What tax software do you use? I am switching next year

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
I have used TurboTax for a long time, but they dumbed it down so much I made a big mistake this year. I just amended my return, so no big deal other than more time clicking on seven hundred boxes to say no that is not relevant.

It used to do a good job and pull all the info from the 2 or 3 websites with my info, but now you have to verify EVERYTHING and I got click fatigue and forgot to verify something.

I have used Turbo Tax for many years and I have been happy with the results. It worked fine for me again this year. After being helped several times by Turbo Tax consultants with answering the IRS, I now gladly pay the optional consulting protection fee in case there is an IRS inquiry. Your mileage may vary. I have heard other people complain about Turbo Tax.

There were some retroactive changes to tax credits for electric vehicle charging stations installed in a residence one year that made past year expenses eligible for that year which was already filed. The software updates for prior year amended returns took a long time before they were released, they were busy enough getting the updates released for that current tax year, so I just did the amended return and attached the other supporting forms by hand, I did not want to wait for the software updates to file for the refund. I think you have to print and mail the forms anyway, the software and/or the IRS does not allow you to e-file an amended return.

Last edited:
I think they're all dumbed down if you use the "guide me" mode, if you have anything other than W2 income it's better to go into the details. Even then, sometimes they do screwy things... I have an open issue with the IRS over one of them, and for a change (not to my benefit, of course...) it actually looks like the IRS is right.

HR Block Deluxe plus State. I have used it forever and comfortable with it.

What it can't do automatically are K-1 forms, which are a royal pain. I tried TurboTax one year hoping for better support of K1 forms, and it wasn't much better. TurboTax was noticeably more expensive too, iirc.

I use Free Tax USA for the last few years. For Fed it is free. It remembers your info from the previous year which makes doing the next year easier. I had a small side business that this covered the business income/expenses stuff. (Schedules 1, 2, 3, C, SE, & form 8995)
I did sign up for their "premium" which provides IRS support and potential free amended returns for only $6.00
However, they do charge $14 or 15 for the state.
I had a small side business that this covered the business income/expenses.

I previously used Tax Slayer and Tax Act. I either got frustrated with them or they raised the price.
I do have an issue that I essentially have to pay a "tax" (buy the SW) so I can pay my taxes..........

I have a CPA that’s done ours for several years. His professional strength software tracks things year over year that would not be comprehensible if I tried doing my own. It costs a bit more, but I sleep well knowing that someone smarter than me is keeping me out of IRS trouble.

I / we use 'U-file. but it's Canadian, so its really a moot point! (Upping my post count! :D )

But I have long felt that taxes have been created in such a way as to be as confusing as possible for the average middle income person / family. Taxes, and money matters should be a course in late high school or in early college.. I feel a lot of have 'learnt the hard way' in our first few years as being an adult..

HR Block Deluxe plus State. I have used it forever and comfortable with it.

What it can't do automatically are K-1 forms, which are a royal pain. I tried TurboTax one year hoping for better support of K1 forms, and it wasn't much better. TurboTax was noticeably more expensive too, iirc.
I use H&R Block deluxe as well, without State because GA tax forms are easy. I don’t have to worry about Schedule K, though. I find the H&R Block software to be pretty easy to use, and it lets me run through a couple different scenarios (itemizing vs. standard, married filing jointly vs separately, etc.). Plus I think it was only $40 or so.

I have capital gains, dividends, charitable donations, etc. Too complex to get it done for free through Turbo Tax. I haven't done a K-1 in a long time. They didn't have software when I did them. Massive pain.

Turbo makes me input the state info and then I can delete it. I get the final tax number and delete the state info from Turbo Tax and do that through the state tax site making sure I get the same result.

Highly recommend Studio Tax. You enter all your details using the "wizard" so it's as simple as TurboTax, but then it fills your actual tax form and lets you see everything, edit data to see effect, etc.

I'm Canadian, so not sure if they have an American version, but if they do this is what you want!

I had switched from TaxAct to TurboTax a few years back, no plans to make another change at this time.
TurboTax works great for multi-state tax filings on top of federal (used to be 3 states, now down to 2).

None. Unless you have complicated taxes because you deal in real estate or own your own business or some such, those softwares are a rip-off in both money and time. I once tried filling out a 1040 on my own vs using turbotax, and it took me less time to fill out the form on my own because it didn't keep shoving irrelevant issues in my face to click past.

If all you have is income from a W-2, you're better off filling out a 1040 on your own. It isn't hard at all.

Back