What should I make with these tubes???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any thoughts / creative ideas about a Rocket I can make with these tubes?

Whiskey tube is 3 3/8" x 13 5/8" (heavy duty tube) and Ice Tea canister is 5" x 8 1/4". I have a couple of the ice tea tubes and have used them to make ring tails in the past but wondering if there is something different I could do. I was able to peal the label off the Whiskey tube (I think I took off the top layer of tube paper but it came off pretty cleanly so a coat of primer and bit of sanding to et rid of some hairs and should be good to go).

1644286882980.png 1644286938164.png

Was originally thinking of making a Big Daddy knock-off with the whiskey tube but realized this tube is a bit larger than 3" and I already cut my fins to fit between 3" tube and BT50 motor mount tube.

"Whiskey A Go Go"

About 25 min in. Looks like you do anything you want with those tubes! :headspinning: Hopefully yours won't burn up!

Wow -- yeah, 25:45 in... that was a wild blow torch... (couple of other pretty interesting launches also -- the leap frogging glider rocket was pretty good). The mega Mosquito was a good launch (although that little hop made me think it was gonna blow! Maybe I can make a Mega Mosquito ;) (I also only have the 1 tube, I guess I do not drink enough)...

Still ring fins, but not the usual ones

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...n-spirit-of-america-successful-flight.160086/
or jump to post 4 here

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...n-glider-and-new-gyskelion.38883/#post-361995
@grapetang and @rharshberger MoonBug 2 is also amazingly cool use of tubuea

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/moonbug-2-build.148336/
also feel guilty but can’t find the name for someone that did three interlocking rings, ? @boatgeek or @jqavins ?

I think it’s this one

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/project-venn.168935/page-3#post-2233222

Cool thanks so much -- these are some good ideas / inspiration...

What do you guys think of Mega Fat Boy or Mega Mosquitto or Mega Swift (although the fins would wind up being too large for my 200x300mm stock if scaled up to this body tube size)???

also feel guilty but can’t find the name for someone that did three interlocking rings, ? @boatgeek or @jqavins ?

I think it’s this one

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/project-venn.168935/page-3#post-2233222
Yeah, that's probably the one you're thinking of; it certainly fits the description. I haven't done anything like that.

I plan to get an iced tea canister, or a bread crumb canister from the same company, and (stop me once you see where I'm going)
  • Use it for a fin can
  • Leave the label on
  • It's for a cluster
  • A four engine cluster
  • 4×18 mm
  • E equivalent total impulse
  • Do I really have to spell out the whole thing?

Thinking about doing one two-stage ring tail rocket... Which design do you guys like better? BT-60 w/ 4C canister ring tail...

I agree with the one where the rear ring fins do a forward sweep.

Between those two I like the one on the left better.

I was just fiddling in a similar category, except with the rings concentric rather than stacked front-to-back:

I would honestly not have thought to do this, it looks super cool. You could probably get away with super small rings with this method if you wanted to.

I think this makes it unanimous for the one on the left. It resembles the Estes Solar Flare, and I love the Solar Flare. And construction will be simpler without the ring splitting in half. I do not consider a resemblance to a really great looking design to be a draw-back. Change it enough to make yourself happy, and then what you've done is add to "the family". I gave Neil the same response to his half-baked idea. There's nothing wrong with having a family, be it of two, three, or four (now I've suddenly developed an idea for another family member...)
1645563090603.png

I think this makes it unanimous for the one on the left. It resembles the Estes Solar Flare, and I love the Solar Flare. And construction will be simpler without the ring splitting in half. I do not consider a resemblance to a really great looking design to be a draw-back. Change it enough to make yourself happy, and then what you've done is add to "the family". I gave Neil the same response to his half-baked idea. There's nothing wrong with having a family, be it of two, three, or four (now I've suddenly developed an idea for another family member...)
View attachment 505874

Yeah, I more or less liked that one also so glad it was pretty unanimous. I was contemplating doing a Honest John style nose cone or something... want to balance out the front with the rear some or something... The simple nose cone I mocked up in the original design was too simple for my taste...

