What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a wheel alignment on the RAV4, the first of four for the year. Yep, our roads are so bad that local people paint around the potholes so you can see where they are.

Complain to Council and you get told to "Drive to the road conditions". A few hundred of us should block the main roads to the Council building and park our cars on the road. That would be "Driving to conditions".

A friend of our with a towing business snapped an axle on a 5 tonner hitting a pothole that had appeared after light rain. He lay the truck spare tyre into the hole to show how big it was and sent a photo to council. No response.

Rant over! Back to your usual programming...
One guy helped to solve pothole problems in his town by painting d**k outlines around the potholes. Lots of complaints from outraged locals. The city realized they couldn't send a guy just to remove the paint, he'd have to fix the pothole too or there'd be more outrage. Just obey the 11th Commandment and don't get caught.

Best -- Terry

One guy helped to solve pothole problems in his town by painting d**k outlines around the potholes. Lots of complaints from outraged locals. The city realized they couldn't send a guy just to remove the paint, he'd have to fix the pothole too or there'd be more outrage.
Genius.

Did this mean that sometimes extensive revisions are needed, and that at other times 25% new or revised problems are sufficient to get over the bar, or did you mean that a new edition must have both? On first reading I took it as the former.

I'm glad you don't condone making new editions just for changing a few commas, yet. I must say, though, that altering 25% of the problems is no better, in some cases at least. I don't know what specific topics your books cover or at what level, but consider the following, which could easily be in a Freshman Chem book:
An important reaction in rocket propellants is the following:
NH₄ClO₄ + Al → N₂ + HCl + H₂O + Al₂O₃
a) Balance the above equation.
b) If it is desired to make 1 kg of this mixture, compute the masses of the reactants.

Now, one might change this so the student is required to find the reactant masses for 2 kg of mixture, and call it a revised problem. Or pick some other, similarly simple reaction for the same exercise. If one can do that to 25% of the end of chapter problems and call it a new edition of the book, that's really no better than diddling the commas.
Actually a simple change similar to that (that change would likely be a bit too simple) is sufficient for some problems. Change amounts, the reaction itself, some of the wording. From reviews, the biggest thing for the advocates of changing most/all of the problems is to minimize past students' answers being passed around; the problems "get stale" as the senior editor told me.

My publisher always requires serious revisions that are sufficient to justify a new edition. Sometimes it's in the form of presenting material in a new light; on the first book I worked on, macro-micro figures were introduced, showing an object or reaction and showing an atomic-level view of what's going on.

The 15th (latest) ed of Chemistry for Changing Times involved more work than any edition I've worked on. Literally half the chapters were reorganized. A couple of chapters were split, where each part was incorporated into a different chapter. Keeping an eye on cross-references, i.e., "what was covered and when," and dealing with new problems due to the reorganization, generated more work than any previous text I've worked on. It's embarrassing to have a problem in Chapter 6 that requires knowledge from Chapter 16... :oops:

Best -- Terry

I listened to part of the NTSB hearing regarding the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter, their friends, and the pilot last year. Right now they are discussing recommendations for changes to improve safety after this and similar accidents.

What was the primary reason for the crash?

Human error in bad weather. IIMC to CFIT, Inadvertent Instrument Meteorological Conditions to Controlled Flight Into Terrain.

They got into low clouds/ fog in the mountains. The pilot was IFR rated and the ship itself could be, but the company only sought and received authorization for VFR flights. The pilot was experienced, but as an armchair quarterback, we don't know how much IFR experience he had. The pilot first tried to maintain VFR flight but couldn't then told the tower he was going to call an emergency, go up through the clouds to clear skies and fly somewhere else. That is the right thing to do, but in the clouds, he lost awareness of where he was at and ended up descending and flying into the mountainside.

it was sunny and 65 degrees here today, which is the exact reason why I moved here back in 93. We met our daughter and grandsons for Mexican tonight so it was good to get out and naturally our waiter had his mask below his nose.

