What new things does the hobby want to see?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mandatory Rocket Classes in Junior High School science programs.

In 6th grade, we had an optional summer school class where you built and launched rockets. In 8th grade science class, everyone had to pick a rocket kit, build it, and then we all launched them. Also in 8th grade shop class, we built CO2 powered race cars out of a block of basswood.

Mandatory Rocket Classes in Junior High School science programs.

Junior High had me build a wooden car for an Estes motor and solve physics problems, many of which could apply to rocketry. Senior High had me do chemistry and more physics. Then with my first summer job pay check I jumped out of an airplane. Wasn’t I the lucky one 😁

I would like to see low power motors have options of colored flame

Also would like to see more public land available for rocketry
Yes, you really must live in CA….you have to find some BLM land and then go far far away where no one can see….as they even make you jump through hoops in BLM land in CAlifornia. This state is not rocketry friendly by any means….and the clubs here usually launch on not the best circumstances (parking lots, near water, etc.) so many homes and power lines …. And the Fire Marshall’s here freak out because of all the fire danger here ….everything is on fire in CA…I know, gripe, gripe, gripe….but you all don’t know how lucky you have it where it’s green (wet), open, or desert.

I've noticed that some companies pull you in with low prices then charge you a arm and a leg for postage.....I know how much things cost to ship because I've been selling and buying on ebay for 25 years. A $10 rocket costs $15 for shipping? Really? I know margins are short, but please....it feels like a bait and switch. I can see where really large rockets would require more shipping....
Ya, we used to call them “Sqeakers”. Because they would squeak out every penny from you on shipping. eBay was full of them selling stuff cheap and then making the real money by upscaling the shipping. It was ridicules.

Long burning low power. Say 10 seconds "C" impulse.

There are C2 and D3 available from Klima in Germany/Europe. They only come in -0 or -P delays, but they are perfect for sustainer stages, or ramjet imitation, or thrust-vector control applications, and very affordable at ca. €3.50 a pop (or rather "swish") for the D3 ... I'm not sure what it would take to make them available here in the US, or if Robert Klima is even interested.

A CFD flight sim that handles arbitrary shapes and inputs the design from standard CAD file formats and can work as a plug-in with OnShape, SolidWorks, etc.

I'm not sure I'd go for full-fledged CFD (with a finite volume mesh around the body), but rather with a 3D panel code which could get decent results for low-speed (non-compressible, i.e. below Mach 0.3). Reliable results for non-symmetric shapes would be really helpful. Maybe someday.

Oliver

i've been kicking around the idea of buying a laser cutter and offering a service where you pay $x and get 12x12" of wood area to cut whatever you want ( plus a handful of thickness options). You'd upload an image file, the laser cutter cuts out what's on your file, i sweep everything (including any scraps) into a padded envelope and send it to you.

you get 12x12 to work with, so taht could be fins and a bunch of centering rings all in one go. Or maybe bulkheads and centering rings, whatever you can fit in 12x12 inches for one price. For larger things i could probably make like a 12"x20" option depending on the laser and wood options.

i've been kicking around the idea of buying a laser cutter and offering a service where you pay $x and get 12x12" of wood area to cut whatever you want ( plus a handful of thickness options). You'd upload an image file, the laser cutter cuts out what's on your file, i sweep everything (including any scraps) into a padded envelope and send it to you.

you get 12x12 to work with, so taht could be fins and a bunch of centering rings all in one go. Or maybe bulkheads and centering rings, whatever you can fit in 12x12 inches for one price. For larger things i could probably make like a 12"x20" option depending on the laser and wood options.

I'd be interested...depending. How much, how long, what files accepted, will you do design from sketch, etc.

I don't mean any of that as a negative, but it's details you'll need to work out, along with how you're going to get paid.

I have a rocketry specific inventory smartphone app idea that I’d love to get made. But I don’t have the funds to have it done or knowledge to do it myself. I’d really love to have a way to track all my rocketry things in one place. Excel works but it’s just not very elegant.

These guys made something like this that has been fairly widely adopted in the N-scale train hobby. Great place to find pictures of older models etc... Wonder if this would work for rocketry -- https://www.trovestar.com/

OOPS -- just realized I replied to a very old reply to this thread... I will leave it here anyway in case it is useful to anyone...

Two things:
  1. Already mentioned separately, but I'm going to link them: a small-form-factor Chute release with integrated altimeter. In smaller rockets it can be some combination of difficult, inconvenient, or undesirable to try to squeeze in on-board electronics. A small form factor JLCR (fits BT55) would be great, but if I'm going to take advantage of the JLCR to fly higher, I'm also going to want an altimeter.

Eggfinder Mini takes care of the altimeter duties. But a JLCR that works in a 29mm tube would be most excellent.

Latest posts

Back