What rocket is this and where can I get a kit/plans?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't help you with the picture but FlisKits made this rocket just before he sold the business.
The new owners haven't made this rocket available yet. Maybe they will sometime in the future.TIBERIUS-FR017-1.jpg

I recall the Vatsaas Brothers built a similar one using a tapered drink cup for the body, a plastic wine glass for the nosecone, and the little throw-away insert from an Old Spice Deodorant stick for the cockpit...
Maybe a picture in their online archives?

The person is Ted Cochran, who preceded John Hochheimer as NAR President.
If you need contact info, send me a PM.

That model is now on display at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

I was there in June-ish 2019 and was thrilled to see such a good display showing model rockets. A few people stopped to look at it, but were drawn to other exhibits in the area fairly often.

Is there any background to share on how this exhibit got placed, who curated it etc?

Sandy.

I've got a few of Pem-Tech's kits - here is my Little Bucky Jones. I modified the fin placement so it could stand on all three fins - if I ever get the (BIG) Bucky Jones, I'll stick to the plans. I also added E12 MTM capability. I'm not quite finished - I have some decals I've printed I'm thinking of placing somewhere on the side of the ship. Then a coat or two of gloss.

I had an idea to try and put a "Marvin" (the Martian) head where the canopy goes, but that may throw off CP - not sure how/if that would even work; or maybe a "detachable" Marvin head for flight(?) With the typical moon rocket paint scheme (silver body, red fins, etc.).

BUT - I guess I never did notice that he had a TRF "LOGO" rocket in his catalog. NICE! I just ordered!

Attachments

• LBJ1.jpg
    LBJ1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 19
Is there any background to share on how this exhibit got placed, who curated it etc?

The display was created by MOF staff, but the NAR, as part of its partnership with MOF, collected the models at NARAM. Originally, it was planned to take only 10 or 12 models, but when so many good ones showed up, they used all of them.

That picture was taken in 2015 at the May launch for MASA (Minnesota Amateur Spacemodeler Association) I believe the guy in the picture Ted Cochran. Several of the MASA club members did a slew of Steam Punk style rockets over the years. Perhaps you can contact one of the club members to find out more.

…and if there are plans or even a kit to make this rocket?

Sorry I’m late. Thanks for your interest. The rocket pictured is Nautilus, a successor to Nemo, which Is the rocket hanging in the Museum of Flight. There is a thread here that describes Barbicane, which is the latest in this series, and a bit more, um, elaborate, but the basic construction is the same: centering rings to shape the hull, stringers, panels, lots of fun detail after that. Late in that thread there is a pictoral sequence showing how Nemo was built. Hope that helps!

Sorry I’m late. Thanks for your interest. The rocket pictured is Nautilus, a successor to Nemo, which Is the rocket hanging in the Museum of Flight. There is a thread here that describes Barbicane, which is the latest in this series, and a bit more, um, elaborate, but the basic construction is the same: centering rings to shape the hull, stringers, panels, lots of fun detail after that. Late in that thread there is a pictoral sequence showing how Nemo was built. Hope that helps!

Not a problem, thanks for the response. After digging (and digging) and finding other threads, I got quite a bit of info from those posts and other users here on TRF! (Thanks guys!) Very nice, very steampunky, and very challenging to say the least. I may become brave enough soon to attempt one of those plans (Nemo and Nautilus). Beautiful work!!! I love the old 40's, 50's and 60's scifi rocketships and moon rockets designs and style. Takes me back to childhood and remembering seeing the old Saturday afternoon sci-fi's that Mom used to watch and laying in the floor in front of the television, being in awe at the amazing rockets and spaceships and technology. Very cool stuff!! Thanks again for sharing! 👍

Latest posts

Back