So DIY home repairs are basically illegal. Remind me not to move to Quebec. (That's OK, I didn't really want to learn French Quebecois anyway.)

Well, yeah.. And if you think about it, it kinda makes sense.. (to a degree, of course!!) Do you want 'average joe' wiring an outlet? When he uses an old power cord, and just wraps the connections with electrical tape? (And has no clue to copper & aluminum wiring) Or the guy who taps the top of the main drain clean-out plug to drain the washing machine in the basement? Or puts in a long [kitchen] sink drain in with no slope (or negative slope).. Or the guy who renovates his basement with the brad nail gun he got as an X-mas gift ?!

I have come across all of these in my current house..

Or the guy who taps the top of the main drain clean-out plug to drain the washing machine in the basement?

Hey man, back off on the insults! (I did just that for a new bathroom sink drain where there was a very convenient cleanout in cast iron pipe that I really didn't want to disturb. I've only had to cut the sink drain to access the cleanout once in 20 years.)

Is that the RAV4? That could be our next car. Curious to hear what mileage you get in real driving.

It is the Rav4, and I too am curious on actual mileage, though the cold months are always the worse for mpg with a hybrid because you need to run the heater. My brother-in-law had the previous version, and kept meticulous records. He got 34.3, and that version was rated at 34/31. This model is rated at 41/38.

It is the Rav4, and I too am curious on actual mileage, though the cold months are always the worse for mpg with a hybrid because you need to run the heater. My brother-in-law had the previous version, and kept meticulous records. He got 34.3, and that version was rated at 34/31. This model is rated at 41/38.
That's pretty good. My Prius used to drop about 10% in the winter, which really isn't that bad. Dunno if the same ratio would apply to the RAV4.

That's pretty good. My Prius used to drop about 10% in the winter, which really isn't that bad. Dunno if the same ratio would apply to the RAV4.

My Prius did too. From about 48 mpg when the weather was cool-hot to a low of 43 when we had a tank-long stretch of cold days. One feature I appreciate that the Rav4 has that my Prius did not is the ability to run the vehicle in ECO, but run the climate control in normal mode...they are apparently somewhat independant. This will be really nice in summer around here. I don;t know if this is how all the hybrids work now, or if it is a model by model thing. My Prius is a 2010, so the differences may just be the overall evolution of the systems in general.

What Year? Now I'm nervous, I have 150K on a 2012.

Turned out not to be the battery. The Hybrid Inverter Coolant Pump was failing causing the inverter to overheat on hard acceleration...both times it went crazy on me was while hard accelerating on the highway (one from an on-ramp and the other from bottleneck slowdown passing an accident that closed 2 lanes). $500 to diagnose and fix. The original belief it was the battery came from my normal mechanic, who typically does a really good job, but I read on the Prius forum that many mechanics mis-diagnose the hybrid system problems, so if you don't go to a garage that focuses on hybrids you are best to take to the dealer. Glad I did even though I know I got gouged for the pump repair, overall saved me money over replacing the wrong thing. Actually, it won't cost me anything, we are giving it to some friends who desperately need another car for the cost of the repair. An 11 year old, hail-dented Prius with 176k on it is worth more as a running car than it is actually worth. When I bought the Rav4 I asked the salesperson what they would give me for trade, and he got a sick look on his face. I told him I was kidding, and he looked really relieved.

Well, yeah.. And if you think about it, it kinda makes sense.. (to a degree, of course!!) Do you want 'average joe' wiring an outlet? When he uses an old power cord, and just wraps the connections with electrical tape? (And has no clue to copper & aluminum wiring)
I have come across all of these in my current house..
Same experience. I had a house built in 1840.
Prev. owner had flipped it and made a lot of his own repairs.
One I found by accident, was a high-risk fire hazard.
Had an outlet that was intermittent. Went into the attic to check the box connection. While up there noticed copper in the box but recalled seeing aluminum at the outlet (bad all by itself). Ripped it out of the wall from the attic end and to my amazement found the BX had been spliced mid-wall. The splice included the copper to aluminum joint, twisted together and electrical taped! The armor was cut back 8" on each side of the splice. That by itself was a minimal issue in the overall picture.
The oxidized connection is why the outlet would flicker and also why the tape was partially melted!
I called the guy and invited him to come over so I could hit him in the balls.
He declined. I should have called the city toput a stop to any future permits he might try to pull.
I inspected the remainder of the wiring and that was the only case I found but it only needed to be that one, in my daughters bedroom that would have burned the house to the ground.