Slightly upscaled Big Daddy coming to use that whiskey bottle sleeve tube (8.5cm OD). The label peeled off pretty easily but left the surface a bit rough (took a layer of cardboard with it). Need to prime it once and sand it -- I think I can get it smooth. Big Bertha for size comparison.

1650502110830.jpeg

I decided (due to my cheap motor budget) to make this with a 24mm mount. Put a short 24mm tube w/ a couple of 2mm plywood centering rings notched to fit on fit slots w/ a very simple 3D printed retainer. Whole thing winds up being quite light - 260g with CG at 32cm (with heavy Estes Nylon chute but no engine). I do not think I need any nose weight (praying to the gods of short stubby rockets - I also recessed the motor 1.5cm or so).

1650501943265.png

Any thoughts / creative ideas about a Rocket I can make with these tubes?

Whiskey tube is 3 3/8" x 13 5/8" (heavy duty tube) and Ice Tea canister is 5" x 8 1/4". I have a couple of the ice tea tubes and have used them to make ring tails in the past but wondering if there is something different I could do. I was able to peal the label off the Whiskey tube (I think I took off the top layer of tube paper but it came off pretty cleanly so a coat of primer and bit of sanding to et rid of some hairs and should be good to go).

View attachment 503592 View attachment 503593

Was originally thinking of making a Big Daddy knock-off with the whiskey tube but realized this tube is a bit larger than 3" and I already cut my fins to fit between 3" tube and BT50 motor mount tube.
Build the MMT with side rails to hold the fin tabs. Make them tall enough to account for the difference in tube diameter (and you could add a base between them to shim it to the tab length). When you install the fins, fill the fin slot with epoxy and insert. Rock solid. It's how I do all of my TTW fins anymore.

I am now posting in my local "Buy Nothing" group to try to get more alcohol tubes - Someone offered a 19" x 3" (if it was exactly 3" might let me turn my Der Big Red Max into a 3" Citation Patriot).

Slightly upscaled Big Daddy coming to use that whiskey bottle sleeve tube (8.5cm OD). The label peeled off pretty easily but left the surface a bit rough (took a layer of cardboard with it). Need to prime it once and sand it -- I think I can get it smooth. Big Bertha for size comparison.

View attachment 515178

I decided (due to my cheap motor budget) to make this with a 24mm mount. Put a short 24mm tube w/ a couple of 2mm plywood centering rings notched to fit on fit slots w/ a very simple 3D printed retainer. Whole thing winds up being quite light - 260g with CG at 32cm (with heavy Estes Nylon chute but no engine). I do not think I need any nose weight (praying to the gods of short stubby rockets - I also recessed the motor 1.5cm or so).

.View attachment 515177

The kicker (pun intended) is getting the motor to boot off the nose cone and get the laundry in the air. That's a large recovery bay volume compared to the motor size. A stuffer tube would help your chances of avoiding a lawn dart.​

How are the Staples shipping tubes as airframes?
Heavy....

Let's use a 3" dia. for example:
A typical airframe tube, like a C-300, is 0.035 wall th.​
A 3" shipping tube is twice that thick @ 0.07" and it's not a glassine finish, which means more work to get a smooth finish. Similar to using coupler stock.​

Last edited:
Those sound like good points, and they have a common solution: more power (uh, uh, uh).

If one is making a rocket with a heavy wall cardboard tube, it's stronger than the regular tubes as well as heavier. Might as well put in a 29 or 38 mm MMT for mid- or high-power motors, which tend to have heftier ejection charges as well.

Water under the bridge for the two BigER Daddies (or Granddaddies, or Mac Daddies, whatever) above.

I used a 29mm motor tube for my Cesaroni hardware! What's the saying about cubic inches? LOL!
Apogee's 4" airframe tube set is 0.09

Last edited:
Back