• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

What is Best Way to Install Pem Nuts in G10 Board?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kids49

Taz
Reaction score
What is the best way to install 4-40 Pem nuts in .062 inch G10 board for electronics mounting? The diam. of the insert part of the pem nut is 0.184 inch. I am pretty sure that I need to drill a 0.166 inch hole, and then press into board. Do I need a punch and anvil? Will a pliers work? If I need a punch and anvil, where would I get one? Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
Drill the appropriate size hole then align the pem nut and pull it thru by tightening the screw.

I use a bench mounted vice or even a bar clamp and squeeze the board and nut together. I find it easier/faster, although the screw method works well also.

I use a bench mounted vice or even a bar clamp and squeeze the board and nut together. I find it easier/faster, although the screw method works well also.

Thanks Chris. I thought of the vice I might try that. I don't have a lot of pem nuts or I would experiment. The screw method seems pretty easy, but the screws I have use a very small allen wrench to drive them. I will give them both a try.

I use ViceGrips. Easy peasy.

All the best, James

I have found that the recommended drill, .166/#19, makes a very tight fit and I have cracked boards, particularly if the mounting hole is close to the edge of the board. I switched to a slightly larger drill, 11/64", and the nuts are still secure but I am no longer cracking boards. To mount the nuts I use the flat jaws on my vise when possible or pliers similar to these: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-swivel-pad-lock-grip-pliers-39534.html

You might find it easier to use a surface mount PEM nut designed for a PCB. At least it has less risk of board damage than a press fit. PEM part number is SMTSO-440-X-ET and are basically designed to be soldered to a pad on the PCB.

You might find it easier to use a surface mount PEM nut designed for a PCB. At least it has less risk of board damage than a press fit. PEM part number is SMTSO-440-X-ET and are basically designed to be soldered to a pad on the PCB.

Does it work on unclad G10?

Ah, the SMT pem do require a pad to solder to. So they may not work for you.

The bench vise method probaly has better control of the pressure, over using pliers. You could also use a c-clamp if the pads on the clamp are big enough. If you try the 4-40 screw method I would suggest puttting a washer on the screw to help spread the loading

Back