What should I make with these tubes???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mosquito is a very stable design (no real surprise with those massive rear swept fins)... No need for nose weight for my as-built model and should be able to launch on C5-3, D12-5, E12-6.

1652017432935.png

What do you think of a recycled chute for a recycled tube rocket? Seems these re-useable bags that are now required in NJ make great chutes (although I have not tested them).

1652017529312.jpeg

That is uber-cool, how did you make the nose cone? Can you show the internal OR view for me?

Thanks - OR does not really simulate it very well but this is a 3D design that I created in TinkerCad (lots of different versions but I think this is the newest one). Basically very minimalistic frame holding a buffer tube with the parachute in nosecone outside buffer tube. I angled the internal fins but not sure if GDS will work with this (and if the air getting sucked in with make this rotate to improve stability).

1652020492008.png

With the whiskey tube (and several more just like it...)

1652022126810.png

Perhaps with a plastic "martini glass" nosecone.

Remember to go out to the field with a flask that you take several swigs from. Then say "You sinki I'm gonna fly zith thingssober? Ha!! Here... Hold my beer" while you stagger to the pad.

Last edited:
Thanks - OR does not really simulate it very well but this is a 3D design that I created in TinkerCad (lots of different versions but I think this is the newest one). Basically very minimalistic frame holding a buffer tube with the parachute in nosecone outside buffer tube. I angled the internal fins but not sure if GDS will work with this (and if the air getting sucked in with make this rotate to improve stability).

View attachment 517622
Thanks, let me know if your successfully launch it. So this is something I could get someone local to print off the parts on a 3D printer for me? I really love this one.:clapping:

With the whiskey tube (and several more just like it...)

View attachment 517623

Perhaps with a plastic "martini glass" nosecone.

Remember to go out to the field with a flask that you take several swigs from. Then say "You sinki I'm gonna fly zith thingssober? Ha!!" while you stagger to the pad.

Haha... that is a good one... Someone else posted the Wil-E Coyote Rocket which has a similar nose cone and was a possibility...

1652023395020.png

Here is my latest random tube selection... These are all heavy wall but would still like to do something with them. #1 to #4 are shipping tubes (37" x 2"; 25.5" x 2"; 19" x 3"; 18" x 2.5"), not sure what #5 & #6 tubes are (both 11" x 3"), finally have a bunch of large ice tea and other food canisters (4-5x larger canisters up to 9" x 5"). Hope I can get the tape off the shipping tubes.

Still looking for suggestions for these tubes!!! ;)

1652030259542.jpeg

So I did a test of printing a flat set of details that would wrap around the body tube (this was for my Little Joe II).. This can definitely be an approach to this type of ribbing although I would likely make the details smaller in the future (for example on the Ariane 1).

1652127577779.jpeg 1652127589884.jpeg

One issue I realized is the weight of the details + carboard tube is more than if I 3D printed the whole section: 116g (tube + 3D printed parts) vs. 89g (fully 3D printed section w/ .8mm outer shell - Prusa Slicer Estimate) + maybe 15g for shorter tube section.

That's only a 12 gram difference; 11.5% more mass is nothing to sneeze at, but this isn't the whole rocket, so the real percent increase is smaller. The difference might be amplified if you need nose weight. What other pros and cons are there to the two methods?

Ok, so I gave up on the wrap for the Little Joe II -- it would likely work but needs to be smaller / thinner. Anyway, I did wind up making two different Little Joe IIs... One with the recycled tube and one that is mostly 3D printed with a small portion of BT-80 tube. I found designs online but they were a bit rough so I redesigned the model from scratch. The top model has the original nose cone I found online (although fin elements are my redesigns) and the bottom one is my fully redesigned model. The next version has some more detail on the body and built in launch lugs.

1653502393651.jpeg

I did these with a 24mm mount in the BT-80 version and a cluster (6x 18mm + 1x 25mm) mount in the larger one. Currently setup so that the 24mm feeds into a buffer tube (can use either D or E engine) and can handle ejection while the others would be setup like boosters. Was thinking of modeling this with either an E12-6 or a D12-5 + 3x C6-0s (leave 3x open for ejection exhaust).

1653502446269.jpeg

I modeled the BT-80 version in Open Rocket and it seems like it will fly well with both D12-5 and C5-3 (not too high). I also did a swing test with this model since it was marginally stable. It swung really stable so I guess that there was enough base drag. I have not modeled the larger tube version.

1653502785100.png

I am getting more and more tubes -- my local "Buy Nothing" group has a bunch of people looking for them for me (I think they really like that I post pictures of the rockets that I make with the tubes)...

Anyway, this puts the pressure on to make more rockets will all these tubes. Latest two I received are 3.25" x 41.25" -- too heavy wall for launching but might make some impressive static models.

I wish there was a list published somewhere with the ratios of rocket airframes / bodies. I know that data is ridiculously niche / specific but it would let me more easily match up tubes to potential prototypes. ;)

Anyway, this puts the pressure on to make more rockets will all these tubes. Latest two I received are 3.25" x 41.25" -- too heavy wall for launching...
What do you mean "too heavy"? 3.25" is 82.55 mm, so it'd be easy to put a 75 mm motor mount in there, and I'm pretty darn sure there are 38 and 54 mm motors that would easily do the trick.
I wish there was a list published somewhere with the ratios of rocket airframes / bodies. I know that data is ridiculously niche / specific but it would let me more easily match up tubes to potential prototypes. ;)
Peter Alway's (@PeterAlway) books and supplements. Sadly, the original Rockets of the World is out of print, and will set you back hundreds if you find a copy, but there are other books and supplements that are affordable. (Well, I don't really know about the other books, but I know the supplements are reasonable.) There isn't a table of L:W numbers, so you'd have to spend hours browsing through pictures of rockets. :(;)

Mr. Alway is a member here, but I don't know how often he comes around.

What do you mean "too heavy"? 3.25" is 82.55 mm, so it'd be easy to put a 75 mm motor mount in there, and I'm pretty darn sure there are 38 and 54 mm motors that would easily do the trick.

Peter Alway's (@PeterAlway) books and supplements. Sadly, the original Rockets of the World is out of print, and will set you back hundreds if you find a copy, but there are other books and supplements that are affordable. (Well, I don't really know about the other books, but I know the supplements are reasonable.) There isn't a table of L:W numbers, so you'd have to spend hours browsing through pictures of rockets. :(;)

Mr. Alway is a member here, but I don't know how often he comes around.

Haha - yeah, by "too heavy" I actually meant "not worth it" -- lighter and equally as strong tubes can be had out there and if I was going to step up to high-power I would not bother with a tube I got out of the garbage.

Actually the more I think about it the more I think that a L:W ratio table would be useful. Can show how stock tubes would match up and how long they would need to be. In rockets with multiple airframes (tube like components) the relative ratios can show how various tube pairs would match up with the stock rockets. This would need to be a labor of love..

So I think one of the 4C Ice Tea containers is going to become a 1:1 scale Northrop Grumman M1147 Advanced Multi Purpose (AMP) 120mm Tank round (it will actually be 129mm so a bit bigger than the real deal). Will get a BT-60 tube for the rear stem portion. Here is the mock-up next to the BT-80 version I just made. I guess this might force me to move up to a 29mm engine although the simulation unexpectedly says that an E12-4 can launch it (weight might be underestimated by OR)...

1658701743349.png

Back