Same experience. I had a house built in 1840.
Prev. owner had flipped it and made a lot of his own repairs.
One I found by accident, was a high-risk fire hazard.
Had an outlet that was intermittent. Went into the attic to check the box connection. While up there noticed copper in the box but recalled seeing aluminum at the outlet (bad all by itself). Ripped it out of the wall from the attic end and to my amazement found the BX had been spliced mid-wall. The splice included the copper to aluminum joint, twisted together and electrical taped! The armor was cut back 8" on each side of the splice. That by itself was a minimal issue in the overall picture.
The oxidized connection is why the outlet would flicker and also why the tape was partially melted!
I called the guy and invited him to come over so I could hit him in the balls.
He declined. I should have called the city toput a stop to any future permits he might try to pull.
I inspected the remainder of the wiring and that was the only case I found but it only needed to be that one, in my daughters bedroom that would have burned the house to the ground.

We had a couple of fun ones with our previous owner. I don't know if they're that bad or not...
The original house had a 125-amp fuse box. He wanted to put in a breaker box, so he dutifully picked one up and made all of the connections. Of course, it was a 200-amp box and he didn't upgrade the service. I think the wires coming in were a little small to fit the connections, so he very helpfully fired up the machine shop and made some aluminum half moons to fill in the space. We discovered that when one of them corroded enough to drop that leg of the 240VAC connection. It's pretty weird when half of your house has no lights until you turn on the stove, when they suddenly come on very dim.

The other one was the dishwasher installation. He was having trouble finding a neutral wire because the house had knob and tube wiring. So he hooked up the neutral to the water supply pipe. I guess it's a good thing the water heater wasn't big enough to take a shower while running the dishwasher!

We had a couple of fun ones with our previous owner. I don't know if they're that bad or not...
The original house had a 125-amp fuse box. He wanted to put in a breaker box, so he dutifully picked one up and made all of the connections. Of course, it was a 200-amp box and he didn't upgrade the service. I think the wires coming in were a little small to fit the connections, so he very helpfully fired up the machine shop and made some aluminum half moons to fill in the space. We discovered that when one of them corroded enough to drop that leg of the 240VAC connection. It's pretty weird when half of your house has no lights until you turn on the stove, when they suddenly come on very dim.

The other one was the dishwasher installation. He was having trouble finding a neutral wire because the house had knob and tube wiring. So he hooked up the neutral to the water supply pipe. I guess it's a good thing the water heater wasn't big enough to take a shower while running the dishwasher!
Just thinking about possible shock potential there is scary.

Well, yeah.. And if you think about it, it kinda makes sense.. (to a degree, of course!!) Do you want 'average joe' wiring an outlet?
I have an friend who is an electrician and he has seen some seriously dangerous stuff over the years. Electrocutions just looking for a customer.

When I bought the Rav4 I asked the salesperson what they would give me for trade, and he got a sick look on his face. I told him I was kidding, and he looked really relieved.
I looked to trad by 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee when I purchased a new one back just before covid. Beautiful condition, only 85000miles. They would not even accept it. Ended up selling it privately for $5400.

Made a litre of ice cream flavoured with some of those Ladyfinger bananas I showed the other day. That tastes nice!

Now heading out to protest the Rocky Creek Dam extension development. The proposed 50 gigalitre dam will cover 240 hectares (593 acres) of koala habitat and sacred indigenous sites. Not on, my friends. Not on. People seem to forget koalas are an endangered species.

Back