what more can you say ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But,..........World War 1 Marine General Smedley Butler came back from the war and wrote a book called "War is a Racket", in which he described that the only people who won in the war were the corporations who made all the material goods for the war and he ended up in the book having only two major points:
1. We should never go beyond 500 miles outside of our borders. What happens beyond that point is not our business. And most of the wars have been fought for centuries, Most are religious in nature and we need to stay away from it. Sending our young people across the other side of the planet is ridiculous in his words.
2. If we think we need to be involved in something beyond that 500 mile limit, then all of the politicians on Capitol Hill will agree to send their immediate family members to the front lines. No exceptions.
These two things would have prevented 99.99% of all of our service members from dying In the past 100 years.

As Einstein said, "Everyone simply needs to refuse to participate".

Well he'd need to better specify "our borders".

I'm pretty sure that we can call the entire Caribbean ours, in a way. I'm sure there's a few Pacific islands that we love to call vacation homes, as well.

But I agree, our wars during my lifetime, seem to be a racket to make our politicians richer. I chose not to enlist, even when offered E5. Didn't want to be a slave to our crooked politicians. And am miffed that they took that opportunity away.

It's starting to look like the current war, that we're funding, is our own fault.

As a Soldier, I have never hated my enemy, but I do dislike what many of them fight for.

Well said Chuck.

I have never hated any enemy, but a soldier has a job that needs doing.
It's usually not pretty or fun. Thank God we have young men and Women who
step up and volunteer to do the job so that the other 98% can live as they want to
with freedom and not under oppression.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Attributed to George Orwell

WWI was, indeed, a senseless pissing contest between privileged, inbred cousins. But the problem with the 500-mile border is that General Smedley Butler was born in 1881 and the world was a much different, and much, much bigger place then. Even after WWI no one could have imagined the horrors of WWII.

Today an 'enemy' can destroy ones entire country in a matter of minutes from the other side of the planet. Also, with international trade and banking a nations economy can be held hostage or destroyed by a nation on the other side of the planet. Like it or not, today were are all inextricably tied together. Look at how, today, the US & China have - as the Boss would say - "tied faith between our teeth" because of our intertwined economies and antagonistic military stances.

Today, what happens and what people do on the other side of the planet matters.

Back