I'm bringing a rocket to (hopefully) fly.

It does not matter what you bring. There will always be one thing that makes you say "Darn, if I only had..."

Back